Home Forums General Discussion Mino on empty stomach or not?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

I’ve developed chronic GERD that has reached a pre-Barrett’s condition. Most of the time I take my mino on an empty stomach. I’m wondering if this is contributing to my GERD. If I took my pill with a cracker would this be okay or would it reduce the effectiveness of the mino? I already take a probiotic so lack of it is not the cause of my issue.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

I learned the hard way to never take mino on an empty stomach as long as the food is low in iron or calcium.One loses about 10% efficacy but it is worth it not to have blazing pain in the throat and stomach

redrock
    Participant

10%? Hmm, that’s not insignificant. But I seem to have “silent” GERD. I don’t feel it but it’s happening. I suppose the more minimal the accompanying food, the better, for efficacy sake.

Spiffy1

How do you know if you have GERD if it is silent? I worry about this a little bit because I have to make myself drink a fair amount of water when I take my minocyclene. I take it in on an empty stomach and don’t eat for about two or three hours or more usually. I feel no repercussions from doing it this way but am scared maybe I am doing damage and don’t know it.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

redrock
    Participant

I had a routine colonoscopy and endoscopy. The doctor came in after and said I had GERD and was going to be biopsied for possible Barrett’s. She asked if I had heartburn and I said occasionally, nothing special. But apparently the damage to my esophagus was much worse than I knew.

PhilC
    Participant

“When minocycline hydrochloride capsules were given concomitantly with a high-fat meal, which included dairy products, the extent of absorption of minocycline hydrochloride capsules was unchanged compared to dosing under fasting conditions. The mean Tmax was delayed by one hour when administered with food, compared to dosing under fasting conditions. Minocycline hydrochloride capsules may be administered with or without food.”

Source:
    https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=25acb785-6838-4e62-9e86-ddc30b2b759a

It’s probably not a coincidence that they chose a high-fat meal. There’s a strong likelihood that the fat helps facilitate minocycline absorption.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

So it sounds like we don’t have to separate from dairy? Because I’d really like to have regular milk in my coffee!

PhilC
    Participant

So it sounds like we don’t have to separate from dairy?

A little bit of milk is probably okay, especially if it’s part of a large meal. However, to be on the safe side, I would avoid it. By the way, things like almond milk and soy milk must also be avoided because they are usually fortified with calcium. I thought I should mention that because some people may be using them in place of milk or cream.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

Interesting. I have been using almond milk in my coffee for the past three years with my mino. Grrrr. There’s not enough hours in the day to separate everything.

redrock
    Participant

Well I just looked at my carton of almond milk and it says “30% more calcium than dairy milk.” Ooof! I guess my morning dose has been pretty much useless for the past three years? It tastes awful anyway and I would have been better off with regular milk.

Anyone have a suggestion for lightening up morning coffee without weakening our mino at all?

Luck20
    Participant

I read something the other day about calcium mixed in with other foods and binding with the other foods and not so much with the antibiotics. I think it might have been in the book ‘Arthritis and Autoimmune Disease’ listed on the rbf book list. If I find the spot again, I’ll update.

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

PhilC
    Participant

Anyone have a suggestion for lightening up morning coffee without weakening our mino at all?

Try adding a little honey. I drink my coffee black now, but in the past I tried adding honey a few times and it was quite good.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.