Home Forums General Discussion newby needing advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    toml
    Participant

I am 64yrs young male had one episode of reactive a about 10 years ago that was treated with the NSAIDS and with a lot of my pleading antibiotics. Complete remission until June when I had a return of pain in right foot, elbow and neck. This current flare followed a mild bout of shellfish poisoning and a sinus infection.

Current docs are big on prednisone, sulfasalazine etc all of which had no lasting effect. I successfully argued for antibiotic, was given minocycline 100 twice day which took out most pain but could not tolerate it after 10day. Thought I had stomach flu so stopped. Started back up recently and all pain in original areas gone but shoulders and groin had major flare while on mino. Stopped mino and saw docs who now diagnose polymyalgia and are pushing prednisone.

I am avidly reading this site, will read the books and seek out a AP but would be grateful for any suggestions/advice.

Blessings

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi & welcome to the RB,

The site has been down in your neck of the woods & only came online 2 days ago so I am presuming we are still having teething problems ,,, however, Lynnie_Sydney is one of the great volunteers here & I am sure will jump in here & give you some answers/help.

As for the pred .. I had never needed pred before, but suddenly got a severe allergic reaction & the Dr prescribed pred. I needed to take it for 3 days & within 16 hrs got every side effect known to mankind; clearly I can’t take it. There are some who do take pred in what I believe is small doses but it is not a medication to be messed with & the majority of APers seem to want to get rid of it as quickly as they can.

At 100mg daily are you sure it isn’t die-off ?? sounds to me like you may be herxing.

Cheers,
    Maz – Australia

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Maz
    Keymaster

@toml wrote:

I am avidly reading this site, will read the books and seek out a AP but would be grateful for any suggestions/advice.

Hi Tom,

Saw your AP doc request come in on the apdoctors@roadback.org account and Diana, RBF’s AP doc responder, will get back to you shortly with a list. Welcome to the RBF forum and nice to meet you…though very sorry you had to seek us out.

We have quite a few past discussion threads on ReA that you could wade through, but the search engine embedded in this new forum isn’t up and running just yet. When it is, you’ll find a plethora of good info to check out and experiences of other ReAers to read.

There is fairly recent research out there that was reported in the last edition of the RBF news eBulletin about the effectiveness of various antibiotics for reactive arthritis that you may like to read. Just go to the follow link and click on the title, “New Study Asserts the Effectiveness of Combination Antibiotics For Reactive Arthritis,” in the clickable Table of Contents.

https://www.roadback.org/EmailBlasts/ebulletin_summer10.html#New Study

You might also like to review the protocols offered on the following site:

http://cpnhelp.org/treatment_protocols

You could very well be right about the shellfish poisoning re-initiating a relapse in symptoms. When you read the article above, there are infections typically associated with food poisoning that are mentioned.

Welcome! 🙂

Prior to seeing an AP doc to help you get going on antibiotics, you might want to research probiotics to help protect your gut while on the protocols, if you don’t take them already. Candida overgrowth in the gut can produce its own array of symptoms and probiotics can help to maintain the healthy fauna in the gut while keeping the bad fauna and flora at bay. When taking probiotics, they are usually kept well away from the antibiotic doses by at least a two hour window to ensure the antibiotics don’t wipe out the good bacteria in these supps.

toml
    Participant

You mentioned probiotics. Are there any you would recommend?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant
    Maz wrote:
    We have quite a few past discussion threads on ReA that you could wade through, but the search engine embedded in this new forum isn’t up and running just yet.

Happy to say that the search engine IS up and running now. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.