Home Forums General Discussion Ranboxy vs. Actavis

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jasregadoo

Hi All,

I’m new to the AP, almost one month in. My first rx of Minocycline is capsules made by Ranboxy. It’s too soon to know if they’re helping or not, but I’m wondering if when I refill, if I should ask for another brand? I’ve seen some discussion of Ranboxy and the FDA on this board, and I’m wondering if people have good luck with them.

I called my pharmacy, and asked what other options they have. They said they prefer Ranboxy, but they also have Actavis, so I can refill with that if I prefer.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much,

J

PhilC
    Participant

I won’t recommend one over the other, but here’s a little info for you:

Ranbaxy mino is made in the U.S., and contains no synthetic dyes.
    Actavis mino is made in India, and the 100 mg capsules contain D&C Red No. 28 and D&C Yellow No. 10.

NOTE: This information applies to the U.S. market; it may not be accurate for markets outside the United States.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jasregadoo

I tried to fill my rx with tabelets rather than capsules, and the prices was 6x higher. Capsules are about $50 for 60, tabelets are almost $300 for 60, and brand name Minocin was about $970 for 60. This is all with my insurance.

I’m sticking with my Ranbaxy capsules for now. If they don’t work I may have to rethink things. Frustrating.

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Hello…

I wanted to let you know I started out on the Ranbaxy brand (100mg cap) in Aug 2012, and I’m still taking it today. Never used any of the other brands so I can’t compare. The Ranbaxy brand has worked great for me. In fact, last Oct 2014, my blood worked showed that my R factor was 23.1 a big drop from my high of 615.5. WooHoo!! 😀 lol, I’m very Happy, I’m doing great and I’m pain free!

Mino is the only medi I’m taken for my RA now, and yes, I’m staying on it!! I like this road, and I don’t want to go back to where I was 2-3 years ago.

I’m thinking I was in my 3rd or 4th month on AP before I starting seeing signs of things improving, so yes, give it some time.

Just saying….I didn’t have any problem with the Ranbaxy brand.

Hang in there, you will do great!!
    Take Care!
    Jo Ann

Diagnosed with RA Jan 2012
    Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    Oct 2013-RF has dropped to 40.9!!! Feeling Wonderful!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

jasregadoo

Thanks JoAnn, I appreciate the encouragement.

I’m taking 100mg 1x MWF. I see that you went from that dosage to the higher dosage of 100mg 2x daily, per dr. S. Do you remember the reason for increasing your dose? I’ve been deciding whether to change my dose or not. My dr wrote my prescription for 100mg 2x a day, but I tried that for a week and felt horrible, and when I read the Road Back book, he mostly seems to talk about the 3x a week thing.

So I’m trying to decide how long I go at this dose, and at what point I decide to increase? Any experience would be appreciated.

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Jasregadoo,

I didn’t have an AP doctor nor is there one in my area. While waiting for appointment with the Rheumatology as my Dr recommenced. I decided to send my blood reports and a brief history about myself to Dr S…at that time I was taken Mino 2 x MWF. What Flares and Herxing I was having were very mild, he replied a few days later suggesting I increase my dose of Mino to 2 X a day every day, and stay with the Prednisone until the Mino kicks in. If there were problems I was to back off.
    I was able to take the mino twice a day every day without problems, I know that not the case with everyone.

Don’t forget to detox!! The Lemon-Olive Oil Drink, Epson Salt bath, Coffee enema, etc, etc… You will find they help!!

This is a slow process so take it one day at a time, it will get better one day at a time!

Take Care!!
    Jo Ann

Diagnosed with RA Jan 2012
    Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    Oct 2013-RF has dropped to 40.9!!! Feeling Wonderful!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.