Home Forums General Discussion lyme treatment for a 5 year old

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Trudi
    Participant

[user=287]Patti D[/user] wrote:

The name of your doctor & address I gave away too to the man with lyme. Can you PM his name & number again. So sorry but I try to pass on all of the stuff I can and then of course when I need the information again, It is already gone.

Hi Patti–

I just sent you a pm.  Because I was asked so often for my doctors' info, I have it in a word document and just copy and paste into the email.  No problem at all–

As I emailed you, Marshfield Clinic is also a possibility.  They get high recommendations from relatives up north.

Stay warm,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Patti D
    Participant

Thank Maz & Trudi for the help with the lyme literate doctor. I talked with my neighbor and her niece the 5 year old with lyme tested positive on all 10 bands of the western blot for lyme. Her family doctor thought her “toxic synovitis was caused by the lyme but refuses to put her on any more that 3 weeks of amoxicillin. So ladies, thanks to you I have a list of where she can go for a lyme literate doctor who can hopefully treat her soon.
    Her sed rate was 80 last week and has now dropped to 40, still so high. The family is now checking everyone for lyme and will be very vigilant about getting the right treatment for their daughter.
    Thank you everyone. Hopefully they got this soon enough so she has no residual effects from that nasty tick!

Gratefully,
    Patti

Trudi
    Participant

I talked with my neighbor and her niece the 5 year old with lyme tested positive on all 10 bands of the western blot for lyme.

Wow, that's what I call super positive!!  Very disheartening that the doctor isn't more informed about the treatment protocol.🙁

Hopefully they got this soon enough so she has no residual effects from that nasty tick!

That's for sure!!  She does have age on her side.  I just hope she tolerates her treatment well. 

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

Her family doctor thought her “toxic synovitis was caused by the lyme but refuses to put her on any more that 3 weeks of amoxicillin.

Geez, Patti, isn't that kind of ironic? The GP thinks her toxic synovitis was caused by an infection, but refuses to treat beyond the the standard set by the CDC guidelines. Just goes to show how scared docs are to step beyond those restictive guidelines for fear of being hounded and how many patients are suffering as a result. :sick: The poor wee thing couldn't be more positive and, normally, for any other infection in joints the first line is IV antibiotics.

Thank goodness your friend's relatives are doing their homework and seeking appropriate care – refusing to listen to the standard claptrap. I'm with Trudi…let's hope her results will be speedy and she'll be on the mend in no time!

You're such a great person, Patti! Just think how instrumental you've been in helping this family and this little girl, so she has every chance of regaining her young life! YAY for you!!!!! :dude: Your journey has not been easy, but it's incredible to think how purposeful it has all been in so many other ways.

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Ya done good, Patti. 😉 

Once she's in the hands of the right doctor they should be able to get this under control.  Every time we think that the Lyme insanity is lessening we hear another story like this one and it breaks your heart.  Her original doctors very likely could have killed her, and at the very least, condemned her to a life of misery and drugs.  I hope this family has enough strength now to go back and tell them how they blew the diagnosis, big time!

Take care…….kim

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Her family doctor thought her “toxic synovitis was caused by the lyme but refuses to put her on any more that 3 weeks of amoxicillin.

Geez, Patti, isn't that kind of ironic? The GP thinks her toxic synovitis was caused by an infection, but refuses to treat beyond the the standard set by the CDC guidelines. Just goes to show how scared docs are to step beyond those restictive guidelines for fear of being hounded and how many patients are suffering as a result. :sick: The poor wee thing couldn't be more positive and, normally, for any other infection in joints the first line is IV antibiotics.

Agreed – if they believe it is from an infection, it is septic hip; a peds ID dr. would treat with IV abx. 

I also think they could see peds ID faster than an LLMD.  I would make appts. with both.   I would tell the GP to refer us to peds ID, if their opinion is the hip pain is caused by an infection.  That is standard.  Do not let the Lyme controversy get in the way of this – an infection of the hip joint is treated with IV abx.

I think the family should be pushing for the standard of care for septic hip ASAP. 

I think it would have probably been better, in this instance, if the girl had not tested positive for Lyme.  I think they would be moving much faster for a little girl who cannnot walk.  I hope she gets the right treatment soon.   

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ lyme treatment for a 5 year old’ is closed to new replies.