Home Forums General Discussion On minocycline for 3 wks,developed gray-bluish discoloration on forehead

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sarah-lawrence
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I was newly dignified with difused scleroderma, it began with swollen and reddened fingers then caught my attention with raynaud’s.I asked my primary doctor put me on minocycline 100mg 2 times a day.
    I developed discoloration of my forehead after on it for 3 wks. My pmd don’t what to do and asked me to stoppedit for now. I have been off it almost a month now.meanwhile my lab came back mycoplasma IgG very high which indicated past or remote infection. My right shoulder pain getting worse, just received cortisone shot and doing physical therapy. I want to go back to Ap
    Anyone has any suggestions for the discoloration? I am thinking to ask my Pmd to give me intramuscular injections of clindamycin in his office as a loading dose?Because it is easier access then iv.

Thanks for your advices and suggestions

MLTelfer
    Participant

Yes, my son had spots on his legs. This is hyperpigmentation and may be a side effect to minocycline. An alternative could be doxycycline. Having this side effect so quickly needs to be addressed in my opinion. You could consult a pharmacist, a dermatologist, and your doctor if you are going to continue with this treatment. I would be careful since it is happening in such a visible location. Best of luck and I do believe you have options to pursue.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Sarah
    If you use the search function at top right and use search terms such as ‘blue spots’ and/or ‘hyperpigmentation’ the system will generate all previous posts which discuss this. You can take a look through them and see what others have found helpful.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

Lynne G. mentioned two remedies that has helped her.

https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/hey-maz-blue-spots/

The dark blue/gray patches are due to the chelative effects of minocycline, binding to iron in the body. For this reason, people take buffered Vitamin C to help prevent the hyperpigmentation and to better metabolize iron in the body. Thing is, Vitamin C promotes collagen and, although there is controversy on it use for SD, some docs still suggest it for this subset of rheumatic patients. As Lynne describes in the link above, topical Vitamin C in a glycerine base can be used as a topical preparation. Vit C is unstable, so needs to be mixed fresh. The other remedy she mentioned is Kojic acid, a type of chelative agent made in Japan during the fermentation process of malting rice. Perhaps Lynne G. Will see your post and can post more on this for you or you could try sending her a private message? Cold laser treatments, offered by some dermatologists, also can help with hyperpigmentation.

Thing is, many SD patients consider hyperpigmentation pretty benign when dealing with SD, by comparison, so will put up with the spots until it’s well controlled and then might switch to doxy later, which is effective, but slower to take effect as it doesn’t quite have the same degree of tissue penetration as minocycline.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.