Home Forums General Discussion Placenta-derived stem-cell growth factors

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marypart
    Participant

We’re considering injections of placenta and cord derived stem cells in the joints for my son. Has anyone tried these?

Maz
    Keymaster

@marypart wrote:

We’re considering injections of placenta and cord derived stem cells in the joints for my son. Has anyone tried these?

Hi Mary,

I haven’t tried these, but would consider stem cell for cartilage re-growth prior to considering a knee replacement any day.

There are a number of Lyme patients with rheumatic and neurologic involvement going down to Panama for stem cell therapy and I understand it’s less expensive. I was trying to locate some research I’d come across on donated fetal, placenta and cord stem cell treatments that intimated (although my memory recall is poor on this) that this may bear more risks for excessive cell growth (e.g. tumors) than using one’s own adipose tissue to harvest mesynchymal stem cells for autologous-adipose transplant…that is, less risky and in terms of “clean” tissue and rejection, too. I’m sorry I can’t locate this again, but you may find it somewhere on the following site….this hospital is, I think, affiliated with Hopkins, but not working on this particular treatment in tandem with the Panama hospital.

http://www.cellmedicine.com/

The Better Health Guy’s blog also outlines his visit to this facility for stem cell therapy for his neuro-borreliosis and seems that some Lyme patients are going or considering going there for this treatment in online chatter I’ve encountered, but you’ll find YouTube testimonials on the above site, too:

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/235-panama-stem-cell-therapy

My only concern about stem cell into joints is that it is done when a person reaches remission, because continuing damage will likely occur if the rheumatic disease is still active – a pointless exercise. However, the way the Panama Hosp is using stem cell for rheumatic disease is to infuse stem cells via IV to also re-set immune function, in addition to joint shots, so this makes better sense. Although some folk seem to experience immediate results, results in general probably come gradually over a period of months after the therapy. My LLMD asked me if I’d considered stem cell, but the type he was describing was harvesting stem cells from one’s own blood (as is done at Regenexx here in the US). The therapy offered in Panama just makes more sense to me than blood-derived stem cell treatments and safer (until we know more) than donated tissue stem cell therapy, which are variably effective.

I was talking to my Dad about this topic and he said veterinary surgeons have been using this technique on injured race horses and other animals with success for years, but this is similar to what Regenexx is offering (for injuries and osteo rather than inflammatory degenerative diseases).

Is this what you were looking for and help any? We’re really an AP-focused discussion forum, so these types of alternative therapies might be discussed more on the Lyme groups, like LymeNet…have you tried there?

MLTelfer
    Participant

Hi Mary….you have been very nice in reponding to my posts about my 21 year old son havin psoriatic arthritis. I am new to the board and cannot figure out the personal message system. You mentioned about having a doctor on the eastern seaboard that helped your son a lot. I have made an appointment in to see a doctor in Los angeles that looks good, but if you know of one closer to home (Tampa) I would love to reseach him. Could you PM his name to me? Or perhaps email his name to me at mltelf@aol.com? Not sure if this breaks protocol with board rules, but I am tring to figure out who to take him to. He gets out of school in May so he can have herx during the summer if that is what awaits him. Thank you…Mark

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I am new to the board and cannot figure out the personal message system.

Hi Mark – you will need to post 3 times before you can send/receive Private Messages (PM’s). It’s a spam preventive measure. To send a PM after this, click on where it ‘0 new messages’ above left. Use the forum user name of the person to whom you are sending, click add, then type in your message and click on submit. BTW, messages in this system stay in the Outbox until the recipient picks them up – a little anomaly that can make you think they haven’t been sent.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

cavalier
    Participant

A Stem cell place in Calif. is supposed to reset the immune system from your own stem cells from fat. They are treated 1st I think it was ultraviolet light & maybe something else too – they grow them for a bit & check them before re-implanting them over 7 days. It’s similiar to Panama. The idea is to try to have those stem cells help to reset the immune system again – it may take sometimes a 2nd treatment. The question is in stem cells that have been treated like this or wth the bone marrow transplants is how long this will last. Some doc’s argue or have seen a time limit in how long this treatment can last – some say depends on the person & the technique 2 yr’s is the shorter window & 7 yr’s is another time frame sometimes a bit more. The deal is this can be expensive & knowing there can be limitations.

My vet does stem cell work, has for yr’s in dogs mostly- but his work is what Maz said so far limited to arthritis joints & he told me as I have a dog who had a bit of arthritis, that this benefit could only last 6 months to 2 yr’s max. Cost was 2,500. I used Cold Laser Therapy on her hip instead cost for 9 treatments was 60 bucks & this was 2 yr’s ago now & she has not had any issues since then. She really loved the Cold Laser treatments & they are using this application up in Canada for human patients at times as they deem fit.
    My vet used to use a bank for harvesting, but now does his own using fat to do the harvesting.
    I have joked with him saying to list me as a Mastiff & try it out on me. 😆

Jill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.