Home Forums General Discussion Pain Medication

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Suni-One
    Participant

Hi – I have another question.

I am began taking 100mgs. of minocycline 2 X’s a day in mid-July 2013. I have read it can take a while to work so I am being patient. Before AP I went to see a naturopath and he said I had “leaky gut syndrome” and prescribed a bunch of stuff, which I took but I didn’t notice much difference in my RA pain. I’ve been taking Naproxen 250 mgs. daily for a few years (5 +) – sometimes I can get by with 1 tablet in a 24-hr. period, at other times I get “leak through” pain and have to take a second one within 8 – 10 hrs. I read on a post that Naproxen is one of the pain meds (NSAIDS) that causes leaky gut. So I’ve begun taking a probiotic 2 X’s a day.

Is there something “natural” I can take for pain that won’t cause further leaky gut. I positively cannot go without a pain med. within a 24-hr. period! I’ve heard of willow bark from a health food store. Has anybody tried this? And if they have how does it compare, in conquering pain, compared to a NSAIDS?

I would very much appreciate any input and/or advice anybody has to offer. Thank you.

lemons
    Participant

Apparently extra virgin olive oil contains a compound called oleocanthal that acts in the same way Ibuprofen does to relieve pain.

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@Suni-One wrote:

Hi – I have another question.

I am began taking 100mgs. of minocycline 2 X’s a day in mid-July 2013. I have read it can take a while to work so I am being patient. Before AP I went to see a naturopath and he said I had “leaky gut syndrome” and prescribed a bunch of stuff, which I took but I didn’t notice much difference in my RA pain. I’ve been taking Naproxen 250 mgs. daily for a few years (5 +) – sometimes I can get by with 1 tablet in a 24-hr. period, at other times I get “leak through” pain and have to take a second one within 8 – 10 hrs. I read on a post that Naproxen is one of the pain meds (NSAIDS) that causes leaky gut. So I’ve begun taking a probiotic 2 X’s a day.

Is there something “natural” I can take for pain that won’t cause further leaky gut. I positively cannot go without a pain med. within a 24-hr. period! I’ve heard of willow bark from a health food store. Has anybody tried this? And if they have how does it compare, in conquering pain, compared to a NSAIDS?

I would very much appreciate any input and/or advice anybody has to offer. Thank you.

Yes, you are correct, Naproxen and almost all other NSAIDS can cause intestinal permeability (Leaky Gut).Everyone with an autoimmune disease has Leaky Gut and taking these can hamper your recovery. All natural NSAIDS, ie Tumeric, Ginger, Devil’s Claw can be helpful, but they also increase it, but to a lesser extent. One option is Omega 3 Fish Oils, they do not. Take whatever the directions or your doctor prescribes. iF you are interested in a prescripiton NSAID, consider either Celebrex or Meloxicam, both are predominately Cox-2 inhibitors, with minimal Cox-1effects, which is what dissolves the protective layer of your stomach. These lessens inflammation and in return pain should go down. If it is not enough for you, consider trying adding in tylenol, which has negligible effects on the stomach, or as a prescription Tramadol, which is very effective and also has minimal to no effect on your stomach lining. This has always been my preferred pain med for back issues and should be all you need for most pain of moderate intensity. These are some good options that should help keep you pain free without further damaging the lining of your stomach.
    Also keep taking whatever supplements your doctor has prescribed for the Leaky Gut, it takes time and is really the only true way to end the vicious cycle of antibody production.
    John

Valsmum
    Participant

Hi,
    My friend takes curcumin, (it is turmeric) for her arthritis pain. You can buy it online or at your local health
    food store, she says its like taking an Advil. I found it to be a little hard on my stomach, but it works great for her. This is the link my friend shared with me :

http://turmeric-curcumin.com

Suni-One
    Participant

Meloxicam: I had never heard of it so looked it up on several different sites. I’d like to try it for pain relief to see if it will work for me. Naproxen does but it seems to be detrimental to what I’m trying to achieve by AP.

Does meloxicam need to be prescribed by the doctor? Or can I purchase it over the Internet? I am a Canadian in Tucson for the winter so we don’t have an MD down here and my AP doctor is in Vancouver.

Suggestions?

needhelp
    Participant

I began AP w/minocycline generic 100mg capsules, 2x daily, 7 wks ago. The pain with RA is unbelievable.
    I still do not have a diagnosis; as RF is 2393: al over muscle, bone & joint pain started July after mycoplasma infection in May. RF down 200 pts since starting AP. Taking ibuprofen 350mg, 3x a day. Wish I could find something better. Rheumy is big on prednisone; which I would like to stay away from. Does Vit C 1000mg/day help any? TY.

Suni-One
    Participant

I don’t know if Vitamin C “helps” with RA. I read ?? (on the Internet) that high doses of Vitamin C help kill off virus’s and have even cured people of cancer (Budwig). I take at least 1,000 per day, often times more (because I also have it in crystal form, rather than tablet, and I add it to my (home made) juice and/or smoothies). I just ordered coconut oil capsules. I take krill oil and flax seed oil, use EVOO and coconut oil when I cook but it is supposed to have anti-bacterial properties so I figured it wouldn’t hurt either. I also slather organic coconut oil on my knees and hands before going to bed. Don’t know if this will make a difference or not.

Pain meds: I do not get any pain relief with Tylenol and over-the-counter Advil and/or Aleve used to work not too bad. But as the RA got progressively worse I find only the 250 mg. of Naproxen works to control the pain. I try to take only 1 per day – sometimes, depending on what I’ve eaten or been doing, I need 2. I’ve tried the generic brand sold at Costco. It is 220 mg. – doesn’t seem to work quite as well as the prescription Naproxen. I am going to investigate meloxicam and see if I can find anybody in Tucson to prescribe it for me.

MLTelfer
    Participant

My son did very well on Meloxicam. Through research and advice from a pharmacist friend we went to Celebrex twice a day. The switch was great. The Celebrex eliminated the majority of his stomach issues and has worked well for pain and inflammation. He tried Voltarin, Relafen, and Diclofenac along the way, but Celebrex has been best.

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@needhelp wrote:

I began AP w/minocycline generic 100mg capsules, 2x daily, 7 wks ago. The pain with RA is unbelievable.
    I still do not have a diagnosis; as RF is 2393: al over muscle, bone & joint pain started July after mycoplasma infection in May. RF down 200 pts since starting AP. Taking ibuprofen 350mg, 3x a day. Wish I could find something better. Rheumy is big on prednisone; which I would like to stay away from. Does Vit C 1000mg/day help any? TY.

NO, Vit C will do nothing, perhaps in very high doses used in IV, but not orally. Go with either Meloxicam or Celebrex, best bets and safest.

Monia
    Participant

I’ve been on Celebrex (200-400mg/day) for 10 years now and had no stomach issues at all. It worked really well for me for all those years and in combination with Plaquenil eliminated most of the inflammation and the pain.

I also tried the following natural remedies and achieved good results with some of them:

-icing the affected joints (I use a bag of frozen peas) for 10 min 2-3 times a day – this really helps with the pain and inflammation
    -fresh pineapple (not too much if you have a sensitive stomach) – it contains bromelain which helps with inflammation (the bromelain supplement did nothing for me)
    – avoiding very warm baths
    – curcumin (turmeric) supplement or just mixing 1/2 tsp. of turmeric with 1/2 cup water (can be hard on the stomach though)
    – I avoid vit.D supplements as they make the pain a lot worse

Krys
    Participant

Hi Suni-One,
    The level of inflammation, pain tolerance and the inflammatory cytokines most prevalent can all differ in individual people, as can individual response to various meds, herbs, supps.
    For me the biggest help is anti-inflammatory diet (no gluten, no dairy, no corn, no bananas and at times, when inflammation is highest, also no grains whatseover, lots of freshly made vegetable juices) + all kinds of combined detoxification methods and some anti-inflammatory herbs.
    Systemic enzymes or Quercetin + Curcumin + Bromelain (Bromelain helps make Curcumin more bioavailable) taken in high doses 3 x daily until inflammation subsides. Cytokine cascade blockers have helped a lot, too.
    For the strongest pain, I additionally used biggish amounts of NSAIDs or additional Cayenne pepper, ginger, whatever my panicky state and research pointed me to add. It worked!

Diet is #1 for me. Without it, nothing works well.

How to make turmeric work better: http://naturalsociety.com/turmeric-absorption-super-benefits-black-pepper/
    Nice list: http://anniesremedy.com/chart_remedy_pain.php

I hope you’ll find something that will help you with pain and that soon you will not need any pain medication whatsoever.
    Warm wishes,
    Krys

Anonymous
    Participant

For a more natural method of imflammation management I highly recommend theraputic grade essential oils. I suffer from an occasional attack of gout every now and then along with my RA pain and find that EO’s applied topically directly where the pain resides can help. I recommend lemon, geranium and frankincense oils as the ones that will work the best. I use DoTerra brand, but you can use any brand as long as its theraputic grade.

I hope maybe this helps you or someone else with their pain.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

In physical therapy I was advised to use ice for pain relief and it is helpful with muscle pain. A doctor said she thinks it is not good for the RA but it works for me. Some alternate ice and heat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.