Home Forums General Discussion Question about herxing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RAinPA
    Participant

I am 29 and have RA. I’ve started the AP therapy about two weeks ago, 100mg M W F. I’ve been pretty lucky with not really being in a whole lot of pain lately. Most all of my pain was last year around this time when I was still in the process of being diagnosed. This morning when I woke up, my left ankle hurt more than usual. This evening, I can barely walk on it. I didn’t twist it or do anything out of the ordinary to hurt it. From the beginning of all this, my left ankle has been what’s given me the most problems but nothing like this before. My hubby even gave me his grandma’s old cane to help me walk. My question is…could this be a herx or do you usually feel pain all over when herxing? ANy advice as to how to help ease the pain? I took some ibprophen but it doesn’t seem to have helped at all. I work full time and this is our busy season so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Maz
    Keymaster

@RAinPA wrote:

My question is…could this be a herx or do you usually feel pain all over when herxing? ANy advice as to how to help ease the pain? I took some ibprophen but it doesn’t seem to have helped at all.

Hi RAinPA,

Well, this is the hundred million dollar question around here, so you hit the jackpot! 😉

The timing of your exacerbation in symptoms fits the profile in terms of timing of a herx, though it varies between everyone. Some folk feel a herx coming on within hours of their first few doses….others will start to experience it a few weeks in. A lot probably depends on pathogen load (what the abx are targeting), antibiotics being used and dose.

A herx is generally described as an transient immunological exacerbation of existing symptoms, though there may be other symptoms that arise, too (possibly depending on where the bugs are hiding out). The following link describes the classic symptoms of herxing:

http://roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/91.html

Labs can “herx,” too, for a while. In other words, existing disease labs might worsen and elevate, like RF, anti-CCP, SED and cardio-CRP. Brown was able to distinguish flaring from herxing with specific labs, which are described at the following link:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-The-51540

I think I’ve probably experienced the full gamut (touch wood!) of herxing symptoms with all the Lyme protocols I’ve been on…everything from worsening of joint pain and swelling, myalgias, fevers, rashes, crashing fatigue, malaise, brain fog, etc. Duration of herxes have varied for me, too. In the beginning, they were loooong (initial herx lasted 3 months)…but every time I’ve switched up my protocol, they have become more tolerable and shorter in duration. I am on Lyme protocols, though, which hit a number of infections, and Lyme docs like to switch things up regularly to chase out the bugs….not really comparable to low dose AP. 😉

One of the best ways I’ve found to relieve the symptoms of herxing is to use a sauna (though not if a fever is present) to sweat out the circulating toxins and to replace lost fluids with lots and lots of fresh water. There are many other methods to help with the symptoms of die-off, like epsom/peroxide baths, the lemon/olive oil detox drink, tri-salts, ensuring bowels remain regular, etc. I’ve also done liver flushing, which I’ve found to be fantastic for reducing inflammation.

Here are a couple links to read about what one can do to alleviate herxing:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/124.html

See FAQ #6 at the following link (which is really FAQ#7, but a typo, I think):

http://www.rheumatic.org/faq.htm

kolby
    Participant

Hi RAinPA,

This is a great post! I’m on my second week of AP 100 mg M/W/F as well and had the same question. I wasn’t having any pain either prior to starting Minocycline but on Tuesday my right knee felt like I had had a really bad wipeout while running at a pretty high speed and pulled some ligaments. Then it subsided yesterday and nothing today. Then today around noon my hip started bothering me

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Jen/RAinPA – have you read up on herxing? A common starting time is around the 2 week mark after starting AP (though not everyone fits that pattern). There is good info on our main site, in The New Arthritis Breakthrough and, as Maz has said, at rheumatic.org FAQ’s.

My personal experience in 2003 was similar. No pain before starting (the palindromic nature of my particular condition). Then the herx started at around week 2 (although week one was slight nausea and dizzyness). It seemed to travel in quite a structured way through various parts of my body. There was just something different about it so I knew it was a herx – and I was overjoyed! In some people, they find they get pain in the first place their rheumatic condition seemed to begin. Reading up as much as you can about what to expect will serve you well on this journey. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

kolby
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

Please forgive us Newbie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

@kolby wrote:

Hi Lynnie,

Please forgive us Newbie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

RAinPA
    Participant

Thank you all for your responses and to Maz for the links. I have read about herxing but like Jen said, it’s comforting to hear from others who have gone through it themselves. I do have the book and am a little over 3/4 finished with it, I’m so glad that I did decide to get it becuase there is so much info in there and anytime I think of another question, I always look to the book for answers. Update: My ankle is feeling a little better now but is still tender depending on how I move it and I can not be on it for long periods of time. But I have had some aches and pains that are not very normal for me, as well as pain in my stomach. Not sure if all of this is related or not but I am definately not giving up!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.