Home Forums General Discussion Probiotics Created Equal?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BellaB
    Participant

Just started AP mino 100mg MWF, and AP dr. has recommended “Probiophage” by Designs for Health as the best probiotic to take. Another dr. (GI) recommended VSL #3 as the best. Should a patient consider taking more than one type of probio more than once during the day? (one a.m. & one p.m.?) or can we take too much? I may also be put on Cipro for a “Proteus Mirabilis” bacterial infection just recognized.

BellaB

BG
    Participant

No, not all probiotics are created equal. In fact, some can be quite bad for you.

VSL#3 is medical grade, has lots of research behind it, and is used by doctors in hospital settings.

I have seen Probiophage recommended by functional medicine practitioners but I have never tried it nor have I seen any research on it.

VSL#3 would contain everything you need so it wouldn’t be wise to add another probiotic other than what is contained in fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, kimchi, etc.

Barb

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Bella,
    @BellaB wrote:

Should a patient consider taking more than one type of probio more than once during the day? (one a.m. & one p.m.?) or can we take too much?

That’s the approach I use and recommend. By using diversification, you protect yourself against unknown factors, such as products that aren’t really as potent as the manufacturer claims, occasional quality control failures (which can happen at any company), probiotics that were improperly stored prior to your receiving them, etc.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi The major problem with all probiotics –including mine -is that they give you the count when the capsule -etc is first made –no one gives a retail shelf count –as a certain amount is usually lost –some more -some less –I would think whichever one someone uses –if it agrees and prevents fungal issues -thats a keeper !
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Richie,
    @richie wrote:

Hi The major problem with all probiotics –including mine -is that they give you the count when the capsule -etc is first made –no one gives a retail shelf count –as a certain amount is usually lost –some more -some less

Actually, with some probiotics the potency listed on the label is less than what it was at the time of manufacture, and they are usually guaranteed to be at least that potent up until the expiration date. For example, the potency of Gr8-Dophilus is, according to label, 4.0 billion organisms per capsule. This statement is also present on the label: “Each capsule contains 11 billion live organisms at time of manufacture. Store in a cool, dry place. Refrigeration is recommended after opening to provide a potency of 4 billion live organisms through the Best By date.”

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

BellaB
    Participant

Not quite sure how to use this “quote” function (?).

“VSL#3 would contain everything you need so it wouldn’t be wise to add another probiotic other than what is contained in fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, kimchi, etc.”

Sounds like there are differing opinions on whether to take more than one probio at a time… Our doc is new to AP and she didn’t give direction on this question either. I would have thought the more strains the better. Knowing you are buying from a reputable source sounds problematic as well… (Ie if strains die from bad storage prior to buying).

BellaB

BG
    Participant

It would be wise to take more than one probiotic if the ones you are taking contain only 1, or 3, organisms, so that you get a wider range of coverage. For example, Culturelle, a widely researched and highly recommended probiotic discovered at Tufts University in 1985, contains only Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG so you may want to supplement that with a Bifidobacterium (animalis a.k.a. lactis, bifudum, or infantis a.k.a. longus) or whatever.

VSL#3 is a high-potency medical grade probiotic containing 8 strains (http://www.vsl3.com/discover.asp) so to add another probiotic supplement would be too much. One can develop life-threatening infections, including sepsis, if one isn’t careful with the use of probiotic supplements.

If you really want to know what your body is lacking, thereby taking the guesswork out of it, you can order the GI Effects Comprehensive Stool Analysis from Genova Diagnostics via LabCorp (https://www.gdx.net/product/gi-effects-comprehensive-stool-test) I completed this test recently and learned I needed to supplement with Lactobacillus spp. and Bacteroidetes Phylum specifically to correct a serious imbalance.

Barb

BG
    Participant

You may find this wikipedia article helpful in understanding the good and the bad of gut flora and the different needs of different populations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Not quite sure how to use this “quote” function (?).

Hi Bella
    Copy the text you want to quote (Ctrl + C) then paste it into your reply post text box (Ctrl + V). Then highlight that text and click on the quote function. 😀 😀

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

BellaB
    Participant

I did have the Genova GI Effects/stool profiles analysis tested Recently (it found Proteus mirabilis bacteria) but then I received no direction from the doc as to any action we were taking next. I’ll go back to her. Thank you all for your input-

test quote:

If you really want to know what your body is lacking, thereby taking the guesswork out of it, you can order the GI Effects Comprehensive Stool Analysis from Genova Diagnostics via LabCorp

BellaB

domgro
    Participant

I want to buy VSL#3 when I start with the AP,but if I would have to take 1 bag each day it would be too expensive.
    is it possible to split the bags for 2 or 3 days,since it has so much more bacteria than other probiotics?

BG
    Participant

I avoided that problem by purchasing the capsules. I also found that two capsules per day were too much for me, causing me digestive problems (pain, bloating), so I now take only one capsule per day with no problems.

I suggest you start slow, with the capsules, starting with only one capsule per day, building to two capsules per day only if needed. After you’ve done that, if you feel you need more probiotic, then order VSL#3 in the packets.

domgro
    Participant

dividing one bag into 3 parts lasts longer and has more bacteria than one capsule.

I think I’ll buy the powder

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.