Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline with or without food

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DianaW13
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a question. I have run out of my Minocin stash and will begin the minocycline tonight. It is also in capsule form, but, alas it is powdered and not pelleted as the Minocin. Normally I would take my Mino about half hour to an hour before bed on an empty stomach. Just wondered if the generic – being a powder – would dissolve differently and affect the stomach 🙄

Also, if anyone else has had to switch from brand Minocin to generic, approximately how long did it take to notice whether or not it was working?

Thank you!

Diana
    (seroneg RA)

Mountian_Mike
    Participant

Hi,
    I had to switch from Minocin to the generic in January 2012. My symptoms gradually decreased accordingly with the AP (I was a little over 9 months into the AP of Minocin 2x a day on M,W,F) until the end of May 2012. Then I had a huge flare up which is lasting and lasting… So I am wondering if the generic is effective at all and I was coasting on the residuals from the Minocin.

The reason I wonder this is that I have previously attempted the AP and I was symptom free in one year! Then, like all slackers, I stopped taking it and surprise, surprise, the Rheaumatoid Arthritis that I’ve had since I was 13 came back.

AS for food, I seem to have an iron stomach and can take minocycline first thing when i wake and then again with dinner. Doesn’t seem to affect me either way.

Hope this helps a bit.
    -Mike

Mountian_Mike
    Participant

Hi Diane,
    Your query prompted further research on my part. After some slogging through the interweb, this site and info looks reliable.

Interesting on what it had to say about dairy inhibiting absorption.

http://home.intekom.com/pharm/apotex/ap-minoc.html
    -Mike

DianaW13
    Participant

Thanks for your replies Mike. Sorry to hear you are flaring. I am really not looking forward to switching to generic. I live in Canada where Minocin is no longer available. I am 11 months into AP and have been responding extremely well. I guess I will
    pay close attention to my blood work/symptoms and see. I don’t want to have to pay US prices for the Minocin, but I will if I have to (fortunately my GP is also licensed in the US so he can write me a prescription).

Interestingly, the link you sent named the same generic brand (Apo) minocycline that I have. It may be a totally different drug produced by the two different countries though. Is that the generic you have been on?

Diana

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Diana,
    @DianaW13 wrote:

Normally I would take my Mino about half hour to an hour before bed on an empty stomach. Just wondered if the generic – being a powder – would dissolve differently and affect the stomach 🙄

Taking the generic that close to bedtime seems a little risky to me. It may be an individual thing, but I always remain upright for at least one hour after taking doxy or mino. Not only does it mean not lying down during that time, it also means I try to avoid bending over for any reason.

I always take doxy or mino with food. I like to take it with some applesauce or rice. I use converted (paraboiled) rice for this purpose and rinse it well before cooking. Originally I used white rice, but recently switched to converted rice because the white rice apparently had too big of an effect on my blood sugar.

See also:
    https://www.roadback.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=62812#p62812

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much for your info. I actually did take it with a little applesauce last night. Stomach seems fine today 😀 Now here’s to hoping that the generic works as well as brand Minocin for me. Time will tell I guess.

All the best to you!
    Diana

kater
    Participant

Funny, I have been just fine taking the Mino on an empty stomach for 10 months (4 days a week I also take Clindy with it) and then about a month ago for some unknown reason it started to make me nauseous–even vomited one day so I now take it with some non-dairy low mineral food. I am wondering if it might be because I added Tinidazole a while back and my system is a bit over-loaded? Anyway, it is fine with food. I am taking the Novo/Teva generic since July and my great progress has continued.
    cheers
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi Kate,

It would appear that so far I don’t have any stomach issues, but with all the meds, that could change. I am on the Apo generic brand. Have you tried it?

Diana

Nico
    Participant

I was always told to take it on a empty stomach at least 2 hours after a meal!
    Nico

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.