Home Forums General Discussion Nucleolar pattern

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SS
    Participant

Hi everybody:

I have been on Minocin for the last 15 years and doing good.
    I go for regular blood check up and get my ANA & dDNA checked.
    As I am in remission the dDna is negative but ANA is always 160 and homogenous
    but the present lab result came out nucleolar pattern.
    Any one with lupus has nucleolar pattern ?
    Couple of years back I did have nucleolar pattern but later
    it changed to speckled and then homogenous.
    Can lupus patients get all the 3 patterns ?
    Thanks
    Regards
    SS

richie
    Participant

Hi SS -Hope you are feeling good —I have not had any test like you take for 15 years —Dr T years ago told me the name of the game is how you are feeling —no aches no pains –no lung problems or kidney problems no symptoms –then dont worry –Since I still take the antibiotic the only tests I take are for kidneys and liver –no rheumatic tests at all –In my opinion not needed –
    Be well —
    Richie

SS
    Participant

Hi Richie nice to hear from and thank you for the information.
    Yes I am doing well just concerned about the ANA pattern that is all.
    Thanks
    Regards
    SS

greypilgrim256
    Participant

It is probably a lab error. Nucleolar pattern is most closely associated with scleroderma (systemic sclerosis), but if you’ve had Lupus for 15 years, then it is unlikely you have SSC. Have you been tested for scleroderma antibodies? (SCL-70, U3RNP, RNA Pol3, U1RNP, ACA)

Maz
    Keymaster

@SS wrote:

Hi Richie nice to hear from and thank you for the information.
    Yes I am doing well just concerned about the ANA pattern that is all.
    Thanks
    Regards
    SS

SS. great to hear you’re holding on and still doing well! 🙂

The following link is a very interesting read, as it relates to ANA in terms of the potentials for positive results in other situations. As the article states, ANA can also be positive in perfectly healthy people or even if people who have a relative with an autoimmune disease, in which cases it is regarded as incidental and of no import:

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/antinuclear-antibodies-ana-beyond-the-basics?source=outline_link&view=text&anchor=H1#H1

Patients with organ-specific autoimmune diseases may also have a positive test for ANA. These diseases include:

?Thyroid diseases (Hashimoto

SS
    Participant

Hi Greypilgrim :

Yes 10 years back the doctors checked couple of time for anti RNP and it came negative.
    But once or twice I did have nucleolar pattern.
    Thank you
    Regards
    SS

SS
    Participant

Hi Maz :

Thank you for all the information you sent.
    As you suggested I think must go for the standard dosage instead of the maintenance dose.
    I did talk to my doctor he is not concerned as I do not have any symptoms but did say he will repeat
    the labs after 3 months.
    Once again thank you
    Regards
    SS

Maz
    Keymaster

If you do go higher on dose, SS, you’ll likely need to go slow, but you probably know yourself better than anyone. Lupies tend to be a bit more sensitive to dose increases than others, as a general rule. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.