Home Forums General Discussion My experience with ginger

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

I noticed that some people on here are taking ginger. Years ago I heard that ginger is helpful for arthritis, so I bought some and gave it a try it. I took it a couple of times and then stopped because taking it resulted in an increase in pain. If you’re taking ginger and not 100% certain that it is helping you, you might want to lay off of it for awhile and see if you notice any difference.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Trudi
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

taking it resulted in an increase in pain.

Hi Phil–
    Interesting! I’ve had the same experience. I attributed it to my immune system working better and ginger creating a herx. I’ve just started juicing (love it!) and use fresh ginger in my juice. My chiropractor also just started me on Whey Protein. I either feel very, very good, or very, very bad. As usual, a new treatment starts things moving 🙄 !!

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

vera
    Participant

I tested my organic ginger from the local co-op for starch, and it turned black! Meaning it’s loaded with starch – which can be a problem for those of us sensitive to starchy food. To test (per John Dragon Slayer) take ordinary iodine and put a couple drops on the item in question. If it turns dark brown or black it has starch (BTW don’t eat it with the iodine).

The ginger also kills my bladder (interstitial cystitis) – so I agree, ginger CAN be a problem for some.

Lori

Joe RA
    Participant

Fresh Ginger root, should be known to every-one with numerous health issues like most of us have.
    It is one of the top super foods of the world, it has
    many types of antioxidants, 20 if not more and the anti-inflammatory benefits it has is also countless.
    Research it for your-self, I’m going to watch to the
    Super Bowl. The best to all, …..Joe RA…..

PhilC
    Participant

By the way, black pepper and cinnamon also do not agree with me. Black pepper irritates my GI tract and I forget exactly what cinnamon did to me. Maybe I’ll try it again soon to refresh my memory. Fortunately, I can still eat garlic and use that a lot to spice up my food.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

@Joe RA wrote:

Fresh Ginger root, should be known to every-one with numerous health issues like most of us have.

Hi Joe,

I agree and love ginger! I usually add a hunk (skin and all) to my lemon/olive oil detox drink and it’s delicious. Also add tons of it to stir fry. Only downside is for anyone with gall bladder issues…it stimulates bile flow and can precipitate a GB attack. :mrgreen:

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Phil – you may be very sensitive to salicylates – ginger, black pepper and cinnamon are all very high in salicylates. You may also experience gut issues with NSAIDS that are salicylate based. The link below gives a list and the 2nd link is probably the best food additive website I’ve ever come across (Sue Dengate is Australian based at one of our teaching hospitals but is world renowned). That site has alot of info about food intolerances, including salicylates – have added the fact sheet link for that one too.

http://www.mysensitiveskincare.com/salicylate-free-diet.html

http://fedup.com.au/

http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/salicylates

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

Thanks for the info. If I am sensitive to salicyclates, wouldn’t that mean I’d probably react negatively to aspirin?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

possibly – seems like you dont (?) What is also possible is amine content – people are often sensitive to both. Might be worth you looking over the fedup site and seeing if you can join any dots.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.