Home Forums General Discussion Low eGFR

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kash
    Participant

I received my blood work today and it showed low eGFR, mine is 56 and normal range starts at 60. Dr. H wants to retest in 1-2 weeks. Anyone else have this show up on their blood work?

The only thing I am wondering is I had my bicillin shot in the morning of my blood test….don’t know if that would make a difference.

Thanks,
    Barb

Maz
    Keymaster

@Kash wrote:

I received my blood work today and it showed low eGFR, mine is 56 and normal range starts at 60. Dr. H wants to retest in 1-2 weeks. Anyone else have this show up on their blood work?

The only thing I am wondering is I had my bicillin shot in the morning of my blood test….don’t know if that would make a difference.

Hi Barb,

I haven’t had this marker measured, as far as I know, so unable to offer any insight on this, except that I think it’s used to measure kidney function and normal ref ranges may vary between ethnicities.

Here is a discussion about low eGFR on healthboards:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-459997.html

It appears that this lab is related to kidney function when low and may also be affected by diabetes. When high, it has other purposes.

Here’s another discussion on MedHelp:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Kidney-Disease–Disorders/Low-EGFR-Numbers/show/486041

Try not to get worried about this…you may be right and it could be related to your body trying to metabolize your bicillin shot as you had labs run right after taking your shot. Some meds can alter labs temporarily and cause these transient blips. Sounds like Dr. H. will be monitoring things and will follow up with more labs in a week or so – a good thing. 🙂

Hopefully, someone here can chime in with some more info for you. The above is just what I came across by doing quick searches on low eGFR.

hopefulmama
    Participant

Hey there,

I wouldn’t worry about this too much yet. Do you remember what you ate before you had the test?

I ask because I’ve had a full metabolic panel run several times in the last year. On one of them, I had a low eGfr as well (it was just below 60) and I freaked out! I was terrified and did all kinds of research about kidney failure. Then I found out that eating meat before having the test done could significantly affect the results. I can’t remember now if it was BUN or creatinine that was high (I think it was my creatinine) but either way, when they retested it a month later I made sure to eat a vegetarian meal the night before and no eggs or meat for breakfast and when my numbers came back they were fantastic.

A doctor I spoke to about this said that the numbers are highly variable and can be affected by diet.

So, I hope that helps. I think on that first test my creatinine level was 1.2 (very high) and at this point as of last testing it was at .8 which is ideal range. Every time they’ve tested it in between it has vacillated. I don’t worry any more when the eGfr comes in looking funky.

Take care and I will be praying that for you, it has the simple explanation that it had for me.

A

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.