Home Forums General Discussion Question about dosage of Allopurinol

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Maciej P.
    Participant

Dear All,

I have decided to go for so called “Wyburn-Mason” protocol (arthritistrust.org/how-to-get-well/ ) … I got already prescription from my doctor (Allopurionl + Metronidazole), however I have one problem regarding Allopurinol dosage.

In the protocol it is said to take Allopurionol: 3x300mg per day for 7 days (means 900mg per day).

However my doctor said to start with 100mg, and increase to 300mg max (still 600mg below protocol dosage). In my country it is said not to exceed 800mg per day (but even then, start slowly with 100mg per day …. BUT protocol says about 900mg!!).

What should I do? I would like to strictly fullfill the protocol… however I am VERY AFRAID about this Allopurion dosage…. please advice!! 🙁

March 2016:
    31 y.o. male, Poland, Europe.
    Diagnosed with RA (started as palindromic rheumatism) at age 28 (SED negative, RF negative, CRP negative, Lyme negative, Chlamydia negative, ANA highly positive, aCCP/ACPA higly positive.
    Treated with sulfasalazine - no success. Chloroquine - no success. NSAID - no success.
    Treated with MTX injections (10mg->15mg->20mg->15mg->12,5mg->10mg->5mg) for 2years. Almost total remission. 3 months after MTX quit - got RA again with trippled strength.

Linda L
    Participant

I don’t know the answer. I hope the others will help you, but please keep us informed. This is interesting.
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Maciej,

It seems that the maximum dose is 900 mg in some countries. For example:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/25728
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/gout/treatments.aspx

Perhaps you should follow your doctor’s instructions and see how you react to the drug. Then, if all goes well and there are no serious side effects, you could follow the protocol’s recommendation.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Maciej P.
    Participant

ok… so 900mg is max dosage… fine… thanks PhilC

the problem is that in protocol I should take 900mg per day – there is no info about starting low dosage -> and increase… maybe I take 1 pill a day before and see what happens.

thanks anyway… will update how it works.

March 2016:
    31 y.o. male, Poland, Europe.
    Diagnosed with RA (started as palindromic rheumatism) at age 28 (SED negative, RF negative, CRP negative, Lyme negative, Chlamydia negative, ANA highly positive, aCCP/ACPA higly positive.
    Treated with sulfasalazine - no success. Chloroquine - no success. NSAID - no success.
    Treated with MTX injections (10mg->15mg->20mg->15mg->12,5mg->10mg->5mg) for 2years. Almost total remission. 3 months after MTX quit - got RA again with trippled strength.

richie
    Participant

This board and folks here are primarily dedicated to the use of antibiotic in the treatment of rheumatoid diseases —THere are many folks here who while not doctors are both knowledgeable and have personal experiences in the use of antibiotics to treat rheumatoid diseases–Allopurinol is not an antibiotic and to the best of my knowledge in my 16 years or so around here -no one has ever even mentioned this drug which is used primarily as a gout drug —I personally dont think you can get any type of useful advice in terms of dosage etc from anyone here —

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.