Home Forums General Discussion Need advice on my regime

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    246bride
    Participant

Hi All,

I am a mother of 3 kids – 4yrs, 2yrs and 9 months (special needs). And I am on the verge of giving in and going on the rheumy drugs to find relief. I have been on Minocin since March. I started and 50 mgs every day – 7 days a week. About a month ago I added a morning dose in addition to my evening dose on Fridays (100mg total for the day)and I have continued the daily 50 mgs otherwise. Last week I added a am dose to Mondays. So currently I take 50 mgs every day except for Friday and Mondays I take 100mgs. My question is, where do I go from here. Am I doing this right? I have a PCP that in on board to prescribe Minocin, but he is not an AP dr. I had an appointment with my Rheumy today who I hadn’t seen in over 1.5years. I left feeling very defeated and depressed about the future. I can say, that I do feel better at this point post partum than I did with my first 2 kids at which time I was not doing AP, BUT, I need more relief with the physical demands that come along with lifting and caring for young children. I guess I did give AP a 3 month try right before I got pregnant with baby #3…but I struggled with yeast infections every month. I think the coconut oil is helping with that this time. HOwever, this makes me very gun shy to increase my minocin dose.

Any suggestions? I am also taking Plaquenil, some nsaids….an occasion 2.5mg of prednisone when absolutely necessary. I am on vitamins, I eat a lot of coconut oil…I would like to get on a special diet (don’t need to lose weight at all, but for inflammation), but am finding it very difficult to dedicate time to that.

Sorry for the dump, but I would love your suggestions. This board is so great! I hope you all are well.

246bride
    Participant

anybody?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Bride;
    It would help if you told us what you have.AP for SD is very different than for RA.There is no problem using low dose prednisone for a few months until AP starts to kick in.High doses can make you very ill and in the case of SD can bring on kidney failure.
    Lynne

246bride
    Participant

Ah, didn’t realize I never said what I had. Sero negative RA is what they say!

Trudi
    Participant

@246bride wrote:

I eat a lot of coconut oil…I would love your suggestions.

Your use of coconut oil caught my eye, since for some reason, coconut oil added to my inflammation. Adding foods high in boron, which is anti-fungal, might help with the yeast. I feel for you having RA and taking care of 3 young children–wish you all the best!!
    Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

JohnnyMax
    Participant

@246bride wrote:

I am on vitamins, I eat a lot of coconut oil…I would like to get on a special diet (don’t need to lose weight at all, but for inflammation), but am finding it very difficult to dedicate time to that.

Sorry for the dump, but I would love your suggestions. This board is so great! I hope you all are well.

On caution here, besides the coconut oil, if you are taking vitamin D3 that may cause a problem also. There was a thread here a few days ago which pointed out a number of members are having extra inflammation when they take it, once being myself. You may want to drop it for a while if you are taking any and see if there is a difference. I will try to make some additional recommendation later today, but just heading out the door.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9466

John

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Carey,
    @246bride wrote:

I would like to get on a special diet (don’t need to lose weight at all, but for inflammation), but am finding it very difficult to dedicate time to that.

I highly recommend that you consider doing as I did and eliminate all dairy products and nightshade vegetables from your diet. Eliminating gluten from your diet may also help. For more information, read this message that I posted back in December of 2011: https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58076#p58076

As for the time required, it really shouldn’t take much extra time to make the above changes. If you can eat a large salad at least three times a week, that should also be helpful, and shouldn’t take much extra time. Just make sure that your salad does not include tomatoes, peppers, or cheese. And avoid store-bought salad dressing — I recommend making a vinegar and oil dressing using red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Trudi
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

I recommend making a vinegar and oil dressing using red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil.

FYI–At the moment, I cannot tolerate anything with vinegar in it–it is sure to give me body-wide pain. On my salads I have been using extra-virgin olive oil infused with garlic or basil. Very tasty! Let your instincts guide you as to what food restrictions work best for you.

Regarding the Vitamin D. I had been making a daily smoothie for months with Kefir and with no problems. Then my husband bought some “lite” Kefir and I became quite achey. I found out that because it was “lite” the natural Vitamin D was removed (it is found in the fat) and they had to fortify it. I knew I did not deal well with Vitamin D supplements, but I never connected the dots that fortified Vitamin D products could also cause me grief. It is impossible to get store-bought milk that isn’t fortified 👿 !! Just a heads up; I’m beginning to wonder how much of the fortification found in products may actually be causing intolerance.

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.