Home Forums General Discussion Minocin Vs generic mino plus Pulsing vs 2x a day

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nason
    Participant

Was using Brand name Minocin for 8 years 2x a day. Four years of almost complete remission on this protocol. Insurance will no longer pay for Minocin, No longer available in Canada (that I can find) and I must choose a generic to replace. Symptoms coming back. Any general consensus on the best manufacturer for generic mino? Also, I noticed some on this site have switched from pulsing to 2x a day. Is this now the better choice, or is it an individual thing according to re-action? Since Dr T in Boston retired, I have been pretty much on my own for treatment, with the help of my naturepath for bloodwork and prescriptions. Thought it would be easy to get it back under control.. It is not so far. Any suggestions?

richie
    Participant

Have you appealed the minocin decision with your insurance co.????

richie
    Participant

Trenthams protocol was 2x daily every day for scleroderma -not pulsing

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

What are you currently taking (and how much), and which illness are you dealing with?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Nason
    Participant

I have had RA since 2002. I was taking 100mg Minocin twice a day for 4 years. I felt 90% better. Started getting face and teeth pigmentation which sometimes happens with Minocin. Felt so much better though, foolishly thought I was cured and because of the face discoloration and Dr.T’s retirement I stopped antibiotics for 2 years. Over time the symptoms slowly returned. I am now taking 100mg minocycline (manufacturer AUROB) once a day. Plan on increasing to twice a day the end of January. Should I do this or switch to another antibiotic?

Nason
    Participant

Yes that is what I was taking for my RA when I was Dr. T’s patient 100mg Minocin 2x a day. Back then I had no prescription insurance and got my Minocin quickly and inexpensively from Canada. Thought I would always be able to do that. My current insurance says no to Minocin. Looking for something that will work reasonably well.

vinny
    Participant

Nason
    My insurance switched me to 100mg Minocycline capsules which don’t work for me. I am now buying out of pocket. I get 90 tablets made by Par from Walmart for $116. I just recently got 90 tablets directly from India for $78, which I will start tomorrow. I got them with a script from clearskypharnmacy.com

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I am now taking 100mg minocycline (manufacturer AUROB) once a day. Plan on increasing to twice a day the end of January. Should I do this or switch to another antibiotic?

Ask your doctor to prescribe minocycline tablets, and try to get tablets made by Par Pharmaceutical. I take them, and can recommend them.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

vinny
    Participant

Appears like Clearsky Pharmacy has doubled the price on their 100mg Minocycline tablets since I ordered in Dec.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Nason
    Participant

Thank you, that was the kind of information I was looking. Tablets instead of capsules? How many a day do you take one or two?. Par manufacturing I assume is important. I have a doctors appt next week and will see about switching. Thanks again.

Spiffy1

Ok. Been going along pretty well even though I realized I had plateaued with my healing for awhile. But if I had stayed where I was at forever I could have been happy. However, I have had several stresses over the holiday season to include my mom falling at my house in the middle of the night breaking her nose with lots of bleeding. When she woke me up I had a small stomach bug lasting through the next day. I slept for about two weeks with her on our sectional. I slept well I thought but began to have right hip pain after sitting in the evening but no morning stiffness. I got back in my regular bed hoping this would fix things. But weeks later my right hip has become increasingly sore to include mornings. It has drastically slowed me down for sure. During this time I should note that I came off fish oil, turmeric, olive oil, and berberine because I got worried my blood was too thin. I waited a month and am slowly stepping back into these at a lower dose. I guess it could only be stress. Or supplement change. Or Ranbaxy. Or LDN…not enough or too much…I recently started Paractin (andrographis) after my hip pains started hoping it would help because I studied the trials…wow! They seem to be getting worse…especially my right side. It could just be disease progression which at some point I might need to accept, but I keep fighting back. Just needed to tell you guys. Hope you are doing well with where you are in your healing.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Nason
    Participant

I just had to pay $154.00 for 60 tablets of minocycline by Par from Walmart. I thought it was outrageous for the generic version of Minocin. I will try it and see if it works better for me than the capsules, but am still upset by the price. How did you get a prescription from the pharmacy in canada?

PhilC
    Participant

You can order Teva-Minocycline capsules from a Canadian pharmacy. The cost would be about $87 for 100 capsules. I’ve never tried them, but several people have had good results using that generic.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Does anyone know what brand of tetracycline Dr Brown used in his protocol? Whatever he used seems to have worked pretty well and with the problem of not being able to get brand name Minocin these days, I was curious if it was ever mentioned anywhere in the literature if he preferred a particular brand or manufacturer.

You posted your question in an unrelated discussion, so I am replying here to avoid sidetracking the other thread.

The idea that only Minocin is effective is a myth. People are having success with generic minocycline and also other brands of minocycline. I’m not saying that all generics are equal, though, because they probably are not.

Another option is to have a compounding pharmacist make minocycline capsules using pure minocycline and microcrystalline cellulose as the sole filler. Ingredient-wise, that is the closest thing to pelleted Minocin one can get. However, that option is more expensive (compared to generic minocycline), and is typically not covered by insurance. For most people that’s likely to be unnecessary. People with a lot of allergies or sensitivities are more likely to benefit.

Switching to tetracycline is unlikely to be helpful in your case. Switching to doxycycline would make more sense, but even doxy is likely to be less helpful because you have been on minocycline for a long time.

The fact that you took minocycline for years and then stopped taking it for two years is not good. When people do that and the disease later returns, what often happens is people find that minocycline is no longer as effective as it was originally. To compensate for the loss of effectiveness, a physician may switch the patient to an antibiotic in another class, or add it to the treatment as a supplement to the minocycline.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.