Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline, doxycycline

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BG
    Participant

A heads up:

Some drug formularies have made doxycycline and at least some versions of minocycline and perhaps other tetracycline antibiotics a Tier 3 or Tier 4 class drug (i.e. specialty or high-cost drug) as of Jan. 1, 2015.

My drug formulary will also require the prescribing doctor and/or the patient to obtain prior approval before the insurance company will pay for the drug and listed a minimum patient co-pay of $150 per 30-day prescription plus co-insurance, etc. My medical insurance plan is currently the highest cost, best insurance plan money can buy with a premium of close to $900/month covering 90% of the cost of just about everything so I wonder what the cost of these drugs will now be for those with policies that cover less/pay out less?

I can’t help but wonder if this is a new way to deny antibiotics to people who claim they have acute or chronic Lyme disease or who use antibiotics to treat rheumatic conditions or is it a result of Ranbaxy drugs being banned from the US?

Barb

richie
    Participant

Doesnt really sound that for the money you are paying– you are getting decent coverage –just checked my formulary for 2015 –minocycline and doxycycline generics is tier 1 –In fact my 90 day prescription of minocin the brand is tier 3 which is still only 90.00-thats tier 3 —mine is part D -through Empire –I always knew I had a good plan and hearing about yours reinforces that !
    richie

BG
    Participant

Richie,

I’m not eligible for Medicare so as a retired individual with health problems requiring expensive tests, this policy is actually cheaper for me overall than anything else available to me at the present time. Other policies may have cheaper premiums but they have much higher deductibles, co-payments, co-insurance, cover less, etc., so I would end up paying more in the long run. The situation in Iowa is somewhat unique. There are only 2 health insurance providers offering plans via the Affordable Care Act so there’s no competition bringing prices down.

Once one drug company’s formulary successfully makes a med a specialty or high priced med requiring prior approval and limiting the supply to no more than 30 days, others will follow.

richie
    Participant

Hi–I think guidelines for insurance cos.differ from state to state —seems Iowa is insurance co friendly as your drug coverage is not so good —-NY is not as friendly –
    Richie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.