Home Forums General Discussion Measles Inoculation

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ali
    Participant

With the recent outbreak of Measles I have looked at some websites and the latest update on Vaccines in Autoimmune Patients in the link below states those on immunosuppressive drugs are at risk….

https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/acrsota/79087?pop=0&ba=1&xid=fb-md-conf&trw=no&scrf=1

The other link from a Dr Bingham states – it is recommended that a three- to six-month delay take place between the end of drug-related immune deficiency and the administering of live virus vaccines. They also noted that there is no contraindication in administering live virus in patients who are receiving systemic corticosteroids for less than two weeks or at a daily dose that does not exceed 10 mg of prednisone if the latter is long-term treatment.
    Website –
    https://www.the-rheumatologist.org/article/immunizations-and-autoimmune-disease/

Live viral vaccines are contraindicated in people taking highly immunosuppressive therapy, including bDMARDs or tsDMARDs, or high-dose corticosteroids – https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccination-for-special-risk-groups/vaccination-for-people-who-are-immunocompromised

I phoned my rheumatologist and he said as I have been off methotrexate and corticosteroids I should be okay to get the measles inoculation.

I just want to know if anyone else has had this inoculation? Did you have side effects as some are suggested to erupt.

Alison

Spiffy1

I was caught up on vaccines as a child. I wonder how long immunity lasts? I know I got the mumps after having the MMR any way. At this point in my health journey I will probably just take my chances and hope for the best. My body is so weird and reactive I have no doubt I would have side effects from the vaccine. My dad had awful side effects from the Shingles vaccine and even though all of his doctors said that it was not the vaccine they also told him to never have another one to include the flu vaccine which is a major statement seeing that he had pulmonary hypertension. My daughter had a bad reaction to the chicken pox vaccine. I think our genetics are just not cut out for the adjuvants and the stimulation. Most people probably would do just fine. But my family history has spoken pretty loudly. Let us know what you find out. It is scary.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Spiffy1

I just looked it up and it said that adults that had gotten the two doses as a child are covered for life and do not need another one. Of course this is only one website. There may be differences of opinion.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin

jasregadoo

I’ve been thinking about this…I know I had mumps and chickenpox as a child, and I THINK I had the measles vaccine, but I am not positive. Thinking I may ask my doctor next time I see him.

Suzanne
    Participant

Your doctor can do bloodwork to check your immunity before possibly repeating the vaccine.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

I have been so uncertain regarding receiving vaccination now that I know my immune system is very weak and doesnt function properly.

We have a raging, national record-breaking Hepatitis A outbreak currently in my area (Detroit, Michigan). It was even a feature article in this month’s popular science. As such, last year I opted for the 2-part Hep A vaccine. Took first part in early summer and the 2nd part at the end of the year. Dragged everyone in my house to the pharmacy to get them the vaccine also.

Everything went downhill for me around that time after i got the 2nd shot – but thats just 1 of a million possible factors that happened. Still seemed wiser than possibly getting full blown Hep A.

I really believe in the importance of immunizations, but with a compromised immune system, I am now a lot more wary and honestly don’t know what to think anymore.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Spiffy1

I feel the same. I wish we could single our those that should not have them by checking everyone’s HLA pattern at birth. I think most people’s immune system can take them but I am wary of anything medical at this point because of my crazy issues. My daughter was able to opt out of Hep A from her school vaccine because she had an awful reaction to her second varicella shot. But in reading about Hep A it appears that it usually causes mild to no reaction in many individuals or a bad stomach flu type reaction in others but that it rarely left long term complications. Is this so? What have you seen in Michigan as far as long term consequences? I will have to decide again in two years whether to vaccinate her for the school system.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.