Home Forums General Discussion New Research: Gut Bacteria May Cause Rheumatoid Arthritis

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Published yesterday, November 4th, in the journal, Science. An article describing ground-breaking research by New York University scientists, the findings of which are supported by Harvard researchers, who have tied rheumatoid arthritis with an overgrowth of gut bacteria, Prevotella Copri, that stimulate Th17 cells to create inflammation in the body.

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2013/11/gut-bacteria-may-cause-rheumatoid-arthritis

“It’s been suspected for years and years, both in humans and in the animal model, that the development of autoimmune diseases like arthritis is dependent on the gut microbiota,” says immunologist Diane Mathis of Harvard Medical School in Boston. Now, she says, those suspicions are beginning to be confirmed in humans. “It’s a very striking finding.

mary77
    Participant

maz,
    Great article! Guess I will load up on my probiotics!! I like the idea of “crowding out” the bad guys…

Mary

Maz
    Keymaster

And the full, newly published study findings, here. This is the same gang at Langone, at NYU, that have been running studies on abx and RA.

http://elife.elifesciences.org/content/2/e01202

Suzy
    Participant

As usual Maz, great article. I see that Dr. Littman was a part of this collaboration as well. I think he is also a part of the Clinical trials at NYU for testing different Abx on Ra. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01198509?term=NCT01198509&rank=1
    This is all getting very interesting. I wonder if they ………………………….Lots of questions !

Suzy …..

Valsmum
    Participant

Maz,
    Part of your post mentioned Remicade causing scary side effects. It made my pulse triple during and infusion and my chest started to get really tight :(. The nurses turned off the IV and rushed me to the ER in a wheelchair, not a pleasant experience.

Interesting article.
    Take care!!

Lizz
    Participant

Maz, thanks so much for posting this. In 2005, before my symptoms started, I had a nasal lavage done to unblock a sinus passage. The doctor was alarmed when they found gut fungus/bacteria in my sinus fluid. He had never seen anything like this and sent me to an infectious disease doctor who dismissed it. This article makes me think about how things may have started for me. Another piece of the puzzle.

Suzanne
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, Maz!

About Prevotella –
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevotella
    Studies also indicate that long-term diet is strongly associated with the gut microbiome composition

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

m.
    Participant

Funny, today I just read an article on the NPR app which mentions an association between high levels of Prevotella & whole grains.

Suzanne
    Participant

m., thanks for the head’s up! Here is the article:

http://m.npr.org/news/front/1024?textSize=small

“Whole grains are another good source of fiber

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Suzanne
    Participant

Sit down…this is on Medpage Today:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Rheumatology/Arthritis/42799

“”The clinical implication of this is that if we can find ways to manipulate the intestinal microbiome, we may be able to have an impact on a number of diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis,” said Gail Hecht, MD, the chief of gastroenterology at Loyola University in Chicago, who wasn’t involved in the study.

That could be through diet, targeted antibiotic therapy, or by the provision of ‘good’ bacteria that might displace the Prevotella, which appears to be associated with the development of rheumatoid arthritis,” she told MedPage Today.”

Of course this coming from a gastro and not a rheum :).

The article also mentions CRP:
    “A Role for CRP?

They also noted that they initially found it surprising that the prevalence of P. copri in patients with established RA was similar to that in healthy controls.

Possible explanations for this, they suggested, was that the Prevotella-predominant microbiome needs an inflammatory environment to thrive, and with treatment for chronic disease the inflammation has been diminished.

Another possibility is that the change in the gut colonization is a result of an inflammatory factor or process specific to new-onset disease, such as C-reactive Protein (CRP), which binds to bacterial cell walls and upregulates the complement system and macrophage activity.

CRP typically is high in early-phase RA and diminishes with treatment, and also is less characteristic in other autoimmune diseases.

A striking difference was seen in CRP levels in participants in this study, with mean levels of 20.6 mg/L in the new-onset RA group compared with 8.2 mg/L in the established RA patients, 7.6 mg/L in the psoriatic arthritis group, and 1.1 mg/L in healthy controls.

“Whether or not CRP itself represents a specific response to the presence of P. copri in new onset RA is an area of future investigation,” Littman and colleagues wrote.”

Valsmum
    Participant

Suzanne,
    I read the article from your link. The doctor mentions that diet affects the gut…and early RA. I think this is why I have done so well in the past 6 months eating mostly fruits and veggies (especially juicing them). My aim is to stay away from anything that will harm my body/gut.
    Thanks for the article, I might show my doctor.

Take care!
    Hope you and your daughter are doing well.

Valsmum
    Participant

Suzanne,
    I read the article from your link. The doctor mentions that diet affects the gut…and early RA. I think this is why I have done so well in the past 6 months eating mostly fruits and veggies (especially juicing them). My aim is to stay away from anything that will harm my body/gut.
    Thanks for the article, I might show my doctor.

Take care!
    Hope you and your daughter are doing well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.