Home Forums General Discussion Longer/shorter leg from arthritis???

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zeljana
    Participant

Hi!

Just now my daughter came back from ortopedic doctor and he saw fluid in her wright knee and left ankle. He sad that she have one leg longer than another and that maybe she will need some operation in future??? I am in shock!!!!
    I can not belive it! What is happening to my child?
    He also sad that she have genua valga ( x legs) and pedes adducti ( flat feet).
    Leg can be longer from steroids and inflammaton.
    She is only 5. What can we do?

What if I am causing her greater damage by refusing MTX and biologics?
    What if AP does not work for her?

Any advice?

Zeljana

Suzanne
    Participant

The length discrepancy can be caused by damage. The growth plates shut off. Do xrays or MRIs show damage?

Has she had steroid injections in her knees? We believe steroids can also cause this, if infection is present.

As far as mtx and biologics, no one here or anywhere really knows that answer. You have to do what you think is best for your child, and the decisions are never easy. I suggest making sure you aren’t just “anti” mtx and biologics, because they have a place for many patients. Learn what they can and can’t do. We tried mtx and our daughter got worse. Twice. But we still gave it a try.

As far as biologics, for JRA the only thing they are labeled for is to prevent signs and symptoms. We would have used them if our daughter needed them to function. Given her experience with mtx (which is normally used in conjunction with biologics so she’d be back on it too), it was not worth the risk solely for the hope of preventing damage. We can hope on our own.

You can call the biologic manufacturer and they will answer your questions. I have found that they are more realistic about what to expect than the rheums writing the prescription.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Anonymous
    Participant

@zeljana wrote:

Hi!

Just now my daughter came back from ortopedic doctor and he saw fluid in her wright knee and left ankle. He sad that she have one leg longer than another and that maybe she will need some operation in future??? I am in shock!!!!
    I can not belive it! What is happening to my child?
    He also sad that she have genua valga ( x legs) and pedes adducti ( flat feet).
    Leg can be longer from steroids and inflammaton.
    She is only 5. What can we do?

What if I am causing her greater damage by refusing MTX and biologics?
    What if AP does not work for her?

Any advice?

Zeljana

Hello Zeljana,

My daughter’s one leg was 1 cm longer than other. I have been told that body sends more blood to infected area that cause that part grow faster. I am not sure if that is still the case as they said sometimes after inflammation treated other leg might catch up.

I am sorry that you are having so much problem. Nuket

zeljana
    Participant

“Suzanne”]The length discrepancy can be caused by damage. The growth plates shut off. Do xrays or MRIs show damage?

We are waiting for date in the hospital to go on MRI…

Has she had steroid injections in her knees?

O yes, many times unfortunately.

As far as mtx and biologics, no one here or anywhere really knows that answer. You have to do what you think is best for your child, and the decisions are never easy. I suggest making sure you aren’t just “anti” mtx and biologics, because they have a place for many patients. Learn what they can and can’t do. We tried mtx and our daughter got worse. Twice. But we still gave it a try.

My daughter wason MTX for 7 month with no progress. I have read about biologics and I know that what I have found that I do not want to put her on it. Biologics has very dangerous side effects. I read reviews from patients on FDA page and some of them are realy scary…
    I decided not to go through that path after all. I was in bad shape yesterday but I am ok now. We will winn this, I know it and withouth bilogics.

Thank you for you help and advice!

Zeljana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.