Home Forums General Discussion plateau

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ablegirl
    Participant

Not sure what to do. I have not seen any improvement in bloodmarkers since Nov, 2011.
    brief summary:-

JUNE 2011ESR 48 CRP 23
    AUG 2011 ESR 43 CRP 19 Started Minocin July 2011
    Nov 2011 ESR 30 CRP 11
    Feb 2012 ESR 32,CRP 13
    APR 2012 ESR 36,CRP16

My blood markers seem to be going the wrong way, up instead of down. Strangely I feel better in that I do not have the terrible burning and joint soreness but I am terribly stiff. Just had an appt with Rheumy at local hospital. She amazingly is ok with me self prescribing Minocin as I told her it had definitely helped and she even recognized its efficacy although said it was a weak DMARD as opposed to Methotrexate which she believes to be the gold standard(no surprise there). We discussed possibly adding in Plaquenil and she has left this decison with me for the moment. I would be willing to take this if i thought it would help lower inflammation levels. I am at the moment puzzled by the Minocin and as to why no reduction in blood markers although my joints are definitely less swollen and I feel better generally apart from very bad stiffness. I currently take Brand Minocin 100mg MWF. Should I possibly up the dose to 100mg every day.

Any ideas or advise would be very much appreciated.

BG
    Participant

Killing off pathogens can cause an increase in inflammation. You really should be taking something to lower the inflammation which, in turn, will help the antibiotics do its work. Aspirin, NSAIDS, prednisone and Plaquenil lower inflammation. Many people here do various things to detox which also helps lower inflammation. If you haven’t tried any of these things, you may want to start with one or another until you find one that works for you.

Plaquenil is safe and also kills off certain types of pathogens. It can take several months before you notice any benefits from it so you have to be patient. Exactly six months after starting Plaquenil, I suddenly felt benefits throughout my body (less pain and inflammation throughout) so I know it works. It may not be enough for you but it definitely can help.

Barb

PhilC
    Participant

@ablegirl wrote:

We discussed possibly adding in Plaquenil and she has left this decison with me for the moment. I would be willing to take this if i thought it would help lower inflammation levels. I am at the moment puzzled by the Minocin and as to why no reduction in blood markers although my joints are definitely less swollen and I feel better generally apart from very bad stiffness. I currently take Brand Minocin 100mg MWF.
    Should I possibly up the dose to 100mg every day.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Personally, if I were in your situation, I would not be inclined to try Plaquenil until I have given the daily minocycline a chance to work. And even then, I would probably want to try natural anti-inflammatories before I would consider trying Plaquenil.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

cavalier
    Participant

I have been reading a ton lately about iron excess iron – which there are 3 blood tests to determine if you have excess iron in your blood to begin with but IF this shows to be the case it not only acts as a oxiditive rust in the body – one needs to not be too low either but if in excess this has 2 bearings – one is this causes antibotic resistance & the other is bacteria needs & like excess iron to live ! This issue is compounded by iron enriched foods & also age as we approach our 50’s we need less iron & due ot women not menstrating anymore along with northern european descent having if you have high iron you can then be tested but not always accurate in DNA for HH which means this disease makes you absorb more iron 30 % instead of only 10% that others do – even if you are only a carrier & not affected with HH you still can absorb more – estimated is one out of 4 are carriers with this descent. Sweden in the 40’s put extra iron into foods enriched now has banned due to iron overload & the risks. I lost alot of what I read when my PC went down but certainly you can look into this.

There is a increased Risk in being Irish in having SD & this springboarded into my finding this – increased iron can cause increased calcium but more than just irish can have this increased absorption of iron.

But I mention this as certainly if this is the case – then one can have a harder time getting the effectiveness of the AP – I have not seen this discusssed here before. One if this is found to be in excess in the blood for iron would want to watch excess iron & consider ways to get excess out – one is giving blood but has to be every month. This can reduce arthritis too if one has symptoms some do some do not but other risks if this continues – IF the iron is high – then there is increased risk of a Bacterial infection so certianly this is mentioned as to the link for increased risk of what we call autoimmune diseases – so one can in turn lead to another –
    I felt I plateued & I went looking for any reason why – I am 1/ english & 1/2 Irish & you can bet I am going to check my Iron levels just to rule in or out – also in general it is stated by some doc’s on their sites once in your 50’s to decrease enriched iron foods is enough in regular foods as you dont need as much anymore for both sexes – but my doc’s never mentioned this – i looked at my cheerios oh my – but regular oatmeal you cook has none – other cereals & Cream of wheat Malto meal etc – when you are young it is fine not so much older excessive iron is credited to accerlated aging & this alone can increase risk of what we call autoimmune & diseases.
    Best Jill SD

ablegirl
    Participant

Barb, Phil, Jill

Thank-you all for your replies they are very much appreciated.

Barb, I would love to believe it is the release of toxins in my blood that may be causing the increase in inflammation caused by the Minocin doing its job. This may well be the case and I am definitely going to get on the case of greater detoxing measures. The pessimist in me thinks it is just the continuing RA, mechanism unknown. I feel bettter so that in itself is something but one always wants to see things borne out scientifically with in this case normal blood results.

Phil, I think that my next course of action will be to increase the minocin to 100 mg, 5 days a week. Glad that that would be your recommendation too. I obviously am trying to delay adding in another DMARD.

Jill, Thanks for your post I will have to do some research myself on the subject. My haemoglobin level is low, I am on the verge of anemia, so I don’t think excess iron is a problem for me, probably the reverse.

I suppose the battle continues.

cavalier
    Participant

Hi Ablegirl – on the flip side of having low iron there are also side affects to be aware of – one wants to be neither if they can – am glad you know your iron levels – I need to find mine out.

Best – Jill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.