Home Forums General Discussion Mepron/LDN

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eileen
    Participant

I made it through the third day of Mepron but needed to stop. Head pain, not headache, and intestinal issues that kept me close to home that I’ve worked so hard to get rid of the past two years. I just couldn’t risk the gut stuff again. It was 10 yrs. of diarrhea. Still awaiting babesia smear. Started LDN three nights ago, and not sleeping, but no vivid dreams this time around. That’s a good thing. How long does it usually take to notice if LDN is of benefit?

Can anyone share some LDN successes or otherwise?

Thanks to all of you,
    Eileen

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Eileen,

Really sorry to hear you had to stop your Mepron. The head pain was an early symptom of mine, too, and lasted for about 2 months at the beginning of Mepron treatment, in addition to hot flashes and night sweats. Both passed after this period and I was quite surprised that the migraines and sweats I’d attibuted to hormones were actually Lyme-related. Usually, Mepron is prescribed with a macolide abx, like azithromycin or clarithromycin as Mepron tends to build up resistance fairly quickly. I didn’t get the trots with the Mepron and just increased my probiotics while on it. Sorry to hear you had this problem. 🙁

What LDN dose did you start with? Lymies tend to be a bit reactive to LDN. For me, it induced tremors when waking at night a couple hours after the dose and I never did get over the insomnia it produced. I’ve given it a break for now. As its purpose is to boost endorphin production and, by default, improve immune function, some folk will find themselves herxing. I herxed about two weeks in, which is pretty standard for Lyme, but I have heard of others going through worsening up to and around 6 weeks, too. I can’t say I experienced much benefit on the LDN as I didn’t get any distinct improvements I could reall attribute to the LDN while on it. I also took Berkson’s recommended ALA.

nspiker
    Participant

Eileen,

I too am sorry you have had to back off of Mepron. I didn’t have any immediate side-effects, and found it cleared many symptoms. Are you taking ample fat with your Mepron. That is the only time I have had any issues, is when I haven’t eaten enough. I now use it as my excuse, since I NEED to consume 23 grams of fat in the am and pm 😀 . Maybe, start back on a lower dose of Mepron, and work up to the prescribed amount?

I’ve been on LDN and ALA for about six months. I don’t have concrete evidence of it’s benefits, I just feel better. It sounds weird, but I feel like it boosts my immune system. I feel the same way about Vit. D. I always feel better when I take it. It’s hard for me to pinpoint what specifically contributed to my recovery, because as you know, when you’re taking so much with lyme treatment, it all becomes a blur. I just know that you have to stick with it, because it works…

nancy

vera
    Participant

Hi Eileen,

I’m responding to your request for LDN experiences. Not every one benefits from LDN, it’s truly an individual thing. But, I have read it can take 18 months for LDN to begin working.

I’ve been on LDN since Feb. 2009, and noticed benefit after the first dose (taken the night before). It wasn’t pain relief to begin with, it was an incredible feeling of calm. I suspect it was due to the “calming” down of my thyroid (Hashimoto’s). I’ve read about thyroid “storms” and boy, that was me. Now that I’ve had to go back on Enbrel – unfortunately, for the PsA pain – I’m losing some of that calmness, but it still helps.

Secondly, with AS, it has helped incredibly with neck and back pain. Unfortunately, it hasn’t helped that much with PsA, but am guessing if I went off LDN I’d know in a hurry! The first evidence (outside my own feelings) was a trip to the chiropractor. He didn’t know I was taking LDN, and he couldn’t believe how much softer my neck/shoulder area was. He said that area was always as hard as the wall. So, it definitely helps with muscle tightness in my experience.

It does, however, interfere with my sleep – particularly the dreaming – I don’t like that. But, for me I put up with it because of the relief in those other areas.

Hope you have good success!

Lori

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.