Home Forums General Discussion Question about antibiotics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BJK7493@aol.com
    Participant

I am currently on Minoc100mg daily.  Have been short of breath so Rheumy did chest x-ray.  showed I have Bronchitis, so now he is putting me on Levaquin for 5 days.  Is it ok to mix the 2 antibitoics or should I stop the mino for 5 days?  I'm confused on what to do.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

That is a question best posed to your pharmacist.  They know which drugs are contraindicated. 

If you have to go off the mino while on the Levaquin, I don't think that would be too problematic.  I know of a couple people who have used Levaquin as a part of their antibiotic protocol, so, in my opinion, overall, it seems like a good thing to add a bit of Levaquin to the mix for a short course, with or without the mino.  You never know, Levaquin might be just what you need to knock out some of the bugs that mino won't touch.

Good Luck!

Cheryl

BJK7493@aol.com
    Participant

Thanks for your response.  I guess I never thought of the combination being a positive thing!

Thanks again

Julie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Julie,

How long have you been taking Minocin? I seem to recall that you haven't been on it for long. Is that correct?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

BJK7493@aol.com
    Participant

I have been on Minocin since May 2010. Does that make a difference?

Julie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Julie,

You stopped taking Minocin because of terrible itching. How long were you off of it?

Your doctor told you that you have bronchitis. Have you been coughing a lot?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

NineNineSeven
    Participant

I really hate to do this, but just be very cautious with Levaquin and any of the quinolone ab's. Several years ago (unrelated to my PsA) I was given Levaquin for an infection and almost immediately experienced extreme pain in my achilles tendons. The prescribing Dr told me I was crazy. A little research showed me that many people experienced this strange side effect.

Since then, the quinolones have been required to carry a warning about it and it is a known side effect.

Of course your mileage may vary, but I was one of the people who had this reaction. I've steered clear of them since.

Michael

BJK7493@aol.com
    Participant

Thank You.  I will keep this in mind.

BJK7493@aol.com
    Participant

Phil, I went back on the Minocin after I had the AP therapy August 15 at the advise of Dr. S in Ida Grove.  I had only been off it about a week. I have been SOB for a couple of weeks so I insisted on having a chest x-ray.  Some coughing but nothing terrible.  More back pain mid level with some chills and sweats.  The radiologists at the hospital is the one is stated it was Bronchitis so that is why he wanted to cover me with Levaquin.  He said due to the high dose steroids I have been on for so long he felt we needed some coverage in that area.

Julie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.