Home Forums General Discussion Minocin MR Made by Meda Pharmaceuticals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vera
    Participant

Has anyone tried Minocin MR Modified Release? It is manufactured by Meda Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Source: United Kingdom. According to specifications sent to me by the pharmacy, they quote:
    “The capsule is orange and brown in colour and contains a mixture of yellow and white pellets.”

Before I spend the money, I am very interested to know if this would be identical to the Minocin made by Triax. What I don’t understand is how they can call it Minocin.

I’d be grateful for any insight.

Lori

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lori,

@vera wrote:

I am very interested to know if this would be identical to the Minocin made by Triax.

They are not identical.

@vera wrote:

What I don’t understand is how they can call it Minocin.

There are several different companies throughout the world that make Minocin.

They are:

# Wyeth
    # AHP Schweiz
    # GlaxoSmithKline
    # Lederle
    # Metro Drug Distribution
    # Neopharm, Israel
    # Patheon
    # Stiefel Laboratories
    # Teofarma
    # Triax Pharmaceuticals

Source:
    http://drugs-about.com/drugs-m/minocin.html

Note: Some of those companies may no longer manufacture (or distribute) Minocin.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

vera
    Participant

Phil,

Thanks for your help, I was hoping you would give me a clue about this. I went to a Canadian pharmacy website, and they have a picture of Minocin but it is stamped ‘Lederle’ – so that was a clue something was wrong.

I supposed there is no Canadian pharmacy that sells Triax Minocin anymore??

Lori

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Lori – Wyeth is the company that originally had the patent – then Wyeth-Lederle after a merger. Rights have changed hands a fair bit since it’s been out of patent…..which has also given rise to alot of generics on the market

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

vera
    Participant

Lynnie,

Thank you for your post! I am just amazed that a completely different company can legally call a medication ‘MINOCIN’ when it isn’t even made by the same company.

BTW, I thank the Lord that my doctor was able to get approval for the real thing yesterday. I am still in shock. It is only for one year. We will have to go to bat every year it seems, but I’ll take it. 🙂

Best!

Lori

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Lori
    That’s because the rights to manufacture the brand (versus generic) are held by different companies in different countries. And, given the global reach of the internet, access to Minocin manufactured by different companies is possible.

Also sometimes the brand is called by a different name in different countries. For instance, in Australia, New Zealand (and I think South Africa) the brand is called Minomycin and the rights are held by Sigma Pharmaceuticals.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

vera
    Participant

Lynnie,

It is sure confusing out there. I am so glad there are people like you who understand what’s going on! Thanks for making it clear as it makes much more sense now! Bottom line for consumers – check the manufacturer I guess.

Best!

Lori

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.