Home Forums General Discussion MINOCIN VERSUS MINOCYCLINE EFFICACY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    MINOCINMAN
    Participant

I have been using Minocycline, but have now read that Dr T in Boston and I believe Dr F in Riverside counsel their patients to only go with Name brand, Minocin. I did read that Minocyline by Watson is certified as an equivalent by FDA. Can anyone comment on any need to go name brand which is much more expensive?????????

JeffN
    Participant

When I began treatment with Dr. T almost four years ago I asked about this as he had prescribed generic for me. He said that he used to prescribe brand name but was only prescribing generic (Jan ’07) and had good results with that. That was then and he may have changed back to brand name. I saw him in May and I am still on generic. I have been on Watson for all but a couple of months during the four years and it has worked for me, I have never been on brand name so I don’t know if that would have worked better.

mschmidt
    Participant

Minocinman,

I can only comment on the brand name Minocin, which I’ve been taking since December of 2008. Prior to that, I was taking the generic version (not sure which brand) for acne, before I even had symptoms of SD. Who knows whether it helped stave off some of the SD symptoms or not. All I know is that when my symptoms really started getting out of control, I was on the generic minocycline, and I had NO improvement. It wasn’t until I was diagnosed with SD in August of 2008, and started the brand name Minocin in December of 2009 that I noticed any improvement in my finger swelling, etc. Then, a month later, I started doing clindy iv’s, and I flared beyond flaring until July of 2009. I’ve read that there have been people that see improvement with generic minocycline. I think the best thing to do is get as much info on both as possible, and discuss with an experienced AP doctor that has treated many patients.

Best of luck to you.

Maria

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Minocin brand name is recommended and getting it at buylow helps with the price. However, if the price is out of your budget or not covered by insurance, I have had good results with Watson generic as have others who have shared on the forum.

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

Thank you all for your responses. I think that this could have been a false rumor that DR T and DR F say to only take name brand.

I can only comment on the brand name Minocin, which I’ve been taking since December of 2008. Prior to that, I was taking the generic version (not sure which brand) for acne, before I even had symptoms of SD. Who knows whether it helped stave off some of the SD symptoms or not. All I know is that when my symptoms really started getting out of control, I was on the generic minocycline, and I had NO improvement. It wasn’t until I was diagnosed with SD in August of 2008, and started the brand name Minocin in December of 2009 that I noticed any improvement in my finger swelling, etc. Then, a month later, I started doing clindy iv’s, and I flared beyond flaring until July of 2009. I’ve read that there have been people that see improvement with generic minocycline. I think the best thing to do is get as much info on both as possible, and discuss with an experienced AP doctor that has treated many patients.

Best of luck to you.

Maria[/quote]

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Dr S from Ida Grove told me that even doxycicline is good, but minocycline is better, he did not insist it has to be Minocin. Despite that I made sure to get Minocin although it was extremely difficult for me and I’ve been on if for 1.5 months now.
    Take casre,

Aynur

JeffN
    Participant

@MINOCINMAN wrote:

Thank you all for your responses. I think that this could have been a false rumor that DR T and DR F say to only take name brand.

I believe that in the case with my doc that it was more of a change in position than a false rumor. From what I understand he was prescribing brand name until shortly before I began AP treatment with him. He may have changed back to brand name I don’t know.

BeatingRA
    Participant

When I started going to Dr T in January 2006 he insisted on brand. He had to fill out forms for my insurance carrier to convince them to pay for it. It took a few months to get it settled so that they would stop denying me everytime I needed a refill. I have heard that he started prescribing generic but he always writes my refills for brand. I have an appointment with him in a couple of weeks. I will ask him about it. I’ve been thinking about this because I am facing a possible lay-off early next year and will end up switching insurance carriers if it happens.

Theresa

Mini
    Participant

I am also currently seeing Dr T who has prescribed generic Mino for me because according to him it’s not covered by insurance commonly and is exhorbitantly expensive. May be that’s why he is not prescribing the brand any more… ❓

RickinCA
    Participant

@MINOCINMAN wrote:

I have been using Minocycline, but have now read that Dr T in Boston and I believe Dr F in Riverside counsel their patients to only go with Name brand, Minocin. I did read that Minocyline by Watson is certified as an equivalent by FDA. Can anyone comment on any need to go name brand which is much more expensive?????????

Dr. F is my doctor (thanks to this forum and thank G-d!). He put me on Doryx (a time released version of Doxycycline) but I was not able to find it under 300 usd for a month’s supply. After reading post after post here and other sites, before I took anything I asked Dr F if I could use the generic tablets (rust colored). He agreed, but adjusted my dosage. So I began my regimen at 100mg on an empty stomach after rising (that’s not fun at first) and 200mg at night, MWF. This is, of course, supplemented with a few additional vit’s etc, eg Transfer Factor, DHEA, Fish Oil, CoQ10, and absolutely a pro-biotic. I should probably mention my cocktail of zyrtec, benedryl and tagamet before bed as well.

I herxed about two weeks into the program. Glad I knew that was going to happen. Dr. F (and all of you) told me I would “get worse before I got better.” That happened and it wasn’t so bad really. Especially since this all happened about two months back and now, I can feel my body approaching homeostasis once again. Pretty amazing. Sorry for the ramble, but just saying the generic seems to be having a definite and positive effect on whatever the heck has been going on in me. I’ve seen several doctors regarding my symptoms over the last several months. Only one of them knew how to fix me… Dr. F.

Thank you’s to many people here for the education and support. If it wasn’t for you, I would likely be living in apprehension waiting for the next flare to occur. I have to mention by name, Lynnie, Maz, Kim, Maria, Vonni, Steve, Phil, and MinocinMan for all your help and highly informed opinions.

Get and/or Stay well soon…

R

P.S. Apologies for anyone I may have left out!

Maz
    Keymaster

Rick, thanks so much for sharing your update with us! I remember your arrival and it’s so wonderful to hear you’re well on your road back now! Please don’t be a stranger, okay? You’re a prime example of why early treatment for rheumatic disease is so effective and, when you feel your old self again, would love to add your testimonial to the main site! 😀 It’s a great way to “pay it forward” to others who arrive, scared and anxious, and afraid they are making the right choice.

So grateful, Rick – thanks!

Maz
    Keymaster

@MINOCINMAN wrote:

MinocinMan, in the upcoming Fall edition of the RBF eBulletin, we are including an article by Dr. T. and he speaks to the brand-generic issue. If interested to read Dr. T’s perspective on this and other opinions he is sharing in this article regarding his experience of using minocycline for rheumatic diseases, would suggest subscribing to the eBulletin. This can be done by going to the main RBF homepage (http://www.roadback.org) and entering your email in the subscribe box on the right hand side. Email addresses are kept strictly private and are not used for any other purpose than to send out these quarterly eBulletins or important foundation announcements. The next eBulletin should be arriving to subscriber emails within the next week or two. 🙂

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

Thank you very much. So I and others do not miss the newsletters, can you post a copy as they come out just in case the email is blocked by servers, etc. I am on the email list. 🙂

@Maz wrote:

@MINOCINMAN wrote:

MinocinMan, in the upcoming Fall edition of the RBF eBulletin, we are including an article by Dr. T. and he speaks to the brand-generic issue. If interested to read Dr. T’s perspective on this and other opinions he is sharing in this article regarding his experience of using minocycline for rheumatic diseases, would suggest subscribing to the eBulletin. This can be done by going to the main RBF homepage (http://www.roadback.org) and entering your email in the subscribe box on the right hand side. Email addresses are kept strictly private and are not used for any other purpose than to send out these quarterly eBulletins or important foundation announcements. The next eBulletin should be arriving to subscriber emails within the next week or two. 🙂

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

Yes, I plan to write a detailed testimony once I am further along. I am very grateful for te huge support this forum as provided and ceratinly plan to provide support to others in future.

@Maz wrote:

Rick, thanks so much for sharing your update with us! I remember your arrival and it’s so wonderful to hear you’re well on your road back now! Please don’t be a stranger, okay? You’re a prime example of why early treatment for rheumatic disease is so effective and, when you feel your old self again, would love to add your testimonial to the main site! 😀 It’s a great way to “pay it forward” to others who arrive, scared and anxious, and afraid they are making the right choice.

So grateful, Rick – thanks!

Maz
    Keymaster
    MINOCINMAN wrote:
    So I and others do not miss the newsletters, can you post a copy as they come out just in case the email is blocked by servers, etc. I am on the email list. 🙂

MINOCINMAN wrote:
    Hi MinocinMan,

Yes, will do. Usually what happens is that an RBFV announcement is made on the forum to alert new registered users to sign up for the free quarterly eBulletin, if they want a copy. This should be happening here on the forum this week with the subject header, “Forum Announcement – RBF Fall 2010 eBulletin.”

Then, on the same thread, once we have the link to read the eBulletin online from the webmaster, we’ll post this for anyone to read it later, at their leisure.

So, if you happen to miss the eBulletin in your email inbox, then just check back on the RBFV Announcement thread later and you should find the direct link to it.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.