Home Forums General Discussion Need help- ? for those who get IVs at home

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kwlile
    Participant

For those of you who regularly give yourself IVs at home, would you mind sharing where you acquire your clindamycin? Maz told me about Infuserve America, but I have not tested positive for lyme thus far.

Thanks–

Randy
    Participant

For the last year I have been using Coram. Currently I get the IV put in at a local Coram infussion facility and I self-administer the Clindy at home for my next 4 IV’s. I yank it out after the last IV.

After 285 IV’s, I can confidently state that the younger-eye’d nurses’ hitting percentage is much higher. The older nurses can’t see, don’t have patience, and rely on “hunting and pecking”. 😯 Nurses who miss the first time and then ask you “if you have had plenty of fluids?”…are just bad at IV’s. If they blow your vein or infiltrate, they are really bad and they should be punished somehow. 😡 A good nurse with good eyes can hit your veins. If they are missing, it is not your fault – it’s them! 👿

By the way, they all charge WAY more than they should, and they get away with it. 😈

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

wib411
    Participant

Your doctor can prescribe the appropriate IV set up. Her/his office can put in an IV stent that you use at home for a week or so. An alternative: Do at home shots…300mg of Cleocin (injectable 300 mg Clyndamycin)…IM, instead of IV. Ask your doc about doing that .
    Then you do not get hit with an office visit or Home Health charge. The vials are not costly(relatively speaking); about $2.00 from a pharmacy.

kwlile
    Participant

Thanks wib411 – I’ve never heard of the do at home shots. Is it possible to get a higher dosage in a shot, or would I have to get 3 shots a day to get the 900 mg. prescribed for me?

wib411
    Participant

I do not know vial sizes, and you can load as many CCs as you need, depending on the syringe.
    Or, give yourself 3 shots of 300mg each, but that is a lot of sticking….OK if you can do it.
    Your doc or his nurse need to go over self administered shots. Don’t do until you get professional instruction.

kwlile
    Participant

Thanks for the info – but if that works as well as the IVs, why don’t more people use the shots? Any ideas?

wib411
    Participant

To kwlile: I have no idea why there is not (in these posts) mention of self admin shots of Clindamycin. My current doc who prescribed it said no difference…..however he is not a dyedinwool AP Doc, and did not consult with Dr S. in Iowa as I requested. So, open question. Perhaps the IV has some advantage. I will continue to ask…whoever. Anyone else know the answer to this one? IV vs IM ON THE HEAVY DUTY ANTIBIOTIC INITIATION?
    Wib411

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.