Home Forums General Discussion Pancreatic duct dilation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anne-Marie
    Participant

Can anyone help me here please? I have been using minocycline since 2009 and in 2011 had my gallbladder removed. January 2012 I had a dilated pancreatic duct. I have been monitored and my latest MRI showed more dilation of the duct. Does anyone know of a connection between minocycline use and this dilation of the pancreatic duct? I wondering whether it may be in my interests to stop taking the mino. I am terrified as my father died from pancreatic cancer in 2008. I am in a flare atm and have been since september. I take the mino…. mon, tue, wed, thurs, fri.
    Many thanks.
    Anne-Marie.

Maz
    Keymaster

@Anne-Marie wrote:

Can anyone help me here please? I have been using minocycline since 2009 and in 2011 had my gallbladder removed. January 2012 I had a dilated pancreatic duct. I have been monitored and my latest MRI showed more dilation of the duct. Does anyone know of a connection between minocycline use and this dilation of the pancreatic duct? I wondering whether it may be in my interests to stop taking the mino. I am terrified as my father died from pancreatic cancer in 2008. I am in a flare atm and have been since september. I take the mino…. mon, tue, wed, thurs, fri.
    Many thanks.
    Anne-Marie.

Hi Anne-Marie,

I always remember you, because we both had old boyfriend’s from Barlaston! 😉

I did some checking around and it seems that dilated pancreatic ducts are mostly caused by chronic inflammation of the pancreas (or chronic pancreatitis). Whether minocycline is a cause of this isn’t clear. I couldn’t find any connection online, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one either. Do you get regular labs run of your pancreatic enzymes?

As you’re concerned about the familial risk of pancreatic cancer, have you considered LDN (low dose naltrexone) and IV ALA (alpha lipoic acid) treatment? If not, you may want to look into this. I use oral ALA and many here use LDN as an adjunct to their minocycline or other AP.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20042414

http://ict.sagepub.com/content/5/1/83.short

There is a new UK AP Physician in Surrey, if you’re interested, Anne-Marie. Would also suggest checking out Lynnie’s Personal Progress thread, as she has palindromic RA and it might help to take a look at her abx regimen and how it has evolved over the years. As you’re flaring now, after several years on AP, it might be a good time to go back to the drawing board to reassess your protocol and switch things up a bit.

PS Are you still using co cocodamol regularly? Codeine (and aspirin) used long term are notorious for causing liver issues and this pain killer has been known to cause acute pancreatitis.

Anne-Marie
    Participant

Hi Maz……
    Lovely to hear from you. Fancy remembering the boyfriends from Barlaston 😉 I certainly am taking paracetamol and codeine concoction daily x 4. I found a site last night called gastroenterology for dummies (really???) and it cites mino and paracetamol as potential offenders for dilated duct….. This is a minefield. My rheumy is retiring and I have seen his replacement once and did not feel very drawn to him unfortunately…. I feel you need to feel comfortable with the Dr. that is treating you. I saw them last week and all of my bloodwork is normaI except the anti ccp which is >340 normal range 6.9 and below. I have had a great deal of trouble with my wrist tendons in the last few years. The hospital are wanting to start me on biologic treatments but are unable due to the pancreas. Steroid injection also out because of same thing. I am at my wits end with the pain….. it is in both shoulders.(side, front,back) both acromio clavicular joints and where it joins at the front too…. I am unable to lie down at night with this so consequently extremely tired. I have never been able to travel to surrey to see the AP Dr. but he has very kindly advised over the telephone. I will look into the info you gave me regarding the pancreas. Thankyouuuuuu.
    Much Love…
    Anne-Marie.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Anne-Marie
    I feel for you with those shoulders! They were the absolute worst for me – used to spend all night sitting in a chair (usually crying because soooo tired) because the pain was too intense to lie down. They are not (touch wood) a problem any more and it is only rarely I get the beginning of what feels like it might become a painful frozen shoulder, but it never progresses to that these days and just goes away after a few hours. I notice you are on vibramycin – any reason for that versus mino? My initial best success for 5 years was with mino – after which I switched to a mixed (though still pulsed) regime. Take a look at my testimonial (first 5 years) then Personal progress thread just in case it gives you some ideas. The next stage of healing for me was definitely a huge change in my diet which has now become second nature and I eat very, very cleanly these days (no packaged anything) Probably biggest change I noticed was going gluten free.
    Hope you feel much better soon.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.