Home Forums General Discussion Mino Dosage

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi All πŸ™‚

I have been taking 100mg Acnamino seven days a week. I had intended to up to 100mg BID x 7 (Dr S guidance) but have decided not to at the moment. Too many other things changing…

My question is – I would like to take 200mg mino x 3 days. Is it okay to take the 200mg all at once?? I have so many other supplements to take (and obviously eat too much!!!) that it is proving rather difficult to fit in 100mg x 2, if that makes sense 😳

Thanks in advance.

Love Patricia x

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patricia,
    @Patricia.Ann wrote:

My question is – I would like to take 200mg mino x 3 days. Is it okay to take the 200mg all at once?? I have so many other supplements to take (and obviously eat too much!!!) that it is proving rather difficult to fit in 100mg x 2, if that makes sense 😳

Yes, I believe you can. Although I haven’t tried that with mino, I’ve done it with doxy. However, you may not be able to jump straight to it. Taking 200 mg of mino at once will hit the bugs hard, and you may not like how that makes you feel. If I were in your situation, I would stay on 100 mg of mino per day, except for Mondays and Fridays, when I would take 200 mg of mino once a day. After one month, if I am tolerating that well, I would increase the dose to 200 mg MWF and 100 mg on all other days. I would stay on that dose for at least a month, though probably longer. It all depends on how I feel. And since the ultimate goal is to be taking 200 mg every day, I would most likely not drop the dose to 200 mg MWF.

The truth is that I will probably end up doing exactly that within the next year or two. Well, maybe not exactly. In another post I mentioned that I prefer my mino prescriptions be filled with 50 mg tablets because it makes it much easier to adjust my dose. So, rather than start out at 200 mg MF, I’ll probably start off at 150 mg instead.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Ah Phil thankyou – you are a good help to me πŸ™‚ That sounds like a plan and I will give it a try, see how I get along…

I am really trying hard to hold off taking the biologics. I know my rheumatologist will try and persuade me shortly. Still have so much pain and swelling eights months after starting AP πŸ™ I know from my other postings that this could well be because I am still on steroids but I can’t get off them, even though I am reducing, cos I have so much pain – yikes! Hopefully upping the mino will help – but carefully does it. To be honest I haven’t felt any herxing or adverse affects from the mino since the day I started!!!

Will have to adjust my probiotics if I am upping the dose. How many do you think you will take when you are starting the higher doses of mino Phil?? I take prescript assist x 1 daily and PB8 for life x 1 daily at the moment. I was thinking of upping the PB8 to 2 x daily anyway for my dose now but will obviously need to up even more for a higher dose of mino.

I hope all goes well for you Phil with your mino dosing schedule and that you reach remission. Now wouldn’t that be good πŸ˜€

Take great care.

Patricia x

Johnlombard
    Participant

Thirty years ago, at 19, when i was first diagnosed with RA, I was given 10 mgs prednisone to take every day. I know that this horrible drug just destroyed me. I can’t believe that doctors still administer it. Any long-term use of steroids causes a toxic, acidic state that robs the body of minerals. To get off of prednisone, slowly, I recommend doing as much as you can to buffer the acid state with (some) oral minerals, but mostly with TONS of green leafy vegetables and fresh fruit. Smoothies are best as you can easily get a lot of alkalinity in your system that way.
    Good luck,
    john lombard
    53-year-old arthritic from san Diego

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi John,

Just wrote a lovely long post and lost it all – yikes!!! Thank you so much for replying. That is so lovely of you and I really appreciate it. Your previous post and this ones shows you have researched RA and what we can do to help ourselves extensively. I was sad to read that your RA progressed so rapidly and that at a young age you were in a wheelchair. Life just isn’t fair is it??

I wholeheartedly agree that Prednisolone is indeed tricky to get off. I was put on 30mg daily two years ago and I have spent the last year and a half decreasing. I am now down to 7.5mg daily but the pain is definitely greater with more swelling. I have tried two Dmards but both caused awful side effects and I had to stop taking them. Then I found AP and the wonderful people here all supporting each other. Unfortunately, at the moment, AP doesn’t seem to be having much of an effect but I do believe, after discussion on here, it is because I am taking the steroids and my body is in such a toxic state it can’t heal. I can’t stop taking them though until my pain subsides!!! I am so frightened of the biologics – did you ever take them??

I love juices and smoothies. Of course, I love the fruit ones the best because they are sweet but I will definitely try to focus on the green smoothies and get the juicer out from the back of the cupboard!!! I have been looking into the alkaline diet. Someone on here mentioned a site called the Alkaline Sisters. It is a fab site. What minerals have you found to be particularly beneficial John?? I have been seeing a naturopath but sadly he has given me something different everytime I go and I haven’t seen any benefit either. Am going to have to find someone else….

You may be interested in this link below. One of our wonderful volunteers Maz listed down all her detox methods and it may be something you are interested in – or perhaps even know already…

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=301

I am truly grateful for your reply John and hope that you keep visiting the board regularly. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take great care.

Patricia x

Johnlombard
    Participant

Dear Patricia,
    In the gospel of Mark there is the story of a woman who had suffered much. But she persevered and was healed…
    Your heart reminds me of hers.
    I know you will find your healing too.
    I weaned myself off of prednisone at 25. It took me two years…it was so hard.
    i think just a simple mineral supplement (anything) might help. I know it helped me back then,
    but i also think that with mineral supp there is a risk of minerals depositing in the joints and arteries.
    Far better if the mins are transported with a life force.
    Spinach leaves, parsley, celery and esp KALE are your big four. Powerful alkline healers.
    I could never eat this stuff, but ground up in a smoothie, with frozen fruit, i hardly taste it
    i don’t juice. Waaaay too much work. But i luv making smoothies in my $15 blender as i find it to
    Be so easy. I can feel my body absorbing the nutruents like a sponge. I buy organic frozen
    Fruits at a health food store called Trader Joe’s here in san diego.
    Oh yes, i also recommend add almonds and or walnuts – Both non acidic and loaded with bone builders.
    Also, i recomnend: take boron chelate. 6 mgs per day. It is a powerful natural antimicrobial
    Does amazing things to help the body to integrate bone. Google
    ” boron arthritis.” It has helped me so much…
    Finally, re: biologics. I think they could def help, but i hate
    this aproach as it only addresses symptoms.
    I believe that with my disease, my immune system gas not gone awry,
    It is just attacking an invader that it cannot conquer.
    (mycoplasma?) It makes sense to me to do everything we can to
    help the body fight the invader, not shut the body down.
    This is where AP makes so much sense to me.
    That’s all for now.
    I am sorry for all your suffering…
    There are answers and there ua hope.
    Luv, john

It has helped me so much….
    Finally, re: biologics.

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi John,

What a well thought out and kind reply – thank you πŸ™‚

It is obvious to me your suffering from a young age has given you a great empathy for people. No bitterness – and there could have been. That is refreshing and a wonderful human quality. You have come to the right place here. Everyone is so kind and helpful.

I think I know the scripture you are referring to John. We have to believe we will be better, just like the woman in Mark, and try everything we can to do so. A positive heart goes a long way I think πŸ™‚ I was once a carer for my mum who had Alzheimers, and I said to myself then, if I ever needed caring for in any way I was going to try really hard to be a happy ‘patient’. Not always easy and I don’t always manage it but I am soooo grateful that I am ‘functioning’ again, although I am nowhere near the person I once once!!! Btw my favourite scripture is Revelation 21:3,4 – no more sorrow, no more pain.

I admire your strength getting off the steroids. I well understand the difficulty. It is certainly not easy at all. You must have felt a great deal of satisfaction when you were at zero. I think the Docs when they give us pred are really trying to help us. When I was prescribed it I was so very poorly and was more than grateful to take it. Where the med profession go wrong perhaps is they leave us on it for far too long and the damage starts to occur.

I will definitely look into the minerals. Think I will look to see if I can get a liquid vitamin/mineral supplement. I have read that Kale is so good for us. I haven’t ever tasted it but I am more than willing to give it a go. I have some recipes for green smoothies which include Kale, parsley, celery and spinach so will get onto that before the weekend. Sounds good to mix it with something sweeter – for my tastebuds – lol. I love nuts too so almonds and walnuts will be no problem. Thank you for this brilliant info. My next focus was to be on diet so this is all really helpful to me.

I have read your other post about the Boron and it does sound amazing. I will google and find out as much about it as I can. My next supplement by the look of it. Over the last few days I have also been looking at Vitamin K2. Apparently this vitamin is brilliant for promoting bone and cardiovascular health. Fantastic for me and anyone like me with osteopenia/osteoporosis (caused by the steroids no doubt). Of course, lack of exercise isn’t good for my cardiovascular system, and furred up arteries are here no doubt for me, so K2 sounds like another supplement that may be good to look into for a few of us.

It does make sense that our immune system is fighting something it can’t win at the moment. The drugs that shut it down too much (biologics etc) can cause so many extra problems. I will try everything I can before going onto them…

We have a wonderful volunteer Doc that we can email. He is also very kind. Dr S from Iowa. The volunteers would give you his email address if you needed any advice about AP πŸ˜‰

I truly appreciate your positive and supportive post John.

Take great care and keep in touch to let us know how you are getting along.

Love Patricia x

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patricia,
    @Patricia.Ann wrote:

Will have to adjust my probiotics if I am upping the dose. How many do you think you will take when you are starting the higher doses of mino Phil?? I take prescript assist x 1 daily and PB8 for life x 1 daily at the moment. I was thinking of upping the PB8 to 2 x daily anyway for my dose now but will obviously need to up even more for a higher dose of mino.

That sounds like a plan. Consider also adding Saccharomyces boulardii, which is a species of “friendly” yeast. It’s a good probiotic to take because it should be resistant to most antibiotics. I take Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS (Jarrow Formulas brand).

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Awww thanks Phil. A good mix of probiotics is absolutely essential so your ‘advice’ is gratefully received :

Have you had RA for a long time Phil? You must be a great researcher cos you have a boatload of knowledge – and so kindly share that knowledge. I hope I will be able to do the same one day πŸ™‚

Take care.

Patricia x

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patricia,
    @Patricia.Ann wrote:

Have you had RA for a long time Phil?

My symptoms started in August of 1989. I was never officially diagnosed with anything, though, partly because my bloodwork was almost normal. I think I might have had slightly elevated bilirubin and WBCs, and that’s about it. Fortunately, I was about 90% better within about six months, and at least 99% better within two years. My recovery was achieved using natural methods plus a low-dose NSAID to keep a lid on the pain.

I am actually taking antibiotics for other reasons and not any kind of arthritis (except, perhaps, indirectly). Back in 2009 I started taking doxycycline for an infection, and based on my reaction to the doxy I realized that I’ve probably had a chronic infection of some kind for years, possibly Lyme Disease. Also, looking back, I now realize that I had mild CFS symptoms for years. So even though the joint and muscle pain were long gone, apparently the bacteria have been there all along. Perhaps my immune system was doing a half-decent job of keeping them under control, which is why I felt close enough to normal that I didn’t realize there was a problem.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

RavensNest
    Participant

Hi I am new to the site and on my first week of LDN and mino. I started my symptoms a little over 2 months ago. The conventional medicines scared me because of the side effects so i kept looking and found Roadback and was referred to a doctor. I was told to take Mino twice a day for three days a week, Mon, Wed and Friday. Doctor prefers this, says double punch hits hard. After 2 days of treatment I was pain free. Finger and toe still swollen but pain free for first time in 2 months. Unfortunately the mino just turns me into a zombie. I’m dizzy, lethargic and all I can do is sit on couch. I asked doctor for alternative, he said to stick with it. I’m 61 and take care of my 2 yr old granddaughter so I can’t be a vegetable around her. Any suggestions? Thank you

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi Phil πŸ™‚

Lovely to hear the background to your journey and just fantastic that you are now well, managing to do this with natural methods. That must feel soooo good. It gives me hope!!! The nice thing is you are always so very willing to help us on here and I would like to thank you for that πŸ˜€

Take great care

Patricia x

Hi RavensNest,

Nice to ‘meet you’. I haven’t had these experiences with mino but I do know some people really suffer with the Herx reaction when they start taking it and this may be what is happening?? It is great news that you are pain free so very quickly. I am still not nine months down the line!!!

I know from reading the posts on here some people have to start off very, very slowly with the mino. I started taking only 50mg MF and then after a few weeks 50mgMWF eventually building up over several months to 200mgMWF. Perhaps the dosage is a bit too much for you at the moment??

Detoxing is also really important. There is a list of detoxing methods including in the link below, from one of our fab volunteers Maz.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=301

Hope this helps. Take care.

Patricia x

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @RavensNest wrote:

Unfortunately the mino just turns me into a zombie. I’m dizzy, lethargic and all I can do is sit on couch. I asked doctor for alternative, he said to stick with it. I’m 61 and take care of my 2 yr old granddaughter so I can’t be a vegetable around her. Any suggestions?

How do you usually feel in the morning, before you take any minocycline?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

RavensNest
    Participant

I felt good in the mornings for the two days I was pain-free. Then the pain returned with a vengeance and is still with me. My BP is high and has been since my first visit to AB doctor. He gave me a beta blocker but that just causes my heart to race and my anxiety to escalate. Yesterday I took a Mino at 4 pm and this morning at 4 am. Other than pain, I seem to be tolerating it well today. No beta blocker today just regular BP medication. I stopped all joint supplements I was taking prior to going to AB Dr. Thank you for your comments.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.