Home Forums General Discussion Recommendations for Gluten-Dairy-Sugar free Cookbooks, Websites, etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    sierrra
    Participant

Hi!

You'll find a wealth of info/recipes online. I have liked the Yahoo Group “Vegan Gluten Free” they have a file full of good recipes. I never cook with butter anymore. Don't need it, don't miss it. I use olive oil for everything. I use agave as a sweetener, though I recently read some interesting things about xylitol and may give that a try. I don't use a lot of sweetener–I don't bake anymore–just not interested in those kinds of foods. Change is gradual, with setbacks, but you eventually get to where you want to be. Each new day is a chance to get back on track.

Sierra

Melinda
    Participant

Hi, since 4/5 of my family has always been vegetarian, and now 3/5 are on GF diets, and 2/5 are on DF diets, we've had to work to find products that everyone likes & can eat to make dinner time easier.  Plus finding good protein sources has always been a big priority.  So, Ancient Harvest corn/quinoa pasta is a big favorite around here.  We especially like the linguine.  Tossed with a little margarine or olive oil, a touch of salt & seasonings, and topped with baked cubed tofu, it's a favorite GF, high-protein vegetarian dinner in our home.  We also really like tacos.  Although we make them with beans vs. hamburger, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese (for those that aren't on a DF diet).  It's an especially inexpensive dinner, too!

Modified to add:  We also use a lot of garbanzo or garfava flour.  It's both high protein and a good binding ingredient.  So, it works well to make a batter for tempura vegetables, and mixed with almond meal, it makes a great GF falafel that my kids love to dip it in ketchup.  😉 

I love this thread.  Thanks everyone!  I'm getting a lot of good info on things that I'd like to try once I'm feeling up to puttering in the kitchen more again!

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Udi's! Udi's! Udi's!

Has anyone tried Udi's products?  My husband was just diagnosed gluten sensitive and when I went to the store, they were serving up some gluten free pizza.  Udi's made the crust and it was delicious.  I also bought their bagels and YUM!!!!

My husband is Mr Picky (he thought junkfood was nutritious) He loves the bagels.  We haven't done the pizza yet, but I ate a bagel this morning and I could not tell the difference. 

It probably has rice flour in it though. 

I mostly eat plain meat and vegetables.  I never was a bread lover. 

Susan

Kim
    Participant

Hey Susan,

It was Eva that first mentioned the Udi's products and I totally agree, they are the best GF I've found.  I used to have to buy them at Whole Foods in Chicago when I was visiting the kids, but now I can buy them locally.  Their whole grain bread is good as are the pizza crusts and bagels.  I pulse it up in the food processor and toast it to use like panko breadcrumbs.  Yummers (as the kids say).  Their granola is amazing ~ I mix that with some greek yogurt and a piece of fresh fruit every morning for breakfast.

Take care….kim

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Oh, I have been MIA from this board for many months and missed Eva's post about Udi's.  So grateful to discover them.  When I was doing gluten free, the rice bread was so horrible I just avoided breads/pastries.  Easy enough for me to do but my husband is a snack fiend.  BTW Glutino's pretzels are better than regular pretzels.

I was in Chicago in August and visited their whole foods store downtown.  Is that the one you went to?  I fell in love with Chicago.  I had no idea it was so pretty.

Susan

Kim
    Participant

[user=86]Susan Lyme/RA[/user] wrote

I was in Chicago in August and visited their whole foods store downtown.  Is that the one you went to?  I fell in love with Chicago.  I had no idea it was so pretty.

I love Chicago too! 😀  I've been to the downtown Whole Foods because both of my kids used to live in the city.  My son has since moved to Michigan, and daughter and family are now in the Chicago burbs near another WF.  Great store, although pricey. :doh:  They have a good website with lots of healthy recipes, including gluten-free.

Take care…..kim

Trudi
    Participant

[user=2523]hopefulmama[/user] wrote:

p.s. Would you please let me know after your testing next week if the high oxalates are helping?  That is interesting to me because I have had to stay away from high oxalate foods due to the IC (those foods cause intense burning) but maybe those are actually herx reactions I am having… so it would be good to know. 

Hi Andrea–

I was at the doctors today and the numbers were fabulous!!  I was so nervous about this visit, because I REALLY wanted this to work!!  My mycoplasma is now non-existant; my Erhlichia is at a 1.5 but at a 0 for bothering my body; and my Lyme is at a 2 and at a 1 for how it affects my body.  The machine indicated no treatment needed for any bacteria :).  Protozoa and Plasmodia need attention–but no antibiotics required and will continue on my oil pulling and flooding my system with high-oxalic foods–no problem there.

I also asked him to test me for dairy and the nuts–two items that I previously showed sensitivity to.  Milk is no longer a no-no :):); and I can now eat almonds and pecans :):).  He said as healing occurs it is not unusual that sensitivities go away.

A couple of days ago I decided to get on my recumbant bike; had stopped using it because I could not get on, bending my knee caused me a LOT of pain.  Unbelievably, there was not an ounce of pain–NONE!!  So I've been biking :)!  Also, I hadn't done a bit of counted cross-stitch for a long time–heck I couldn't even make my fingers work to sew on a button.  I sewed away for 2 1/2 hours straight a couple of weeks back–thought surely I would pay for it the next day.  Nothing!  I am thrilled.  The last thing I noticed is that I can put my shoes on without a shoehorn.  Little things, but little things start to add up.

So there you are–

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Kim
    Participant

Trudi,

I'm blown away by this post!!! 😯 😯 😯

You have hit walls with EVERY treatment you've tried since I've known you.  Now, at long last the tide has turned and, oh my………people get out of your way. :blush:  This is just totally awesome and I couldn't be happier.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for this great news. 😀

Take care…..kim

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Wow Trudi! That is so fantastic to hear. After so long and so much, what a result!:dude:  Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Trudi
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Wow Trudi! That is so fantastic to hear. After so long and so much, what a result!:dude:  Lynnie

Hi Lynnie–

You are actually the reason for this!  Had you not made the comment on rhubarb and oxalic acid a couple of months back, I never would have done more research on the connection.  Many, many thanks for sharing information–

Hi Kim–

This is good news, isn't it!!!!  I have a ways to go–may have to do some physical therapy–I've walked incorrectly for far too long.  However, Dr. Brown did say that once the pain is gone correct movement will come back naturally.  Here's hoping.  BTW, my daughter is pregnant again and is due the end of March.  Maybe this time I'll be able to get on the floor, crawl, and chase behind when the baby is old enough.  🙂

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

hopefulmama
    Participant

Trudi,

I am so thrilled for your wonderful news!  I am about to look up high oxalate foods.  My interstitial cystitis makes eating anything high in oxalates very painful but it would be worth trying for a few months to see if those flares are actually just herxes killing bacteria.  Intriguingly, there is quite a connection between interstitial cystitis and lyme.  You see a lot of crossover between those conditions on lyme boards.

What kind of a machine does your doctor use to test you for sensitivity?

I am really looking forward to my appointment with Dr. McF on Monday and will let you know how it goes.  I have noticed since I stopped eating gluten a week ago that the reflux is mostly gone.  I will have to experiment with that and see whether it was the gluten, or the avocados I was eating with my toast, that were causing the terrible heartburn.

You are an inspiration to me!  🙂  Thank you so much.

Andrea

Trudi
    Participant

[user=2523]hopefulmama[/user] wrote:

What kind of a machine does your doctor use to test you for sensitivity?

Hi Andrea–

Here is some information on electro-dermal screening–

http://bhawc.com/page.php?6

Further explanation posted on Dr. B's website–

http://www.toothbodyconnection.com/What%20is%20CBRS.pdf

I'm looking forward to hearing what Dr. McF has to say.  Based on reading her book and the chapter on her in the Insights to Lyme Treatment she seems not only very knowledgeable but very likeable. 

Take care,

Trudi

sierrra
    Participant

[user=86]Susan Lyme/RA[/user] wrote:

Udi's! Udi's! Udi's!

Susan

Udi's brought me back to gluten free bread. YUM!

Sierra

Kim
    Participant

[user=1037]sierrra[/user] wrote:

[user=86]Susan Lyme/RA[/user] wrote:

Udi's! Udi's! Udi's!

Susan

Udi's brought me back to gluten free bread. YUM!

Sierra

Funny, me too, but is that a good thing??? :roll-laugh: :roll-laugh: :roll-laugh:  I'm trying to keep it low-carb too. :doh:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘ Recommendations for Gluten-Dairy-Sugar free Cookbooks, Websites, etc.’ is closed to new replies.