Home Forums General Discussion Mobic – anti-inflammatory

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    maz.aust
    Participant

Does anyone here take Mobic as their anti-inflammatory ?? If so what strength do you take & how often. My GP is away on hol’s & I saw a locum in his place, I needed a script for Voltaren; anyway she mentioned I should come off Voltaren (even though I told her I only take 1x50mg tablet at night sometimes, not every day) & that I have never to date had any side effects from the Voltaren. All this conversation seemed to go out the window with Dr B who then refused to give me the script & has given me 20 days worth of Mobic to try.

I am soooo p’d off with her, just wanted to hear someone elses thoughts.

Maz – Aust

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

hi maz, when i took mobic i got bad headaches and pains in the chest, i cant take celebrex either same thing happens. i thought you could buy voltaren without a script? or is it just the cream you rub on?.. all the best ..kind regards ..di.

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Dianne,

Thanks for the input …
    Yes we can buy Voltaren at 25mg tabs from the chemist but it’s double the cash for me because I would be taking 2 at a time & the chemist will be none too pleased if I keep coming back for more….lol

Interesting you mention headaches, I did take the Mobic on Tues, Wed & yesterday & yes I got a severe headache at night all 3 days, I thought it was just me (even though I am not prone to headaches) maybe it was the Mobic ?? Haven’t taken any today so will see if I get one tonight, if not will take the med tomorrow & see what happens… easy to track it down when you know where to look isn’t it !! Thanks

Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

All off days Probiotics

Maz
    Keymaster

@maz.aust wrote:

I needed a script for Voltaren; anyway she mentioned I should come off Voltaren (even though I told her I only take 1x50mg tablet at night sometimes, not every day) & that I have never to date had any side effects from the Voltaren.

Maz, did the locum say why she didn’t want you on Voltaren? Was it due to the gastro side-effects? If so, there are Voltaren suppositories which bypass the upper gut.

Valsmum
    Participant

I just started mobic this past month. I got headaches for about 3 days and then they went away. I actually like mobic now, I feel a little bit better, than without it. I asked for the voltaren suppositories and my dr. said they don’t have them here in the states, so he gave me voltaren gel. I rubbed the voltaren gel on my lower back and I noticed that it helped too.
    Take care,
    Sheri

maz.aust
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

@maz.aust wrote:

I needed a script for Voltaren; anyway she mentioned I should come off Voltaren (even though I told her I only take 1x50mg tablet at night sometimes, not every day) & that I have never to date had any side effects from the Voltaren.

Maz, did the locum say why she didn’t want you on Voltaren? Was it due to the gastro side-effects? If so, there are Voltaren suppositories which bypass the upper gut.

Sorry Maz,
    My i/net was down all weekend so couldn’t reply to your question

She said there were ‘many many’ really bad side effects from Voltaren & didn’t like her patients on it at all. As I said I have never had any side effects from it whatsoever & my own GP has said many times I am taking well below what is the normal doses at any given time anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I stopped the Mobic because of the headaches & after a night sleep took one voltaren the next night & felt so much better,

I only take voltaren when I absolutely need to which currently is once or twice a day maybe twice a fortnight !! I don’t believe that would cause a problem ??

All off days Probiotics

Probably depends on the individual. I used it for a while no problems just worried about it interacting with what i am on
    At the moment I am on the dreaded oxy-contin but if i had not been on it i would not have made it so i am grateful as some cannot stand it. i did get a lower dose than he gave me so i do have to put up with a bit but then just use herron. which fills is beautifully and is safe. Does not seem to worry my liver at all. the oxy is slow release. Once my immune system recovers i will try and find an accupunturist. That is the best of the lot. You need to be rally killing th bugs though to be on the oxy as its an opiate however most strong pain killers have opiates in them. What happended to the MSM? I could not tolerate it.

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Rosemary,

As you know in the past I have used Oxy’s with P Forte & Tramadol & Voltaren without any problem ,, this was from the hospital back when I had that infection in my ankle under the plates – so don’t think Voltaren would be a prob with oxy’s ??
    As for the MSM it’s been a long while since I needed to use it but when I did it wasn’t a problem.

I checked back with my own GP today wanting to know what his slant was on all of it … apparently ALL anti-inflams have, mainly stomach, problems attached to them even Mobic but Mobic isn’t as bad as some others ,,, however he reiterated that as I only take one 50mg tablet every couple of nights over a week then probably none for the next week then one as needed again; even though I have had H.Pylori previously if I am not reacting to it now I shouldn’t in the future Plus he said the drug you know is always better than trying something new (as far as a patient is concerned) so for my money as I am not looking at getting pregnant (another inmmaculate conception if I did…lol) will be sticking to what I know is ok.

All off days Probiotics

hi maz, hope your doing ok. do you mind if i ask why you take the probiotics on the off days as i want to make sure i am doing the right thing. i was told to take them every day and twice a day, not by a doctor , it was a ND who supplied them for me , iam not her patient , just the only place i could get them?..kind regards di.

Maz can you email me about something, i cannot use the message it says you do not exist. I am having porblems with it. Also wondering why you are only using probiotic every second day. Would not get away with that myself.

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Rosemary,

Sent you a PM this morning at 11.00am our time

Maz

All off days Probiotics

Sandyg
    Participant

Hi all,
    Sorry I’ve been short on time lately, setting up new computer [still ongoing] so just catching up here!
    Just wanted to add that I have taken Mobic in the past and had no problems with it, but I remember one doctor telling me of some problems with it [but can’t think what it was] anyway I was switched to Naprosyn which I have taken for years, however I have been having problems with high blood pressure, which I believe is being caused by the drug, I decided to wean off it and am having to manage my pain with Panadol Osteo [not very effective] and the ocassional asprin [which I don’t like taking, but works the best].
    On seeing my Osteo doc recently[on waiting list for knee replacement] I questioned him about the high blood pressure/naprosyn connection and he said it wouldn’t be causing it, Hmmmm! I think he’s wrong.
    Anyone else on anti-inflamm having problems with high blood pressure??

I’ve also just got some blood results back and both my Potassium and magnesium levels although within the “normal range” are very low normal,so that could be a major cause of the problem, my GP has put me on blood pressure tablets and Inderal and he said the blood pressure tablets will increase the Potassium levels, it’s so confusing as I don’t like taking these drugs and would much rather supplement naturally, but the GP say’s too dangerous to supplement with Pot/Mag but surely can’t be as dangerous as taking all these drugs with their side effects!!

My “alternative” doc has the opposite view, so I feel as if I’m being tugged in both directions right now, and don’t know which way to go.

Thoughts anyone?

As far as Mobic goes I didn’t think it was being prescribed much these days.

Sandy-Aust

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Sandy
    You may be right about the Naprosyn – see info below. I notice that you were taking a sustained release version of this NSAID (Proxen) before also, which may also factor into this.

Naproxen can cause fluid retention and swelling in the body. NSAIDs like naproxen have also been linked to increased blood pressure. NSAIDs, including naproxen, are associated with an increased risk of adverse cardiovascular events, including heart attack, stroke, and new onset or worsening of pre-existing hypertension (high blood pressure). The cardiovascular risk may be increased with duration of use of naproxen or other NSAIDs or pre-existing cardiovascular risk factors or disease.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/naproxen/a/naproxen.htm
    What is your “alternative” doctor suggesting you do?
    As you started doxy just 3 weeks ago, inflammation you are experiencing could well be a sign that you are herxing – this is a classic timeframe for herx response to start.

I’m afraid I cant add anything to the discussion about which NSAID has worked for me. No NSAIDS ever had the slightest beneficial effect on me – apparently not uncommon with Palindromic RA. When in excruciating pain, the only thing that took the edge off it for me was Panadeine Forte. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sandy – you might also want to talk with your doc about about the possibility of adding CoQ10 to your supp regime. Here is a post of mine from another thread re this, including a link to a site that talks about it for heart health and for those with high blood pressure. Lynnie

…….talking of anti-oxidants, does anyone take CoQ10? It is something I have added to my supp regime as it contrinutes to energy on a mitochondrial level – and is depleted with age. The conventional medical establishment has cottoned onto this and it is now recommended by many docs for those with heart issues, high blood pressure and those taking statin drugs to lower cholesterol. Here’s some info:
    http://www.coenzymeq10.com.au/
    Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Sandyg
    Participant

Hi Lynnie-sydney,
    Thanks for the info on the Naprosyn, I will print it and show it to the Ortho-doc next time I go for one of their required check ups, makes me so mad that they can actually look you in the eye and tell you NOT to stop taking it as it doesn’t cause high blood pressure !!, 😡

I will ask my good doc about the COQ10, but I’m sure she will be O.K with it.

I’m not sure about the “herxing” the increased pain I’m feeling is more likely because I’m only taking the Panadol Osteo, although I would like to think it is the ABX doing something, however having said that although the pains [mainly in my back/ hips /legs] is constant, the level rises and lowers sometimes from one hour to the next and seems to shift, one minute I seem to have bone pain all down my legs, then I might have more intense pain in one big toe then the other, and as I have said before elsewhere, the pain level increases at the time of the full moon [which I have read is connected with Lyme] although I don’t really think I have Lyme but maybe a Mycoplasma.

Thanks
    Sandy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.