Home Forums General Discussion Lyme & GrapeSEED Extract

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jaminhealth
    Participant

CAUTION on this posting….I was going to delete, but no x button this posting…..so Caution Caution on this herbal antioxidant and any drugs you are taking. I forget so much about the interaction with the drugs….

Ok, I was just chatting with a member of another health group I’m a member of…she deals with Fibro, OA and Lyme and who knows what else…..she’s having a hard time, always has…I’ve given her a lot of info over the years and she’s followed up on some, one being Grape Seed Extract…. but again she deals with Lyme too, I don’t.

So I asked her if she still takes her Grape Seed Ex and she said yes, but not regularly, lax with it.

So out of curosity I did a search: Lyme and Grapeseed Extract

Got a lot of hits including GrapeFRUIT Seed Extract too…which is just an anti viral.

GrapeSEED extract contains all 3 properties: antioxidant/antiviral/antibacterial.

So maybe something to look at and think about for these auto immune conditions…..

I’ve been on Grape Seed Ex 17 yrs….and my immune system has thanked me every day.

On to a new number: 2013…..jam

Maz
    Keymaster

As a precaution, Lyme patients being treated with various classes of antibiotics (sometimes in heavy combinations) should always check with their prescribing physician whether or not a particular botanical may be helpful or harmful when added to their protocol. Some botanicals can potentiate the action of certain antibiotics and some may further inhibit the P450 cytochrome, a major detoxification pathway in the liver, causing liver damage.

http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/31/5/533.long

“With regards to the natural products examined for their ability to induce CYP3A4 in hepatocytes, grapeseed extract, garlic, and kava-kava-enhanced CYP3A4 mRNA accumulation.”

Jamin, you have posted many times on your use of various botanicals, including grapeseed extract. Your information is interesting, but would respectfully request that you please be mindful that this is a forum for patients with rheumatic disease who are choosing antibiotic therapy to treat some very serious “autoimmune” conditions and that some may have to be very careful of what they add to their protocol. Grapeseed extract is believed to thin the blood and while this may be helpful to those who have sticky blood and wish to use herbals to treat this, rather than pharmaceuticals, for those who are already on drugs like heparin and coumadin, this botanical could potentially cause harm. There is no disputing the usefulness of herbal products and many drugs are produced from these (e.g. statins are derived from red yeast rice extract), but most of the Lyme patients here are actually choosing antibiotic therapy and using herbals in an integrative approach, usually upon the advice of their prescribing LLMD.

There are also certain antibiotics that may inhibit the P450 cytochrome, such as macrolides (azithromycin and biaxin) and anti-fungals and, while interactions with such abx have not been studied extensively and interactions can be debated or not, it can be critical in some cases to exercise extreme caution when self-medicating. Physician advice should always be sought when trying anything new, including herbals, which may have all sorts of interactions with pharmaceutical drugs that are as yet unknown.

Please accept this in the spirit in which it is intended – merely a caution to abx users, for whom this forum is designed to provide peer support. Thank you for your understanding, in advance, and a happy and healthy new year to you! 🙂

jaminhealth
    Participant

Maz, delete my post then…if it’s too controversial….

I realize it’s a blood thinner and does keep blood from being sticky, many of script blood thinners can get off their drugs…

But do delete…thanks jam

Maz
    Keymaster

Jamin, that’s okay…not necessary to delete with the cautionary note below it. If you would rather delete it, though, please go ahead. You’ll find you can delete your own posts, I think, by just hitting the little x above your post. You can also edit your own posts by clicking the edit button on the post.

Happy new year to you and yours and hope it brings you renewed health and happiness in 2013!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.