Home Forums General Discussion Question for Richie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Aliciainsandiego
    Participant

Richie: in a post you made a few weeks ago you wrote:
    As to minocin -I protested and got approved the brand over 12 years ago –Still take it !! It costs me more than ten but still very reasonable compared to the regular retail cost of minocin -Still very much in total remission –but too many people relapse after going off the med -so I stay on it with no side effects at all —
    richie
    May I ask where you get your brand Minocin and who the manufacturer is and if its pelletized?
    The “brand” Minocin I got this week from Canadapharmacy.com turned out to be a powdered version from New Zealand with ‘Sigma’ stamped on each capsule. Not gonna take it!! I called them and they said I could return it for a refund.

But now Im looking again for a pelletized version of brand Minocin. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I am determined to find brand Minocin that is pelletized! And I dont care what it costs. 11 years with no RA symptoms is too wonderful to let slip away!!
    Thank You,
    Alicia in San Diego

Rose
    Participant

Hi, I’m with you, my Minocin from Canada pelleted will be running out in February, and I’m not sure what to do next. I’ve had very good luck with it now for seven years and am in remission, no pain etc. So don’t want to jeopardize anything.

jlynne
    Participant

I’m new here and am wondering why you want pelletized minocin? Is there a difference and don’t US pharmacys carry it?

Maz
    Keymaster

@jlynne wrote:

I’m new here and am wondering why you want pelletized minocin? Is there a difference and don’t US pharmacys carry it?

Hi JLynne,

Pelletized Minocin is available in the US in a pea green capsule with one translucent end so that the pellets are visible. Unfortunately, Wyeth, who bought the patent from Lederle, the original manufacturer, sold distribution rights to Triax, a dermatological company, who then inflated the price beyond the reach of most rheumatics…actually, why anyone would want to pay that much for an abx for acne is beyond me. There was probably method in the madness, however, as Wyeth was also producing its blockbuster drug, Enbrel, at the time, so Minocin was in direct competition with this biologic drug. You can read about this here on the main site:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/aboutrbf.display/display_id/255.html

Here is a picture of pelletized Triax/Wyeth Minocin here:

http://www.tmgp.com/minocin.htm

And info about the funky Triax zit paks:

http://www.triaxpharma.com/which_page_8.html

Because brand name Minocin is so expensive here in the US and most insurance carriers won’t cover it, some people are able to use the “GERD” card in order to get it approved. This is because the pellets dissolve lower in the gut and are less likely to exacerbate reflux. Otherwise, it’s almost impossible to get brand name Minocin approved. This is why folk here have been buying Stiefel brand Minocin from Canadian pharmacies now for some years as Canada imposes ceilings on drug prices. Wyeth also sold distribution rights to various pharmaceuticals around the world, including Stiefel. However, Stiefel just got sold to Glaxo Smith Kline and is going through legal battles and, hence, has halted production of their brand of pelleted Minocin (which was produced in a two-tones indigo/orange capsule). Stocks have now run out, so rheumatic patients are now either having to consider other options (generics or other minocycline brand names) or having to negotiate with their insurance companies to get the Triax brand approved. Unfortunately, it’s caused a lot of people to be very concerned about how they can continue the treatment upon which they’ve depended for years to maintain their remission. There are various generics out there that many here swear by, but everyone’s experience tends to be unique and it’s really a question of trying one particular generic and seeing how it works. Some folk need to be particularly careful if they are sensitive to certain capsule dyes or medication fillers. Some compounding pharmacies, however, seem to be able to produce pure minocycline without the dyes and fillers, but one would need to shop around.

Hope the above helps some. I know this is upsetting for lots of folk right now, but there isn’t much anyone can do except try to get insurance carrier approval or try a different brand/generic.

richie
    Participant

Hi–The brand is readily available in the US –its made by Triax –it is pellitized –problem is cost –it is quite expensive —If an insurance company turns down approving the brand an insured has the right to an appeal –a form is requested from the ins. co. and one should have their doctor supply a reason why it is a “medical necessity” –As Maz pointed out GERD is a reason –a doctor might also point out that the brand is the only “modified release ” available in minocycline and it is to a patients benefit to have that . I might add I successfully appealed about 12 years ago –the climate with insurers has changed drastically and it is most likely more difficult to win an appeal —
    richie

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Regarding insurance coverage for brand Minocin, after 5 plus years of Jess being on brand Minocin, several weeks ago we got the notice from our insurance company that our copay was going up from $45 per month to just over $800 per month, we were told we could appeal.

I asked our AP doc to write the appeal letter, he protested, said it wouldn’t work, but wrote it anyway. We got word yesterday that the appeal was APPROVED! We feel very lucky!

Do the appeal if you are denied!

Cheryl

richie
    Participant

Hi good for you –great job !!!!!!
    richie

Eva Holloway
    Participant

The only problem is that I am on Medicare and with the high price of Minocin I would be in the doughnut hole fast, so I will have to see what I can get. Another meds not being available is Biaxin which is the other medication I take so I am out of luck.
    Eva

Eva Holloway

richie
    Participant

Hi–you might look into a generic made by a reputable co. –there was a discussion awhile back about generics –Watson &Teva are just two the come to mind –there are others also –
    Richie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.