Home Forums General Discussion Nasal spray – exciting!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hbell
    Participant

On the news last night they are trialling a nasal spray that prevents Diabetes I. It is being trialled by a high risk 15 year girl and so far so good. there is talk that this may be applied for RA and other AI diseases.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2011/s3242706.htm

that sounds interesting hbell, be great if it works 🙂 good for all of us..kind regards ..di.

hbell
    Participant

It would be unbelievable if they can come up with a vaccine to prevent anyone getting these terrible illnesses. I often think of my beautiful 18 year old daughter, who is behind the 8 ball with both her auntie and her mum having RA. This saddens me immensely. So I am excited about this and just hope it eventuates.

Pauyen
    Participant

The thing I couldnt understand when I heard this news story… was, how do they make a vaccine to something they dont know the cause of? …Like RA.

Maz
    Keymaster

@Pauyen wrote:

The thing I couldnt understand when I heard this news story… was, how do they make a vaccine to something they dont know the cause of? …Like RA.

Great question, Paul!

From the article:

“The cause of the disease is uncertain but it’s believed the body’s immune system attacks and kills the insulin producing cells.

Professor Harrison says the vaccine works to switch off the body’s immune response.”

So, essentially, what they’re saying is that they’ve developed a new immune-suppressant drug to block the body attacking insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Question is, what is causing this attack in the first place? Could there be intracellular infections hiding out in these cells? If so, is such an immune-suppressive drug simply masking what is going on? What longterm effects on the body (of a child no less) could there be from shutting down the immune attack? Will other collateral parts of immune function also be shut down in the process? When vaccines are created, they need to know the offending organism…are they implying there is an offending organism here? Viral? Bacterial?

Interestingly, Canadian researchers were able to halt Type 1 diabetes by injecting capsaicin directly into the pancreases of mice…and literally, overnight, pancreatic function was restored. Somehow, this research sounds a little more promising in terms of a permanent result? The interesting thing about capsaicin, the substance in chili peppers that makes them hot, is that it also has some pretty good anti-microbial properties:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf

HBell, thanks for posting…if you hear any updates, can you post them here? Would be kind of interesting to follow this. Nothing that I know of has come of the Canadian study and it may well be because there is no pharma interest in such a discovery as one can’t patent or make significant profit from something already found in nature. 🙄

hbell
    Participant

That is interesting Maz. I always wonder what happens to a lot of these studies that may look promising and what power these pharms companies really have 🙁

Pauyen
    Participant

Thanks Maz

Admit I only caught the short TV news story and didnt read the article.

Switching off the bodies immune response sounds terribly stupid to me, but as you say, hopefully something good could come of it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.