Home Forums General Discussion Please help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kcdrake
    Participant

I am writing this for my mother who is 58 and was hit HARD with RA last november. She’s been on the Antibiotic protocol for 9 months now and just seems to be doing worse. I know its a slow process but ANY advice is appreciated. I will list her antibiotics and if anyone has had success with other antibiotics we’d love to know and try something different.

She’s taking fluconazole which i believe is a generic
    she’s also taking name brand Minocine
    She goes for IV’s once a month and receives something called cleo,
    15 mg prednisone and 5 ibuprofen a day just to get out of bed

She’s gone gluten, dairy free, organic and also takes a bunch of different anti imflammatory supplements, MSM,

We need to try something new and would love advice… Thank you

Karel
    Participant

Hello kcdrake, I can only tell what I have done so far, but your doctor is the one to discuss this with. Different doctors prescribe different rates of Mino, hopefully experienced based. You might suggest a change in rate if the current amount doesn’t do the job. Also, I started checking for Lyme after 4 months with no success on mino, which could open a complete new chapter. Success!

Calida
    Participant

@kcdrake wrote:

I am writing this for my mother who is 58 and was hit HARD with RA last november. She’s been on the Antibiotic protocol for 9 months now and just seems to be doing worse…..

We need to try something new and would love advice… Thank you

Hi kc,

Perhaps you can ask your mother’s doctor about LDN? Many with autoimmune disease, including MS and Crohn’s, have found relief without side effects. My doctor prescribed it last July, he feels it’s a supportive adjunct to AP, and it helped with inflammation (as an immuno-modulator) and progression. It also increases endogenous endorphin production and I found pain relief a great benefit. I was able to stop using Vicodin for pain and now only use Advil on occasion.

Anecdotally, there are mixed reviews from those with RA. As my AP doctor says, when it works, it’s great and in the LDN community many say Can’t hurt, might help.

I’ve included a link to a published study at the NIH.gov site under Clinical Rheumatology called “The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic pain”.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3962576/#!po=26.7857

Wishing the best for your Mom,
    Cali

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

kcdrake
    Participant

Thank you soooo much Cali, we are definitely open minded and will research and talk with her doctor. It’s just such a comfort talking to other people going through this and its not even me!!!! I just love my mom so much and its hard to see her suffer. Thank you for the suggestion.

Kelly

kcdrake
    Participant

And thank you Karel, that is what we were thinking next, maybe talking to her doc about uping her dose. She still has not been officially tested for lymes. That is on the list next too… He doctor thinks it might have started as lymes and transformed to RA. That doesn’t make sense to me but there is soooo much we don’t know. Thank you for the suggestions.

Maz
    Keymaster

@kcdrake wrote:

He doctor thinks it might have started as lymes and transformed to RA. That doesn’t make sense to me but there is soooo much we don’t know.

Hi ckdrake,

If this helps, this video explains how Lyme can mimic and trigger autoimmunity, like RA:

http://www.envita.com/conditions-we-treat/lymedisease

The video is very much in alignment with the way Dr. Brown perceived the infectious causes of rheumatic diseases. It’s all a bit more complex than described in the video, but it helps to visualize how bacterial endotoxins set up the scene to create what is effectively a “self-attack” that is caused by the bugs tricking the immune system.

kcdrake
    Participant

thank you Maz,
    That was a very informative video for us non-medical people. : ) So, she has not been tested for lyme but I think she needs to. If she does test positive for lyme how does the treatment differ from AP?
    Thank you for your time and help…

kelly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.