Home Forums General Discussion minocycline vs minocin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Crunkie
    Participant

Last week, I was taking antibiotic 900 mg IVs of clindamycin 2 X per day, 6 hours apart, Monday through Friday.

Started 100 mg minocycline two X per day on an empty stomach on Friday, July 3 in the evening since I was given 3 IV’s on Thursday and one Friday morning so I could return home.

I have systemic scleroderma. I was just wondering about the differences between minocycline and the minocin. Our pharmacy told me that minocin is old school and that they have not had any on the shelf for decades. My pharmacist also said that minocin is about $1,000 a bottle. Another pharmacist said minocycline should work well for me.

Does anyone know anything about minocycline vs minocin for treatment for scleroderma?

I did see that the Harvard protocol is exactly what I am taking. 100 mg. of minocycline 2 X per day.

Thanks for any input on this.

jasregadoo

I’ve heard that the generics now are pretty good, and work for most people. I know Richie has been in remission for many years, and he takes brand name minocin. I don’t know if getting your doctor to prescribe it with no replacements will make any difference in the price. I was also told it was close to $1,000 a month for name brand, so I’ve been sticking to generic. But I’m RA, not SD.

That doesn’t really answer your question, but it’s my 2 cents worth.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Crunkie,

If this helps, many SD patients suffer from reflux and the pelleted brand, Minocin, seems to be easier on the stomach than the powdered generic capsule or coated tablet forms. For this reason, some people can have their doc prescribe the brand on these grounds, but it might take some negotiating with one’s insurance company.

It is strange that you were told that Minocin is ” old school.” Makes no sense…it’s the original version of generic minocycline. Brand names aren’t ” old school,” they are the original formulation and generics can be different in bioequivalncy by about 20%. The reason it’s probably not carried by most pharmacies, except as a special order, is because it’s now marketed as an exorbitant acne drug. Clever marketing when noting that Wyeth/Amgen also produces Enbrel, their blockbuster biological for RA. Although whoever would be rich enough to pay $1000 per month for a simple antibiotic for acne is beyond me. My guess is that it is absolutely now known how powerful this abx is for so many diseases….MS, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, asthma, rheumatic diseases, cancer prevention, etc., and it’s in direct competition with drugs that are also extortionately priced for the treatment of these diseases….but this is just my personal opinion based upon what Dr. Trenctham said when interviewed about AP. 😉

Check this out: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25625193/

richie
    Participant

THe only “old school ” in this equation is the pharmacist who said this —I consider my pharmacist an important member of my medical team –if this is what your pharmacist said –dump him he certainly doesnt offer knowledge –
    richie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.