Home Forums General Discussion Minocin no longer manufactured?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Char M
    Participant

Is this true? I finally got insurance to approve pelletized brand Minocin and CVS pharmacy just called me to say that can’t get it because the manufacturer is not longer making it. Does anyone know if this is correct?
    Thanks,
    Charlene

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Watson is no longer making minocycline. Don’t know about minocin. CVS makes mistakes. Check drugs.com

DianeTexas
    Participant

Minocin (namebrand) is now being manufactured by Onset Dermatologics. I got the run around a few months ago with my mail-in pharmacy and ended up contacting Onset directly to inquire if they were having manufacturing issues as I was told. Onset is having no problems and I go my order!

I am in my 9th year of AP. I so need to get by act in gear and get a testamonial up!

Maz
    Keymaster

@DianeTexas wrote:

I am in my 9th year of AP. I so need to get by act in gear and get a testamonial up!

Wooohoo, Diane! That would be GREAT! Please send it to testimonial@roadback.org or directly to me and I’ll make sure it gets uploaded on the site: maz@roadback.org

Thanks, Diane, and always lovely to hear from you! 🙂

richie
    Participant

Hi Tell CVS to get on the ball !!!! Diane is quite correct Onset is now the company producing minocin –just got my refill this week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    richie

Anonymous
    Participant

I went to Onset Dermatologics site today and found that they have a coupon to use that you only pay $25 for a month supply. I called CVS and of course they can’t get that brand. I then called another pharmacy and hopefully they will. I also called the company to ask more about the coupon and they said that as long as a person has insurance coverage this coupon works, even if their insurance doesn’t cover brand names. I’m pretty excited. I’ve been getting my Minocin from Canada for quite a while.

richie
    Participant

While I have a CVS one mile from me –I use a small pharmacy –its the same cost but a small pharmacy has more flexibility and will generally go out of his or her way to accomodate a customer whereas a CVS must follow “company policy “
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi AS a matter of fact –Onset just introduced a 75 mg strength –so their commitment to minocin is substantial –I read the fine print and it read that the coupon is to be applied to the co–pay hope it works even if the insurance doesnt pay for brand –not sure –
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

@grannyc wrote:

I went to Onset Dermatologics site today and found that they have a coupon to use that you only pay $25 for a month supply. I called CVS and of course they can’t get that brand. I then called another pharmacy and hopefully they will. I also called the company to ask more about the coupon and they said that as long as a person has insurance coverage this coupon works, even if their insurance doesn’t cover brand names. I’m pretty excited. I’ve been getting my Minocin from Canada for quite a while.

Be sure to read the fine print on the coupon. I cannot see how the coupon would work if a person’s insurance policy doesn’t cover brand names. The whole idea of the coupon is to reduce the amount of a person’s co-pay; if an insurance policy doesn’t cover brand names then there won’t even be a co-pay since the drug isn’t covered. Looking at it another way, if your insurance policy doesn’t cover brand names then that would make you a cash-paying customer for brand-name drugs. The coupon explicitly states, “This coupon is not valid for cash paying patients.” The coupon is also not valid for any kind of government health plan.

Unfortunately, I believe that the Onset Dermatologics representative you spoke with gave you bad information. I doubt that it was intentional, though. I recommend that you take the coupon to your pharmacist and ask if it will work for you before ordering the Minocin.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi Unfortunately I think Phil is correct —
    richie

Woods1977
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with Minocin from this company Onset Dermatologics? As a user of Watson, I’m just extremely nervous about the thought of a new brand/manufacturer.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I heard someone say if your insurance doesn’t cover brand name Minocin, if your doctor writes ‘dispense as covered’ you can fight for coverage. Not sure if that is true.

richie
    Participant

Hi The pelleted minocin has been bought and sold many times starting with Lederle through Onset -its the same medicine made on the same machinery —-I use minocin for now 15 years through all these different hands and can safely tell you its the same med —
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi Jan –you heard correct –if your doctor is willing to write the RX DAW and then write a letter to your insurance co. –most likely they will turn you down –you then appeal it –sometimes it works –I will say it is probably more difficult to win with RA because there are many options now of other meds –while with scleroderma there is no other med that will treat the disease —
    richie

Denyse
    Participant

I am a Canadian with no coverage in the states and the coupon has been working for me!! I have been using it since the end of June. I have to go over to the states for my doctoring in order to get brand from onset, as us Canadians cannot buy Brand from Canada through the American online pharmacies set up in Canada.

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.