Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline Tablet or Capsule

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Barb
    Participant

Just checked online (USA) for Minocycline prices and find that “tablets” are twice as expensive as “capsules” at stores like Walmart, Sams Club, Walgreens, etc. here in NC.
    Does anybody know WHY? I really hope someone knows!
    Because that’s my prescription: Minocycline.
    (I still haven’t found a doctor who prescribes Minocin and I’m hurting badly).

Thanks
    BarbK

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Barb,

I’m not sure why the tablets cost so much more. Tablets are harder to make than capsules, but it doesn’t really make sense that the price difference should be so great.

Here’s a useful article I just found: Capsule or Tablet?

I like minocycline tablets because most do not contain corn starch or food dyes. Being able to reduce my dose (if necessary) by splitting the tablets is another big plus. Unfortunately, the only generic minocycline tablets sold in the U.S. that I am comfortable with are the ones made by Par Pharmaceutical, and they are not inexpensive if one has to pay for them out of pocket.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Barb
    Participant

Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for your reply and the article! Fillers and dyes are of concern to me, too, but the choice is not always there (I’m taking Ibu every single day, they’re so pretty . . . .
    I’ll check out Par Pharmaceutical, never heard of them.
    I have to pay out of pocket, unfortunately.

Many thanks!
    BarbK

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.