Home Forums General Discussion Lump on rib bone

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Grace
    Participant

Hi all,
    Haven’t been writing in lately as things seem to be going ok for my daughter. Doing minocin 100 mg every day for 5 months.Had two painful spots that were not responding well, wrist and knuckle. Got cortisone shot in each one a few weeks ago. All other pain seems to be pretty much under control ๐Ÿ˜€ . But just noticed lump on her lower rib that is painful when she lays on it. Has anyone had lumps on rib cage from ra? And if so do they go away? Searched the site and can’t find anyone else with this problem. Go to the dr in a month. Thanks for any insight.
    Be well!

Maz
    Keymaster

@Grace wrote:

Hi all,
    Haven’t been writing in lately as things seem to be going ok for my daughter. Doing minocin 100 mg every day for 5 months.Had two painful spots that were not responding well, wrist and knuckle. Got cortisone shot in each one a few weeks ago. All other pain seems to be pretty much under control ๐Ÿ˜€ . But just noticed lump on her lower rib that is painful when she lays on it. Has anyone had lumps on rib cage from ra? And if so do they go away? Searched the site and can’t find anyone else with this problem. Go to the dr in a month. Thanks for any insight.
    Be well!

Hi Grace,

The following link describes rheumatoid nodules as well as differential diagnoses for various lumps and bumps. According to most conventional literature, RA nodules tend to occur in places that have been injured, but they can also occur internally, like in the lungs, heart, kidneys, muscles, vocal cords, etc…so pretty much anywhere. However, I don’t think we’ve encountered anyone posting about lumps on the outside of the ribcage. My guess is that it’s possible, but it’s also possible that it’s something like a benign lipoma (fatty lump). The best thing to do is to get a doc to look at it and decide if it needs to be removed or not, especially if it’s causing your daughter discomfort.

http://www.news-medical.net/health/Rheumatoid20Arthritis20Nodules.aspx

I have RA caused by Lyme disease and wound up with lipomas on the outside of my ankles. They aren’t anything of concern and I just had them removed. Funny thing was, I always thought it must be ankle swelling due to the RA, but my ankles never hurt, so it was kind of weird. When I had the lumps removed, I was happy to hear they were nothing but fatty lumps. Upon doing a bit more research, though, I also discovered that this white/yellow-ish fatty material is also found in Lyme knees by surgeons doing knee replacements. Sometimes they stop the surgery, thinking it is some type of infection, but the material is found to be – paradoxically – sterile. Of course, don’t know if this is what your daughter may have or not, but just thought to mention it in case it may be of some value in your searches for her. I have a link to this info, if you do find this is the case.

How great your daughter is doing so well otherwise on AP, Grace! Thank you for checking in and please let us know when she is in full remission. Newcomers here get so much hope from hearing posts like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Grace
    Participant

Thanks Maz,
    Hate to think its Another problem, but also hope it’s not the ra. ๐Ÿ˜ especially since she is doing so well after being diagnosed in November with very aggressive ra.( ccp and Ana were off the charts!) started minocin December 29 of last year after much pain and swelling. Took that long to find receptive dr. Diet change and supplements also had huge impact – for her. Almost at the six month mark so our fingers are crossed. We will post progress as it comes!
    Best to all!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.