Home Forums General Discussion Mycoplasma

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    penn1023
    Participant

If someone tests negative for mycoplasma, will most docs still treat? Would this mean that it’s not a bacterial infection? ANA, RF RA and others are all positive.

Maz
    Keymaster

@penn1023 wrote:

If someone tests negative for mycoplasma, will most docs still treat? Would this mean that it’s not a bacterial infection? ANA, RF RA and others are all positive.

Hi Penn,

Yes, experienced AP Physicians will still treat with abx therapy even if myco-negative. Not sure what strains you tested for, but there are many different strains and the truth is that most people in the world will have some strain or other as these organisms are universally found in nature…contaminating the air, soil, food, etc. It’s just that rheumatics react differently to them – Brown called it, “bacterial allergy,” or “bacterial hypersensitivity.”

There are also a number of other infections known to cause RA, including oral pathogens, proteus mirabilis, chlamydia pneumoniae/trachomatis, h. pylori, Lyme disease and coinfections, etc. So, not testing positive for just mycoplasma doesn’t exclude anyone from trying AP. Minocycline is also an approved American College of Rheumatology DMARD, so any rheumy should be able to rx it to someone with RA (though they may be resistant, feeling it’s just a weak DMARD and not understanding Brown’s infectious theory). However, it’s just easier to see an experienced AP physician who does believe in infectious causes, as then you don’t have to “fight the system,” so to speak.

Today, testing for mycoplasma and testing positive can help to support insurance claims to get IV clindamycin, but even then the more experience AP docs will use IV clindamycin along with oral abx, knowing that a neg myco test does not exclude infection and really only is a nice confirmation on paper. Brown used to test regularly for mycoplasma to watch the titers coming down over time, which provided evidence that the therapy was working. However, this testing is pretty expensive and not really necessary, anyway, as AP works whether a person tests positive for myco or not. 🙂 It’s just important to have some understanding of the therapy – that it is a “slow” therapy and there are no overnight sensations. Brown often said it could take 3 to 5 years for a person to reach remission, largely dependent upon variables such as age, disease duration and severity, state of immune function, etc. Some patients are also dealing with multiple infections, so combination abx therapy is sometimes needed…so this is another reason why working with an experienced physician can help to support the therapy greatly.

If you need a list of AP providers and can travel to an experienced AP doc, if necessary, just let us know and we can send you a list.

Nice to meet you Penn, and welcome!

penn1023
    Participant

Thanks so much. I was worried that Dr F wouldn’t treat me if I tested negative when I go see him .

RBFV edit to remove AP Physician’s full name as per forum guidelines. Thank you for your understanding. 🙂

Maz
    Keymaster

@penn1023 wrote:

Thanks so much. I was worried that Dr F wouldn’t treat me if I tested negative when I go see him .

Hi Penn,

No worries…you might like to watch this video of Dr. F. discussing how he tests and treats for rheumatic diseases. There are a number of other videos he’s produced in the right hand side-bar you can also click on to watch. Let us know how your appt goes! There are many Dr. F patients here who I am sure would share their experiences of their first visit to his Riverside clinic. 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI3La0F5wKY&feature=related

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.