Home Forums General Discussion Minocin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    datsheri
    Participant

Hi all (husband here )

My wife went to doctor last friday ,finally a doctor that understand her problem

Dr prescribe Minocin 100mg

I am trying to find out what brand should i get or where can i get ,i heard that generic brand its not effective

our insurance dont cover for Minocin only generic brand

i was wonder if i can get Minocin out the country for a better price ?

thank you all

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @datsheri wrote:

Dr prescribe Minocin 100mg

I am trying to find out what brand should i get or where can i get ,i heard that generic brand its not effective

That is not true. What you heard is nothing more than rumor (and possibly also propaganda). The pelleted form of Minocin (not all Minocin is pelleted), however, may be a better choice for people who have difficulty tolerating generic minocycline due to GERD (aka “acid reflux”).

I like minocycline tablets because most do not contain corn starch or synthetic dyes. Being able to reduce my dose (if necessary) by splitting the tablets is another big plus. Of the generic minocycline tablets sold in the U.S., I prefer the ones sold by Par Pharmaceutical and Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals. Both are made in the U.S. and do not contain corn starch or synthetic dyes. However, they are not inexpensive if one has to pay for them out of pocket. Minocycline capsules sold by Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals also do not contain synthetic dyes, and are made in the U.S., but they do contain corn starch (like almost all generic minocycline capsules).

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi Problem is in the US only the brand is pelleted !!!!! However there are very good generics from reputable cos. –Teva– Watson comes to mind —
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi –I suppose as long as minocin is made at their Ohm plant in the states -its ok as the FDA approved that plant –the plants in India -exports are still banned –I quit my pharmacy of 20 years cause he claimed he could get only get my blood pressure med from Ranbaxy –I dont take chances and always pass on any med manufactured in India –If its an Indian company made in the US –that generic is ok –I also question the term propaganda as to pelleted minocin–I would say if the cost was not prohibitive 90 % of people would be using the brand –but at 13.00 or so for a 100 mg capsule I can understand why many folks cant use it –Fortunately my appeal is grandfathered in —
    richie

johncsaul
    Participant

Maybe check out “Aknem,” the Germany manufactured (pelleted) Minocycline. So far, it’s been fairly affordable out of pocket, easier on the gut and I have made improvement (scleroderma) using it in combination with IV Clindamycin.

richie
    Participant

Hi Quite right it is pelleted but unfortunately not sold in the USA —
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

@richie wrote:

However there are very good generics from reputable cos. –Teva– Watson comes to mind —

I don’t like either of those. Both of them contain a bunch of synthetic dyes (especially the Teva), including at least one dye that’s known to cause allergic reactions in some people. Also, Watson mino is made in India. I don’t think that was always the case, but it is now.

Manufactured by:
    Watson Pharma Private Ltd.
    Verna, Salcette Goa 403 722 INDIA

Distributed by:
    Watson Pharma, Inc.
    Corona, CA 92880 USA

Source: MINOCYCLINE HYDROCHLORIDE capsule [Watson Laboratories, Inc.]

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Woods1977
    Participant

I’ve used Watson in the past and have had a great deal of success… You can find it at CVS Pharmacies.

needhelp
    Participant

Is the generic 100mg capsule minocycline (Watson) as effective as the brand name? Does it matter if one takes the generic capsule or pelleted generic?

kwlile
    Participant

I’ve been on Watson for almost two years and it’s worked very well for me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.