Home Forums General Discussion Off topic – HRT question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe M
    Participant

hello everyone,

As you know my wife is not a reader and I am now taking on the role of researching HRT as she is in the middle of the life change many here have probably experienced. The flashes have become almost unbearable so she is thinking of reaching out to a doctor for HRT.

I can find standard info on all of it but what I am interested in is any personal experiences any of you with RA have had with HRT. Does RA affect HRT or vice versa? Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks
    Joe

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Joe–

When I started supplementing with boron (by way of borax water) for my RA, a “good” side effect was the elimination of my hot flashes.

Estrogen Production: Boron can improve the production of estrogen in menopausal women, and can bring back their sex drive within a few days of treatment. Boron increases the level of natural sex hormones in the body, thereby reducing the need for hormone replacement therapy or other pharmaceutical solutions.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/minerals/boron.html

Lots of information on the Internet.

Good luck to your wife.

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Joe

I have been on bio-identical progesterone for about 15 years now. Would suggest that you research the bio-identical route….for me it’s a no-brainer, but decisions are personal on this.

I am about to have a full DHEA panel run as I just have a ‘gut feel” that my oestrogen levels are now too low and have been getting some RA symptoms creep in. It would probably be a good idea for your wife to have a full DHEA panel run and then a regime can be tailored for your wife’s situation.

There has been much discussion and writing over the years about hormones having an effect on RA. Many women’s RA is triggered at times of great hormonal changes (child birth, menopause etc) and many AP Doctors routinely prescribe hormones (and most choose bio-identical) as part of the therapy.

Hope she finds some relief soon.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Calida
    Participant

Joe, here is a follow-up to Lynnie’s reply. It’s a link to the results of one of the largest studies on the effects of bioidentical hormones:

http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/bioidenticalbreastcancer.html

Large French Studies Show No Increased Risk of Breast Cancer for Users of Bioidentical Hormones

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Lizz
    Participant

Joe, one of the first things my ND did was put me on bio-identical estradiol and progesterone. It has been 5 years and I think it helps modulate my immune system. I was already post-menopausal, but went into menopause early at 45′ so obviously my levels were low. Your wife should not suffer, hope she sees a good DO or naturopathic dr who will proscribe bio -identical s and monitor her, adjusting levels as needed. Everybody’s road to health is different; however, the bio-identical hormones made a big difference for me. I will stay on them forever. Best wishes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.