Home Forums General Discussion New Ruling on Patient Access to Lab Results

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

New rule allows patients to get test results directly from labs, without doctors

Anonymous
    Participant

Yay!!! I just had a bad lab experience. I had an order from my rheumy and one from my GP for different items. I asked that the rheumy’s results also be sent to my GP and she said NO, she legally could not do that! Really??? It’s MY BLOOD, MY RESULTS and I wanted both to have the same info. So frustrating.

Suzy
    Participant

Does this have any affect on receiving Lyme test results from IgeneX ? or is that a requirement specific to them?

Just thinking out loud!……Suzy

richie
    Participant

Hi I guess its a good thing but personally I like them being sent to my doctor direct –I then call the nurse first to make sure its ok then I speak to the doctor –I think its less stress this way —-I think its less stress I dont want to receive a lab report that has all kinds of warnings highlights etc –it would stress me out !!!
    Richie

Anonymous
    Participant

That makes sense Richie. I just like that we have the option :).

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

For Australian patients

You can ask for copies of the lab reports to be sent to you when your doc is writing out the blood draw request form (there is a box labelled ‘copy to’ on the form). I was advised to ask for this to be done some years ago by a doc so that I compiled a history file. I now have 10 years worth of lab results on file which is very useful in terms of looking at patterns over the years and keeps me on the front foot in terms of managing my wellbeing. They are also very useful if ever changing doctors. However, they are not so useful if you don’t familiarise yourself with what results are or indicate and, as Richie stated, in this case it can be better to wait until you see the doctor. Some asterisked results (meaning out of normal range) are nothing to worry about, some are indicative of whatever disease you are dealing with, others can be indicative of something that needs quick attention.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

Where I live in CT, it’s taken time for Quest labs to get their system up and running for patient electronic access to blood test results, but it’s now available, so worth checking with the lab your doctor uses if you prefer to receive your results immediately rather than waiting until your next doc appt.

This service is available on smart phones through a phone app or on the lab website by setting up an account with the lab. Quest was using the Gazelle phone app, but it is now called, “MyQuest.”

Of course, some patients may prefer not to see their results until their doc reviews and explains them, too. Either way, it is now a patient’s right to obtain lab results without a doctor seeing them first.

MLTelfer
    Participant

I have all my son’s results. We have a notarized release from him I take everywhere he has bloodwork/imaging done etc. Having results isnt optional to me. I even put them onto an excel spreadsheet so I can easily track his disease “at a glance”. My opinion is that the doctors might get 90 percent of where you are trying to get, but unless you dig into what’s going on, the doctors can miss things. So far his doctors have tolerated me.

Anonymous
    Participant

I think it is a great idea. Some years ago the results of my blood test were sent to my rheumy and GP. Both doctors didn’t look at them waiting for me to come for a visit. My iron was 2 only /norm 7-27/ I felt so tired and bad and still everyday I was swallowing some pills in the morning, had a strong coffee and was going to work. A week after that test I fainted at work, was taken to the hospital and had an iron transfusion immediately. Since that time I always ask for the results to be sent to me. It is not easy and every time I have to fill out a form. If I forget to do it they won’t send it to me. Another lab doesn’t send any results to the patients at all. “It is their policy”. So bravo America. I hope it will come here too.
    Linda L.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.