Home Forums General Discussion potassium p-aminobenzoate no longer available in Canada

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Denyse
    Participant

I have been taking potassium p-aminobenzoate for many years now along with Minocin. Before I started taking it my face was very sore and stiff, now I just found out today that it is no longer available in Canada. My pharmacist told me it is available OTC in the states. From my searches online it doesn’t really seem that it is that readily available OTC. Is there anybody that may be able to look at some of the stores for me to see if it is available OTC or not?
    potassium p-aminobenzoate or POTABA 500 mg capsules
    Thanks

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

According to drugs.com it is prescription only.

Denyse
    Participant

I think I figured out that my pharmacist was referring to PABA being the same thing as Potaba.
    Paba you can buy OTC but I do not think it is exactly the same thing. So back to trying to figure out what I am going to do next.

Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ

Maz
    Keymaster

@Denyse wrote:

I have been taking potassium p-aminobenzoate for many years now along with Minocin. Before I started taking it my face was very sore and stiff, now I just found out today that it is no longer available in Canada. My pharmacist told me it is available OTC in the states. From my searches online it doesn’t really seem that it is that readily available OTC. Is there anybody that may be able to look at some of the stores for me to see if it is available OTC or not?
    potassium p-aminobenzoate or POTABA 500 mg capsules
    Thanks

Hi Denyse,

The following online pharmacy in Winnipeg seems to be offering this, if it’s the same stuff:

http://www.jandrugs.com/canadian-pharmacy/drugs/name/potassium+aminobenzoate

If not, have you tried asking any Canadian compounding pharmacies if it can be made up for you?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Denyse,

I would contact the manufacturer to see if they can confirm what your pharmacist told you.

http://www.glenwood-llc.com/contact.html

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Denyse
    Participant

Denyse,

The following online pharmacy in Winnipeg seems to be offering this, if it’s the same stuff:

http://www.jandrugs.com/canadian-pharmacy/drugs/name/potassium+aminobenzoate

If not, have you tried asking any Canadian compounding pharmacies if it can be made up for you?

Hi Maz, I just got a few phone numbers in Winnipeg today and I am also going to check out your link as well, hopeful I will get this figured out, Thank You ๐Ÿ˜€

medical MJ

Denyse
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi Denyse,

I would contact the manufacturer to see if they can confirm what your pharmacist told you.

http://www.glenwood-llc.com/contact.html

Phil

Hi Phil, this is what I was getting but the patent for Canada ran out, and there will be a longterm shortage till another company picks up the generic. As Name Brand Patents run out in Canada they will be replaced with Generic and we will no longer have the brands, sad that that one was slipped in quickly without Canadians knowing much about it. I suspect there will be lots in the same boat as me as these patents expire and it becomes the generic game.

medical MJ

Denyse
    Participant

@Denyse wrote:

Denyse

Hi Maz, I just got a few phone numbers in Winnipeg today and I am also going to check out your link as well, hopeful I will get this figured out, Thank You ๐Ÿ˜€

Hi Maz, I just contacted the pharmacy from the link you gave me and they just cater to people living in the states, no big surprise. ๐Ÿ™

medical MJ

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Denyse,

As an alternative, you might want to try MSM. I recall reading about someone with scleroderma who got good results by taking MSM.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Denyse
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi Denyse,

As an alternative, you might want to try MSM. I recall reading about someone with scleroderma who got good results by taking MSM.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I may have to give that a try. ๐Ÿ˜€

medical MJ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.