Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline and Nystatin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    Participant

Does anyone know whether it is compatible to take minocycline and nystatin together? I looked up drug reactions and couldn’t find any between the two.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I have combined them and believe it is fine. Nystatin is a wash-out med rather than a systemic, so is not broken down by the liver and is relatively benign. My understanding is there shouldn’t be any problem with it.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Rose
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie, I was taking Diflucan about every three months because was having some issues with Yeast. However, I developed a reaction to it that caused lesions to appear on my skin, at least that’s what my dermatologist told me. The lesion looked almost like a ringworm. Since I’m only taking Minocycline now on MWF I hope the yeast issue will behave itself with Nystatin that I take on MWF with the minocycline. Rose

Maz
    Keymaster

@Rose wrote:

Thanks Lynnie, I was taking Diflucan about every three months because was having some issues with Yeast. However, I developed a reaction to it that caused lesions to appear on my skin, at least that’s what my dermatologist told me. The lesion looked almost like a ringworm. Since I’m only taking Minocycline now on MWF I hope the yeast issue will behave itself with Nystatin that I take on MWF with the minocycline. Rose

Hi Rose,

This sounds like a pretty unusual skin reaction for Diflucan. Did the dermatologist say it was ringworm or an allergic reaction of some kind? Was it itchy? Size of lesions? Can you describe the lesions in a bit more detail?

Strangely, there can be some odd die-off symptoms from candida, but the rash, itself, is usually a mass of small, confluent red skin papules that are itchy. This link doesn’t describe skin rashes as being a synptom of candida die-off, but lists other die-off symptoms you might find interesting. In my case, I’ve never had overt candida signs/symptoms while on abx, but did experience a pretty massive flu-like herx with chills, fever, sweats, muscle aches, etc when I started nystatin:

http://www.holistichelp.net/candida-die-off.html

I use both doxy and nystation together currently – as Lynnie said, no problem whatsoever in terms of compatibility. My LLMD told me, however, that dosage is quite important, because candida can become resistant to anti-fungals if not taken properly.

Is there any chance you may have had Lyme at some stage? Late stage EM rashes can occur that also look like ringworm. Here is an informative blog about discerning the difference between EM rashes and fungal rashes:

http://lymeliterate.hubpages.com/hub/Ringworm-vs-Lyme-Disease-How-to-tell-the-difference-between-the-Bulls-Eye-Rash

Rose
    Participant

No, she said it wasn’t ringworm, did call it a name which I should have written down. Will ask her when I see her next month if she has it on record. It was about the size of a dime very red, raised itchy area. Happened three times always after taking Diflucan, but only after a couple of years. Usually came on my neck and sometimes on my arm. Maybe it was a die off. She is the one who changed me to the nystatin, but now my rheumatologist prescribes it.

Maz
    Keymaster

@Rose wrote:

No, she said it wasn’t ringworm, did call it a name which I should have written down. Will ask her when I see her next month if she has it on record. It was about the size of a dime very red, raised itchy area. Happened three times always after taking Diflucan, but only after a couple of years. Usually came on my neck and sometimes on my arm. Maybe it was a die off. She is the one who changed me to the nystatin, but now my rheumatologist prescribes it.

Yea, makes sense it couldn’t be ring-worm, because the diflucan would have cleared such a fungal infection. I’m wondering if it may be something similar to what I have had once or twice while on my Lyme protocols….called, “discoid eczema.” Had never had it before or since (several years ago now) and it cleared on its own after about 6 to 8 weeks. This link has a wide variety of discoid eczema pics, but the type I had might be similar to what you’re describing….well-defined outer rim, raised and itchy with a scaly, dry center. I was worried at the time that it might be discoid lupus, but it wasn’t that, as confirmed by my doc.

http://www.rash-pictures.com/category/4/

Good luck on the nystatin and hope the rash (whatever it is) clears up soon with no further issues. 🙂

Rose
    Participant

Maz, Thank you very much for the photos, mine looked very much like the one on the bottom row on the hand. I haven’t had it since I went off the Diflucan. I will try to find out what she called it next month when I see her. She asked me if I would mind if she brought in a couple of internists to look at it, I said no I wouldn’t mind. I guess it isn’t too common. This is a teaching hospital at University of Virginia.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.