Home Forums General Discussion male college athlete no symtpoms elv RNP

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

My son is a college athlete with no symptoms really. Found high ANA and elevated RNP (2) during routine dermo blood test a couple of weeks ago and I think Rhumy is about to suggest small dose of immuno drugs to get ahead of this thing?? i have been reading a lot on this site and I am so very interested in this antibiotic protocal for him. Anyone else have such a story? How do you get Rhumy to consider the AP without sounding like you know more than the Dr?
    I have a thought here, is it possible the dermo antibiotic he was taking for his acne was protecting him from symptoms!

gordbentley
    Participant

he was already on minocycline?? Ive been off the mino for almost a year now. I only take it if I have a flare and im normal again within like 2 days max. maybe you could just ask the dermatologist to keep giving him mino and screw the rheumy altogether. i went to a rheumy who wanted me off mino asap and wanted me to take methotrexate instead. why the hell would I stop taking something that worked???? and why would I take metho if I was in a more or less steady remission?? doctors are stupid 😛

Anonymous
    Participant

just talked to my wife and she said our son was on low does of solodyne, but for a short period and he didnt take it very often over a 2 or 3 month period so maybe that didnt make a difference. Regardless, as a parent of 200 lb athlete that appears to be healthy i want nothing to do with starting him on immuno drugs. The Rhumy says common for symptoms to set in anytime in the first 2 to 4 years of labs confirming something which I assume is probably MCTD or Lupus. He said with no symptoms, hard to say what just using labs, but he made it sound like the storm was on the horizon which scared the h-ll out of all of us.

BG
    Participant

Minocycline is classified as a Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drug (DMARD) so you would not be out of line requesting to try it first before moving on to other drugs. Because lupus may be a part of your son’s problem, doxycycline might be a better choice because it isn’t known to cause drug-induced lupus whereas minocycline does cause drug-induced lupus in those susceptible. Both are tetracycline drugs but doxycycline has a different chemical structure so it doesn’t cause as many hypersensitivity problems as minocycline.

ANA and anti-RNP are not routine blood tests so I suspect your son and or his doctor know more than they are sharing. It is important to get this under control ASAP. One can take minocyline or doxycycline along with small doses of immunosuppressants and then when things have calmed down, slowly taper off the immunosuppressants.

Best wishes,
    Barb

PhilC
    Participant

@braxton1 wrote:

just talked to my wife and she said our son was on low does of solodyne, but for a short period and he didnt take it very often over a 2 or 3 month period so maybe that didnt make a difference.

How long ago was your son on Solodyne?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

on and off for a couple months. it was ruled out at as a cause of the elevated ANA test somehow by Rhumy, but that did come up. My son said he had a 1 month dose that took almost took 3 month to take on and off and admitted he would not take it for days at a time. in our case the reason he was even tested for ANA was because of taking the solodyne and the dermo does these tests as a routine screening because they were about to renew his script. Once the ANA came back positive, the next set of tests found the elevated RNP. No other tests came back unusual and there was a bunch of them. my son is clueless on what is really going on other than his athletic career is on hold, but he feels good and has been trainng hard. i am afraid any introduction of immuno drugs will put an end to sports and probably mess up his head when it comes to keeping his head down when it comes to his studies and puts his health at risk for future complications. i am hoping we have some time to explore the AP therapy and find an expert Dr. to work with before we jump into steroids or immuno drugs. i plan on asking Rhumy today about the AP when we see him.

Valsmum
    Participant

All medications have side effects, I would get a second opinion if he looks well. That is just my opinion though.

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hello, braxton1:

I would really be interested in genetic tissue typing for Your son:

These are just some risk factors (alone they do not mean very much) that could be considered:

HLA B27, HLA B60, HLA B39, HLA B7CREG: Ankylosing Spondylitis
    HLA DR1, HLA DR4: Rheumatoid Arthritis
    HLA DR2, HLA DR3: SLE (Lupus)
    HLA B51: Behcet’s Disease

There are several conditions that can cause RNP increase and sometimes it is transient. You might be able, with this information, to find a “genetic counselor” who can help with a diagnostic referral.

You are very right to be concerned about immunosuppressive agents! However, no average rheumatologist will consider abx; a good reference from this site will help find someone in Your area.

Best Regards,
    John

Anonymous
    Participant

thanks for the suggestions. i will research the genetic typing.

PhilC
    Participant

Was your son tested to rule out drug-induced lupus? Minocycline can cause drug-induced lupus erythematosus (DILE), so perhaps his abnormal blood work is due to the minocycline he was taking.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

gordbentley
    Participant

My question is… if your son feels healthy then why the hell is he taking drugs period? take him off the drugs and ensure he eats a healthy diet with no preservatives and other crap. take him off the meds and the western diet. see what happens I’m sure things will turn around. Doctors are f#$^#$ in the head if you ask me. keep the doxy or mino option on standby if things begin to flare up and ensure he starts treatment immediately if things get worse. by the sounds of it if he feels healthy then he is. just make sure he gets a checkup on the regular and make sure he doesnt stress out. stress is probably the reason for 90% of the people who are sick on here anyways. I was really stressed right before I got sick and a huge part of my successful treatment plan was stress management. the only thing I suffer from now is restless leg syndrome if I drink to much coffee or alcohol. don’t ruin the kids life I went from being sick to getting a job on my local fire department so wellness is entirely possible if he just watches his lifestyle and his stress 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.