Home Forums General Discussion New to the Message Boards!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TashaBear
    Participant

Hello, I’m new to the message boards, but I’m looking for a little advice or maybe some reassurance? I’m not quite sure, anyways, My name is Tasha and I’m 22 years old.

I started to have symptoms of stiffness and just feeling achy back in September 2011. I went to my regular doctor, they did blood work which showed my SED rate was high. Because of the high SED rate I went to see the Rheumatologist right away. While there I had tons of blood work done, as well as x-rays. After all the tests I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was put on plaquenil, 200mg twice daily. The plaquenil did not help and my SED rate continued to increase. In March 2012 it was 45, May 2012 it was 47, and June 2012 it was 49. My rheumatologist at the time wanted to put me in a study, and my mom wasn’t going to have any of that. So she started to do some research of her own.

I started my antibiotic treatments in July 2012, receiving my five day IVs. After the IV’s I started taking minocycline 100mg Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I was hospitalized in September 2012. I guess it was a really bad flare up, I couldn’t really move or do anything. While at the hospital my SED rate was 47. I received my second round of IV treatment in December 2012, and I’m still talking the minocycline the three days a week. I also take Celebrex 200mg daily.

I had an appointment at my Rheumatologists last week, and he wasn’t really happy with my decision to do the Antibiotic treatments, and he said it was not working for me. After the blood work that day, my SED rate was 57.

So basically, what I’m getting at is, is it normal for the antibiotic treatments to take so long to start working? I’m starting to get discouraged. I personally only know a little bit about the antibiotic treatments, my mom did all the research and she a firm believer that it’s going to work, but at this point I’m just not sure. If you have any advice or personal insight to give please do, anything to keep me from getting discouraged will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
    Tasha

Mazensmummy
    Participant

Hi,

I am really no expert at all, but maybe you could find an AP doctor in your area and they could do some testing to see if you need a more tailored antibiotic treatment, I have noticed that a lot of RA patients take different combinations of antibiotics to treat different infections. I think there is also a lyme igenix test? Hope you find something that works soon.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Tasha,

Have you changed your diet? Are you taking any vitamins or other dietary supplements?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hello, Tasha:

For Your age and progression/ESR activities, actual RA would be surprising; I would suggest having a QUALITY HLA B27 test performed (NOT ‘serological,’ but either ELISA or Fc).

Eliminate starches from Your diet. This, in addition to the correct antibiotics will probably get You back to normal. Best guideline for AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis) diet is Carol Sinclair’s “The New IBS Low-Starch Diet,” with foreword by Professor Ebringer.

HEALTH,
    John

john mcf
    Participant

hey Tasha I am also new to the message board, but forgive me if I am not very direct. I just would like to say I have been on minocycline 100 mg MWF for 15 months and I only just recently sopped taking prednisone (6weeks ago) and I had two rheumatologists tell me to go on methotrexate and remicade, I told one I was still trying natural healing that was more than 2 years ago this other one 15 months ago I said I was trying AP first, and I think it was one of the best decisions of my life in treatment for RA. My Dr. also has me do 5 days (clietin?) I don’t really remember the name of the IV anti-biotic we do every 6 months. Well any way don’t give up hope because it took me a long time and many herxheimer effects. My last serious flare was when I took Amoxycilln 500 twice a day for tooth problem, that was about 6 months ago and I was off prednisone for about 10 days at the time. So there may be many ups and downs for you. Just thought I would share what happened to me because for me mxt and remicade are a last resort. PS I still take motrin three times a day but I have even cut down from 800 mg to about 500mg. I also recently took care of some candida overgrowth issues lately by cutting out (sugar dairy and wheat) I have started eating wheat and cheese again in moderation, I know I know I am rambling. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.