Home Forums General Discussion Macrolide antibiotics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Davit
    Participant

Since Minocin may no longer be available has anyone had success using the macrolides long term. The other alternative is doxicycline. I tried it once but can’t remember the result since Minocin worked so well. Macrolides seem to be recomended more for Pneumonia.
    I also wonder about other antibiotics that kill gram positive by protein starvation. Mycoplasma survive by consuming proteins other cells need often invading the host cell and causing the loss of both to the antibiotic. (herx)

Davit

richie
    Participant

Is generic Solodyn available available in Canada ???? That is minocycline marketed toward acne —
    richie

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hey Davit;
    So nice to see you back here,I really missed you.Teva mino works just fine for me,can you get it up there?

Davit
    Participant

Hello Lynne

I don’t know, I’ll look into it.

Davit.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Davit,

Since you’ve been on Minocin for a very long time, perhaps it’s time to consider more aggressive antibiotic therapy. Instead of just suppressing the “bugs,” perhaps it would be better to hit them with several antibiotics and try to kill them off.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

cavalier
    Participant

Dr S has me on zithromax 250 mg’s but it was not enuf for me due to the SD being in my digestion now so we upped that to 500 mg’s but he is also having me add in minocycline on the off days I am not on the Zithromax which I am on the Zith – MWF only. the other days i use the Minocin twice a day. but I do Penicillin 4 days apart twice a week also for Lyme so on those 2 days I dont take the mino, I take Plaquenil twice a day every day to bust the cysts from the lyme & the penicllin is for the lyme – since upping the Zith which I tried to see if I could help my stomach – which it did is what caused me to ask Dr S. if he would consider upping my prescript. he agreed that my SD was causing absorption issues. Adding in the mino again I asked him about & he was fully supportive. I am doing a bit better since upping my game plan but have been really sick with a bad cold virus.

Hope this is of help – as to the macrolide ABX. I have SD not sure if you have the same.

Best – Jill SD & Lyme & CPn

Davit
    Participant

Cavalier

Nah. I just have chronic infections one of which is Micoplasma, the other major is staph which I seem to have got rid of again. It will come back since it hides well in my artificial knees where most antibiotics can’t get to. I’m 62 so I have lots of damage. Most of my pain is from bone on bone. I take minocin to control any bacteria that might get away while my Immune system is fighting something else. It helps little to be in remission if the joints are all wore out. Still I think I’m better off than you with SD etc. I’m sorry to say. Better the devil you know I guess. I am in a bit worse shape since I can’t take any Nsaids anymore. A perforated ulcer is no fun in some one prone to infection. I guess I’m just glad to be alive, it makes it all more tolerable.
    So I’m looking for something to replace the Minocin until some company picks up the patent and it is possibly available again.
    Or I find something that works as well. Generics have done nothing for me in the past.
    Actually if I had some cartilage left in my ankles I would be a lot better. I’m not a candidate for any future operations.

I hope the increase works for you. I find this all such a juggling act with little direction.

Davit

PS I have not had a cold or the flu for twenty four years, ever since getting Arthritis. I don’t get flu shots and don’t have a spleen.

richie
    Participant

Solodyn ER is made by Wellspring Canada for Medicis –it is readily available in Canada —
    richie

cavalier
    Participant

Davit sorry darn cold has me out of it I missed that you have RA – here is a thought for you since you mentioned artificial knees we have something in common I have a artificial disc -why this is relevant is while we needed them there is a risk being seen now with articificial implants stents caths, etc that these contribute to autoimmune like or Rheumatic diseases due to these allow biofilms to exist. I posted some links about this recently. I have a friend who like me has a artificial disc who after this procedure got sicker who finally found his mycoplasma’s it was Pnemonie that’s not the correct spelling but my brain is gone at the moment but you get the idea. Anyways he continued to get sicker as one doc found it in testing but ignored it saying he does not treat these types of things he persisted & finally get retested & his was high. He has found others who have had these types of things & he sought out like me many doc’s in his case 40 of em who would not give AP for this. He finally did AP for a couple of years & then went on to change his diet but i digress the mention you made of your artificial knees. If you have a biofilm while no doubt Mino and doxy have a place if you can find a doc who recognizes biofilms he or she may add more to your AP protocol to get after this. Just a idea take a look at the post I put up about this.
    RA is still serious stuff with heart & joints at risk none of this is stuff to take lightly as the damage can be significant over time.
    Best – Jill

cavalier
    Participant

Davit this is the subject to take a look at these links in quotes . It’s been proven that our devices can introduce the biofilm on the very material. – “Biofilms some interesting links”

Some folks just continue to get sicker til we start to address this better – biofilms are harder for AP to get thru & it has to be more of a multiple affect. I am not far behind you age wise & I have been bone on bone for a long time now I was told 10 yr’s ago to replace both my knees with artificial as I was bone on bone back then I have refused. I just felt no I had one artificial already holding my spine together – never knew about biofilms but I def. got sicker after mine of course then running into affected ticks building my house here didn’t help matters any but now i know why I cant fight things well.

It is a juggling act for sure,but one we are in the midst of & will pay for it if we dont try to help ourselves as best as we can.

Jill SD Lyme & CPn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.