Home Forums General Discussion MINO VS. MINOCYCLINE?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SarahB80
    Participant

HELLO ALL! I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THIS SITE BUT HAD A QUESTION FOR ALL YOU ON AP. I WAS OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH SCLERODERMA IN JULY 2010 BUT SEEMS TO HAVE HAD THE MARKERS SINCE AT LEAST LATE 2008, IF NOT LONGER. I ALSO TESTED POSITIVE TO LYME. I SEE DR. K IN LUFKIN AND WAS ON 31 DAYS OF IV TO TREAT THE LYME. I AM CURRENTLY ON 100 MG 2 X DAILY OF MINOCYCLINE. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN IMPROVEMENT WITH THE GENERIC DRUG? WOULD YOU SUGGEST SWITCHING TO MINO EVEN THOUGH IT IS VERY VERY EXPENSIVE PRIOR TO MEETING MY DEDUCTIBLE? ADVICE? PERSONAL EXPERIENCES PLEASE?

THANKS,

KateLove
    Participant

I’m personally interested to read answers on this, as someone about to embark on the AP journey. I do believe Minocin is the “gold standard” but it is cost prohibitive for most. However, I think some people have good success with generic. Like everything in this crazy situation, it’s individual. For me it would be by hook or by crook to get the money to pay for it (one person said it was equal to her mortgage payment).

Others feel your pain, Sarah! That’s all I’m sayin’…

The experienced folks will chime in…

p.s. — unrelated – Maria if you’re reading this, I owe you a reply and a big thank you. Have just been a little freaked out. (I know the SD people – diagnosed and otherwise – get it).

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

@SarahB80 wrote:

HELLO ALL! I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THIS SITE BUT HAD A QUESTION FOR ALL YOU ON AP. I WAS OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH SCLERODERMA IN JULY 2010 BUT SEEMS TO HAVE HAD THE MARKERS SINCE AT LEAST LATE 2008, IF NOT LONGER. I ALSO TESTED POSITIVE TO LYME. I SEE DR. K IN LUFKIN AND WAS ON 31 DAYS OF IV TO TREAT THE LYME. I AM CURRENTLY ON 100 MG 2 X DAILY OF MINOCYCLINE. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN IMPROVEMENT WITH THE GENERIC DRUG? WOULD YOU SUGGEST SWITCHING TO MINO EVEN THOUGH IT IS VERY VERY EXPENSIVE PRIOR TO MEETING MY DEDUCTIBLE? ADVICE? PERSONAL EXPERIENCES PLEASE?

THANKS,

I am using Watson brand, Minocycline and getting better. From my research, this generic version is certified to be a generic equivalent and the big AP Doctors DR T DR S and I think Dr F all support it.

RAinPA
    Participant

I’m using minocycline manufactured by Teva. My AP, Dr B said it would work the same as minocin.

gordbentley
    Participant

i use the teva brand as well. should i be using another brand??!! whats this cost prohibitive one and how much is it?

Joe RA
    Participant

I have used minocycline for over six years and it works just fine, when I started AP told myself if, minocycline did’nt notice a change in three months I would switch to minocin. I did’nt have too, the minocycline worked great and I have used Ranbaxy, Watson, Global and Teva brands The best to all….. Joe

gordbentley
    Participant

thanx Joe for answering my question. now my heart rate can slow down lmao. seriously I got worried for a minute there 😆

KateLove
    Participant

Well, I have finally been successful 🙂 in getting a doc to write a script for minocycline! Yes, yes, yes! And this on a day when my skin feels dry like paper. Everytime I start to think, “Well, maybe it’s not really happening…” something happens to wake me up. So getting the prescription phoned in is a timely blessing.

Of course, the prescribing doc is an AP doctor. The man is a saint, in my opinion.

On the topic of generic vs. brand, not to be a generic snob, but after reading some of the posts on this topic prior to today, I indicated to him that I would like Watson generic. Costco pharmacy, you and I have a date with destiny.

Thank you to all here (but especially minocinman, Maria, Margaret, Maz, Andrea, and anyone else I’ve forgotten). Some of you still have lengthier PM’s coming your way in the near future.

Hugs,

-Kate

Parisa
    Participant

Sarah,

If you had RA, I would say go ahead and try the generic but with scleroderma I would really go with the name brand. That’s my take from being on this board for 5 years.

Krys
    Participant

Hi Sarah,
    You can get Minocin for $165 for 100 count of 100 mg capsules at Canadian online pharmacy, buylowdrugs. It takes a few weeks (usually 2 – 8 I think). There were many threads devoted to it and you may find all the info by searching “minocin” or “minocin, buylowdrugs”. Press General Discussion button above and then right by NEWTOPIC there’s a search window.
    It is all explained in the threads. While ordering from Canada, it it is very important to specify on the order form: “Stiefel brand pelleted Minocin only”.
    I order Azithromycin there and am very happy with the company, their customer service and with the price. Saving $1000 for 3 months supply feels great. Warm wishes, Krys

mikana
    Participant

@SarahB80 wrote:

THANKS,

Hi Sarah, My husband is on name brand and has had incredible improvements. He also rotates with clindy. How do you like Dr. K? Mike sees her also and we just adore her. I really can’t give a comment on the generic because he doesn’t use that.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sarah – the online Canadian pharmacy is http://www.buylowdrugs.com. Around $65 for 100. Alot of people here use this reputable supplier. Site explains in detail how to go about ordering etc. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.