Home Forums General Discussion Lp-Pla2 Test Does Anybody Know Anything about this?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lizz
    Participant

Hi to all, been on this board for many years now, but haven’t commented lately. In Dec. 11, I started the Wiley Protocol for hormones and at one point got my sed rate to normal and CRP trending way down. However in the last six months, despite no changes, my sed rate and CRP have shot up, but no where near the level I had when I was really sick. I am still anemic, I don’t kid myself I have active disease. I have not been on AP for almost a year, primarily because I can’t get it. I have been doing gut healing and hormones, have gained 10 much needed pounds, and overall feel alot better.
    Recent bloodwork reveals stellar cholesterol, total 167, LDL 73, HDL 80, triglicerides 69. This was a non-fasting test, so the levels are probably better.
    However my lipid/plaque levels are sky high, indicating high stroke risk. I’m surprised at this as I have low blood pressure and clean cartoid arteries per a sonogram. Does anybody knows what I should do about this? I eat a very clean diet and no transfats. My N.D. wasn’t too exicted to see this, she told me as a precaution to start baby aspirin. I was thinking systemic enzymes might help. Does anybody have any ideas or should I get RX plaque medication? I need to update my signature line, but for now its:

RA dx 2008, plaquinil 2xday, 2 mg prednisone a day, 1 baby aspirin, 3mg mobic, Fish Oil, co-enzyme Q-10, probiotics.

I would appreciate any advice. The only pain I have is in my knees which according to x-ray is osteoarthritis. I can’t really worry about them right now, just don’t want to have a stroke. Thanks all, Lizz

cavalier
    Participant

Hi Lizz – I maybe missing something in your post so forgive me – but I am not clear if you have had the PLAC2 test or if you are considering this due to other inflammatory markers being raised.

I had to ask for this test to be run by my cardio it came from 2 centers who did this test – part of it went to Cleveland Clinic & part of the test went to Harvard. Mine is raised is quite high for stroke, heart attack or clot – i do take a baby aspirin daily i have also a high cardiolipin marker too and others – I now have heart problems – the concern is the aspirin may not be enuf.
    I posted some time back about the plac2 test on here.
    I went to a hematologist/oncologist who i was referred too 2 wk’s ago he felt we needed to look at other markers too in depth fibrin was one was glad to see someone asking for this i made a list on a thread on here under this title of hematologist oncologist – of what he is checking i go back to see him for the results this coming tues. The idea is to try to reduce inflammation I have taken a baby aspirin since last fall due to the high cardiolipin & rising then based on recommendation from my rheum but even though i have been on AP since last fall good for fighting inflammation & went on a anti inflammatory diet very strictly since May & gotten my blood levels looking good again in regard to Tri’s HDL LDL cholestrol etc. but some of my markers are still higher than they should be – this is directly tied in many of these markers to my Scleroderma & is causing much of this in inflammation.
    Obviously if you can get your disease under control this in turn can help but meantime the recommendation of aspirin is not bad – it can increase the action of AP. But from what i read clots that cause strokes etc – there are 3 mechanisms that contribute to this & aspirin only addresses one of these actions.
    If you have not done the PLAC2 test it is a good way to calculate your risk – and is more definitive than the CRP test alone.

If i get more info will post – obviously the heart & risks are what many of us deal with in these inflammatory diseases.

Jill Sd lyme & bartonella

cavalier
    Participant

most of this is already known & hopefully being done – but none the less a good article & how important controlling inflammation is for the heart – this is considered the higher risk and the cause of CHF –
    http://w3.newsmax.com/blaylock/60b.cfm

Jill SD Lyme & Bartonella

Lizz
    Participant

Hi Jill , yes it was a plac2 test, quite high, but my Dr. wasn’t too concerned about it so far, obviously I’ll keep an eye on it and soo sorry for all of your struggles, I wish you all the best and hope you feel alot better soon. Lizz

cavalier
    Participant

Lizz – My Cardio was not concerned about this being high either – but now i am having trouble … I wonder if she should have been, but medicine so often is not so proactive rather reactive. My other #’s look good as far as standard stuff goes.

I can tell you my hematologist/ oncologist & the Immunologist who referred me to the Hematologist both are concerned with this risk – they also know there is a strong history in my family for heart disease & my Mom died from a clot – all of which my Cardio knows as well.

I see the Hem. again on Tues – if i get anything from the further tests or recommendations I will be happy to share it – obviously no one wants to run the risk of stroke or to feel they didn’t try to avoid it.
    Best – Jill

cavalier
    Participant

Update in what I can add is not alot I saw the hematologist today – he said that the Cardiolipin panel is loosely associated with the PLAC2 test he recommends if you have not already run a cardiolipin blood test to do so & if that too is raised as mine is then take the baby aspirin a day. He had already run other markers but to him even though i have many lows & highs none of them were out of synch enuf for him to be worried – my cardiolipin still is high but not as high as it was & he is still concerned with that. i have no hereditary markers anyways which is good for clot risk – so what risk i have is from this or these diseases.

Best – jill

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lizz,
    @Lizz wrote:

I have not been on AP for almost a year, primarily because I can’t get it.

Is that because you can’t get a prescription for minocycline or doxycycline?

@Lizz wrote:

However my lipid/plaque levels are sky high, indicating high stroke risk. I’m surprised at this as I have low blood pressure and clean cartoid arteries per a sonogram.

Lp-PLA2 is lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2. It is an enzyme produced by inflammatory cells, so the fact you have a high level of Lp-PLA2 in your blood is probably not an indication that you have a poor diet. Are you taking any vitamins?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Lizz
    Participant

Hi Phil, thanks for asking. Am taking Ubiqinol 200mg a day,, Vit D. 10,00Iu’s a day, B-12 500 mcg a day, EFA fish Oil, lots, and Probiotics. I don’t eat junk food at all. I too think it’s up because it’s an inflammatory marker.
    I can’t get Ap these days because I am financially stuck with my HMO who won’t prescribe it, and my N.D. who I sneekily see on the side doesn’t believe in it. I had a bad experience with Dr. F. so won’t go back to him again. Right now, I’m dealing with inflammation, osteo knees and super bad anemia, which nobody knows what to do. I think a TNF blocker would end the anemia, but of course that’s the HMO choice, not mine.
    If you have any suggestions Phil, I would love the help. Despite all this, I am so much better than I was two years ago, where I spent all day on the couch and got into bed early. Now I go out, run errands and have an improved quality of life, but far from perfect. I credit my past AP use and my ND’s help.
    Thanks, Liz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.