Home Forums General Discussion Lyme and RA test results

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RAinPA
    Participant

I had my Igenex tests done a couple of months back and one of them came back negative, the other came back indeterminable. I went to an LLMD who ordered a CD57 test (to help determine lyme) and also my vitamin D levels, CBC, Sed rate, and rheumatoid factor (I was diagnosed with RA 12/09). I’m kind of confused by the CD57 test, there are two results on the paper. One reads % CD8-/CD57+ Lymphs which was 4.4 and the other is Abs.CD8-CD57+ Lymphs which was 62. Does anyone know what these two levels mean? I received the results yesterday but its usually a few days before the Dr gets a chance to call and go over the results. Interestingly enough my rheumatoid factor was 11.3 and my sed rate was 9. My vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy was low at 25.2, the other vitamin D, 1,25 + 25-Hydroxy was 14.5. I’m not really sure what the vitamin D levels mean either so if anyone could chime in on that too I would definitely appreciate it. My LLMD upped my minocycline from 100mgs MWF to 100mgs 2x daily and also added 500mgs Flagyl daily every other week as well as Samento daily. Since upping the monocycline, I have been able to stop taking prednisone!

Valsmum
    Participant

Congratulations on getting off prednisone that is great news and also tolerating a higher dosage of minocycline is good news too.
    Wish I could help with the lyme info, I have no clue about any of the tests you wrote about. I’m sure someone will chime in and explain it to you. I just wanted to congratulate you on getting off prednisone, good job.

Take care,
    Sheri

nspiker
    Participant

Hi RAinPA,

I’m glad you’re looking in to the lyme possibility. My IGenex IgG and IgM were both negative, and yet I have improved with treatment. These tests are historically inaccurate, and your LLMD is wise to pursue further testing like the CD57 or a 31 epitope through IGenex. Ultimately, my 31 epitope proved positive for lyme.

I’ll try and answer your questions with the “limited” knowledge I have regarding the CD57 and Vitamin D testing. The number you are looking for with the CD57 is the Abs. CD8-CD57 + lymphs, which for you was 62. The CD57 is a subset of Natural Killer Cells. I attended a lyme conference a year ago, and Dr. B gave his interpretation of the CD57. He said that a good range is 120 to 157, with normal being over 180. He said you could consider stopping treatment at this level. His observations were that most lyme patients are in the 20 – 40 range when starting treatment, and if you were in a range from 60 – 120, that was good (for a lymie). My CD57 was around 45, and after treating lyme specifically, it rose to 119. So hope that gives you an idea that you are on the right track.

My understanding is that the test for Vitamin D is the 25-Hydroxy, which you scored 25.2. The normal range is 30-70 (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003569.htm). Your Vitamin D levels are low, which is very common with many people these days. I don’t know if it’s chronic infection, autoimmunity, chronic illness, or our lack of absorption of D3. My rheumatologist put me on 50,000 IU’s of Vitamin D weekly years ago. I will supplement with high doses of Vitamin D when I feel lethargic or low energy. It’s been a fabulous supplement for me. My understanding is that D3 is a more easily absorbed form of Vitamin D, since it comes from an animal source.

Hope that was helpful. I know how difficult it is to wait on all this information, when you just want to get started!
    nancy

RAinPA
    Participant

Thanks Sheri for the congrats…I was very pleased to be able to stop the prednisone as this September would’ve been a year that I started on it again.
    Thanks Nancy for all the info. I still have yet to hear from my Dr so I will probrobly give them a call tomorrow to get his opinion. I will also ask him if I should start taking a vitamin D suppliment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.